Search results

1. Electrical issues?

Just revisiting this, as I don't think the car is back to normal yet. I had an issue with the braided wire on the starter motor that went up in smoke, but I got a replacement from a breakers. and the car is starting and running now. But when I was putting things back together yesterday (the...
  2. Starter motor

I was having some electrical problems a few weeks ago, I have another thread on that, but the last time I tried starting the car, it was starting ok, but don't ask me why, but when I parked it up where it is now, I thought the electrical problems were causing immobiliser shut-offs, so I tried...
  3. Electrical issues?

Will do with butyl tape if I get it running again, still parked up, but I haven't had time to look at it since. Quick question, when the key is used to switch off the car, and then removed from the ignition, do the two displays under the tachometer and speedometer also switch off, as in the...
  4. Electrical issues?

I did have that out some years ago, but cannot for the life of me remember if I used butyl tape, or silicone. There is a wire in that channel that has a grommet that I lathered in white silicone, so I might have done the same with the seal under the pollen box, as they were likely done at the...
  5. Electrical issues?

Thanks for the replies, just seeing them now. The car was parked up for about 3 weeks prior to the start of my story above, and it was a wet 3 weeks. I did have a bit of water in the passenger footwell, under the scuttle plate was clogged with muck, so I cleaned that out. Since last week, the...
  6. Electrical issues?

Having some electrical issues on a 2002 Mk1 Leon, hardly surprising for a 21 year old I suppose, but seeing if I can make things a bit more reliable.,.. I've had some flickering lights in the cluster, mainly the handbrake, but yesterday the TCS light was coming on, but I don't think it was on...
  7. Steering "funny" after replacing control arms

I replaced both control arms last weekend, as the rear rubber bearing was shot on drivers side, and not far behind it on the passenger side. Everything went ok, more or less (a few stiff bolts), and the setup looks fine, though I didn't get an alignment check yet. I've done a couple hundred...
  8. Rear light lens - leaking

I was wondering if anyone had any success resealing a rear light lens on these or other cars? There was a build up of water in one of mine, drivers side, the part attached to the tailgate, so it dumped a few mls of water into the boot when I opened it earlier. I took off the lens, and the...
  9. Oil on spark plugs

Just wondering, if the radiator fan bearing acting up would give a noticeable dramatic effect in the car? And other than allowing the engine to overheat, is there any way of making the fan turn on to see if it's working ok, like in vag-com or by shorting some connections? Reason for asking is...
  10. Oil on spark plugs

Oil level is a little high, just a bit off the hatched area, but not up past the knuckle, if you know what I mean. I have a pump & tubing that I can suck a little out with. If I was to say the rumble was coming from a particular area, when sitting in the driver seat, it felt like it was coming...
  11. Oil on spark plugs

Had the car in this morning, and after changing spark plugs, oil, oil filter and air filter, the car passed ok, the CO at low idle dropped from 0.38 to 0.17. So that was ok. However, I got stuck in crappy traffic on my way back to work (about 50 minutes for a less than 10 mile run), and I was...
  12. Oil on spark plugs

The car was in for the test about 10 days ago, failed on CO at low idle (0.38 when it should be less than 0.30). I dropped the car into a mechanic last week as there were other issues with the ball joints and track rod ends, and asked him to change the spark plugs as well, and I'm to change the...
  13. Front brake pad worn

Yes thanks, mine aren't very expensive, just bog-standard, I'm fairly sure I didn't see any arrows or marks on them, and I'm sure they would have been very visible if they were, and I did notice that one of the pads was for the piston-side, so hopefully I'm still observant enough that I would...
  14. Front brake pad worn

I finally got around to doing this today, I got Mintex discs, part number MDC1019C. It was only later that I was wondering if they are designed for a particular side, for the rotation of the wheel. I didn't notice any markings on the discs indicating that, but am unsure now. Looking at the old...
  15. Front brake pad worn

Thanks both for the hints and tips. I don't remember greasing the slide pins before, maybe that's where I went wrong. I'll give them a good clean and inspection, see if they're still straight and good enough. Caliper is fairly rusty alright, I'll make sure that the ears slide ok on the carrier...
  16. Front brake pad worn

Had a metal on metal noise the other morning, checked the pads at the front, and found that the inner pad on the driver side had worn down to nothing, the other 3 pads are all about the same amount left on them, which when comparing with the new pads I bought yesterday, is about half of the...
  17. AUX input

I have a stock Aura sound system in the Mk1 Leon, and would like to hook up the smartphone to the sound system, but there's no aux input available. So I found this on youtube, but it's in Spanish. I could probably figure it out, but the ads were killing it for me, so just wondering if anyone...
  18. Installing new alternator...

Yes, they moved across alright when the force was great enough. I looked at several videos and guides and none of them referred to this. It's not a big deal in the end, but when you've never done it before and you come up against it, some doubts do creep in. Couldn't find a post in the box, so...
  19. Installing new alternator...

The gap is too wide at the moment. But if the insert is brass, I guess it should move as it's being tightened. I just didn't know if I should adjust it when its still off, or in-situ with the tightening of the bolts. The unit is brand new, and the hole is clear. I'll have a look through the...
  20. Installing new alternator...

Trying to install a new alternator, the old one gave up. Got a new one, but the mounting points are a little wider. I presume the threaded inserts on the regulator side will slide over to meet the mount as the bolt is being tightened, but the inserts seem very stiff. Do they need to be oiled...
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.