FMIC question

Oct 12, 2005
I hacve juss been looking at the fmic on my leon and noticed it has loads of little stones in it from the roads. Is this normal....wont it damage it?

Thanks

slimjim

Professional Muppet
Feb 1, 2005
Telford, UK
www.jameshardacre.com
philtdi said:
I hacve juss been looking at the fmic on my leon and noticed it has loads of little stones in it from the roads. Is this normal....wont it damage it?

Thanks
Hoe have you been looking at the IC? Have you taken something off? Or is it visible from "the road"?

If you let the engine tick over... or get someone to rev it... listen to hear for any hissing coming from it.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
erm, i would guess that this could happen, but i'd hope that they are small and havent pierced the intercooler itself. Thats one good reason for having the honeycombe grille still covering it - if it was left open to the elements i would imagine it could get knackered quickly.

Oct 12, 2005
I was just looking through the grill and noticed that sum of the wire type things (dnt no what there called) had a few stones stuck in. I dnt think its a problem but may car has seemed a bit sluggish l8ly. I reckon coz of heat???

LCR mat

LCR Eater
Apr 4, 2004
merthyr Tydfil
philtdi said:
I was just looking through the grill and noticed that sum of the wire type things (dnt no what there called) had a few stones stuck in. I dnt think its a problem but may car has seemed a bit sluggish l8ly. I reckon coz of heat???

the 'wire type things' are used to disapate the heat. the air itself travels through the surprisingly narrow tubes running accross the width. if you take the intercooler off and look down the bit sticking out where the air goes in/out you'll see what i mean.
So as long as these tubes arent pierced you wont be leaking air

LCR mat

LCR Eater
Apr 4, 2004
merthyr Tydfil
intercooler.jpg

here is a pic without the end tanks.

Last edited:

slimjim

Professional Muppet
Feb 1, 2005
Telford, UK
www.jameshardacre.com
philtdi said:
Looking through the grill? Do you have am FMIC? Or can you really see the SMIC from behind the grill? Or are you talking about the engine/AC radiator?

:think:

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
slimjim said:
Looking through the grill? Do you have am FMIC? Or can you really see the SMIC from behind the grill? Or are you talking about the engine/AC radiator?

:think:
The PD150 diesels have a FMIC as standard. ;)

gazjones

yes they will just be traped in the finns and shouldnt affect it at all if you look at most car radiators they will have bent fins from stones bug or anything that can fit through the grill on the bumper

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.