Search results

1. LouG

Launch control

I used it for the first time yesterday. A friend has ordered a Cupra Ateca, she's been waiting 6 months and she's had a series of 1.4 and 2L Ateca demo cars to use. She's been concerned that the Cupra might not be powerful enough. So I demonstrated. I think the squeal meant she was convinced...
  2. LouG

Ethanol blend fuel

I've just starting using Gull Force 10 here, it's 98 octane with 10% ethanol. Until now I've been using BP 98, but having moved to an area where Gull operates I've discovered the rorts that BP in particular use. Like competing on the price of 91, but jacking up 95 and 98 prices to subsidise it...
  3. LouG

NZ second in the World for Cupra sales

Yeah, surprised me too. I don't know how they measured it, but we always win these things on a per capita basis. Seeing we're no larger than a big city. But they have sold 50. I suspect that's more than Type R's and maybe Golf R's.
  4. LouG

Coolant loss

Our Arona FR decided to spew it's coolant out. It didn't overheat and only emptied the reservoir. I removed the rad trim and could see coolant sprayed around the radiator and front of the engine but couldn't see exactly where it came from. Anyone had this happen? Luckily it didn't happen two...
  5. LouG

I'm ashamed to admit.

That I achieved an average 7.8 litres per 100 km's on our trip north last week over 650 km's. That's 35 mpg. It even got down to 6.6 on one stretch of flat straightish roads. I was driving like Miss Daisy because my wife was driving her Arona in convoy, so I had to go easy on the overtaking a...
  6. LouG

Cupra Arona

I've heard whispers from my dealer that this might be coming. Possibly a 2 litre with around 200hp. I've told him to let me know if the talk becomes more definite, my wife wants one.
  7. LouG

Cupra wins again (Not completely)

NZ Autocar mag just tested the WLTP spec Cupra against the Civic and new Megane. The Cupra slayed them to 100 km/h, 5.6 against 5.95 for the Civic and 6.25 on the Megane. But despite both the Cupra and the Megane being better all round cars, the muppets chose the Civic as winner because they're...
  8. LouG

MCM Golf R supercar.

Check this and part 2 out.
  9. LouG

Cupra R

We called in to the SEAT Store last Thursday as we were in Auckland, I like to catch up with the team when we're up there. So, we were offered a car for our stay, but we didn't really need one, then Dane offered us their Cupra R. It's a ex-demo manual, the only R in NZ, with 2200 km's on it. It...
  10. LouG

I love this car.

Call me juvenile, but a couple of days ago I was behind a Commodore SS-V (similar to the VXR V8 in the UK) 6.2L LS1 V8 etc, we pulled out of an intersection and he floored it, as did I, the look on his face was priceless as he realised a little hatchback was not only staying with him, but gaining.
  11. LouG

Happy New Year all.

I celebrated with a short excursion to 2 1/4 times the speed limit. Just because we can.
  12. LouG

Air horns

I've just fitted a Stebel horn to the Cupra, because in Nelson a loud horn is an essential device for waking up the ditherers on our roads. There's no room under the bonnet so I had to split the horn from the compressor and mount them separately. But when I wired it into the system I couldn't...
  13. LouG

What else did you try other than the Arona?

Call me biased but I've driven a Hyundai Kona 2 litre and a Toyota C-HR, both were low km rentals and we did 500 km's in them. Honestly, I thought both were rubbish. The Hyundai was so bad, I was surprised it was released like that. Jiggly ride, gutless engine, horribly vague auto and not very...
  14. LouG

Hi all,

I've been hanging out with the Cupra people for a while, we recently bought an Arona FR 1.0 for my wife, so I might drop in here from time to time if that's OK? Being a Cupra owner and all, I promise I'm not prejudiced.
  15. LouG

Anyone noticed

How your car seems to drive better when you've spent a morning waxing, detailing and generally pampering it? That must be why we call them she.
  16. LouG

235/40-19 PS4's

Has any tried the above? In difference with turn in, transitions etc? I've just discovered that Michelin don't do a 235/35-19, only in PS4S.
  17. LouG

Anyone had this happen?

These corrugations have just appeared on my steering wheel. It's not ring damage, and seems to be rougher when the wheel has been in the sun for a while.
  18. LouG

Tech ghost is f'n with me

So I picked up my wifes Arona last Friday, paired the phone and set up Android Auto using one of the cables that wouldn't connect on the Cupra, everything worked perfectly. When I got home I thought I'd try the same cable again on the Cupra - it bloody worked this time! Google is really taking...
  19. LouG

I think I have a problem, need an intervention.

We've just bought an Arona FR. 1.0 triple, DSG, in Desire Red with shiny 18" alloys. My wife's foot problems have been getting worse and the GT86 clutch seems to be aggravating it, so we were up in Auckland last weekend and called in at SEAT. She was quite taken by the Arona, and the deal was...