Search results

1. perelaar

What car insurers are people with?

Probably won't help a lot of people here, as you are UK based and I'm in Belgium - but, insured (house, cars, all of it) at KBC. Very happy with them, also when things go bad.
  2. perelaar

Five reasons why you SHOULDN'T buy an SUV...

Nice extra of driving a shiny red Cupra Ateca: you get to piss off all the eco-warriors in Brussels, and in Cupra mode people on a bike do hear you coming. That aside, an Ateca is smaller and lighter than any delivery van or people carrier - or any Tesla!
  3. perelaar

Range

Driving from mid Belgium to North of Italy, with lots of Autobahn fun: 300 miles max. Normal traffic, not speeding: we've got it close to 400 miles - but that is with my wife driving.
  4. perelaar

surprising increase in fuel use when towing

Diesel, yes. 2.7 TDI, converting diesel in noise and vibration.
  5. perelaar

Digital Display

I can confirm: Waze using Apple CarPlay will only show on the main screen in the middle of the dashboard, not in front of the driver. And with limited functionality: lots of options are not available using CarPlay (iPhone 7).
  6. perelaar

Five reasons why you SHOULDN'T buy an SUV...

Why SUV - Cupra Ateca in our case? Main reason not to go for a Leon ST Cupra: higher ground clearance. Lots of city traffic in Brussels, sleeping policemen everywhere. To the point some roads we have to take to work will cause the car bumper to hit the tarmac - every time, any speed. Also lots...
  7. perelaar

Experience after first long drive, highway and Dolomites

Not that I can tell - sport and cupra mode yes, gearstick back only affects engine response. And sound.
  8. perelaar

winter tyres for Cupra Ateca?

Tyre center did not mention anything about this, as far as I could see it was a simple swap.
  9. perelaar

winter tyres for Cupra Ateca?

No idea if they are self-sealing, if I'm not mistaken the summer tyres on mine are Pirelli. No issue at all with change over, running on Goodyear Ultragrip now (same size, 245/40 R19). Speed index a little bit lower than standard. Definitively feel the difference, bit more vibration and noise...
  10. perelaar

tailgate struts issue?

I have the impression at least one of the struts is broken - hinges are fine, WD40 didn't help. It's added to the to-do list for the first maintenance in 2 weeks.
  11. perelaar

Condensation In light clusters

We had a 2014 Leon ST FR and a Leon "Style", last series with the 1.9TDI, never any condensation. Also not in the Cupra Ateca we have now, nor in our Fiat Panda.
  12. perelaar

tailgate struts issue?

Since a while we've noticed the tailgate on our Cupra Ateca (manual, not electric) opens very slowly and often gets stuck halfway. Car is checked in to the dealer early January, so I'll definitively mention it there. But anyone here with the same issue? Or with a DYI remedy - don't have good...
  13. perelaar

As dull as dish water

Not a sports car, but a first generation BMW X1 was the worst car we've ever had. Company car, 118d with x-drive. No performance at all, not handling well, and I particularly remember very heavy steering and uncomfortable seats.
  14. perelaar

I know, but I never experienced such a big difference before. When towing a similar trailer with my long-dead Nissan Terrano2 I hardly got a liter more, if at all (avg fuel consumption in that one was 12,5l/100km).
  15. perelaar

Last weekend we used the (optional extra) foldaway towhook on the Cupra Ateca. Mrs perelaar insisted on visiting Ikea for new cupboards, so trailer rented, and off we went. Single axle trailer, about 2,5m long. Tip: don't go to Ikea on Saturday afternoon. On the way there with an empty trailer...
  16. perelaar

Do you do Ron Ron ?

I've tried both, in the Cupra and in my Fiat Panda twinair, and can't notice any difference except in the wallet. 95 RON goes for 1,304€/l here, 98 for 1,476€/l. At >40k km per year, and averaging 10l/100km, makes close to 800€ less fuel cost for the Cupra. For the Panda, at 8,5l and 20k km...
  17. perelaar

What will it take to get an Ibiza 1.2 fr 110bhp to 140/150 bhp

You might get away with a software tuning, but keep in mind brakes, suspension etc might not be up to it...
  18. perelaar

Driving in france

No idea about restrictions, but they don't like fast cars - or cars that look fast. When we go to Strassbourg we take the long way round, through Germany, due to the overzealous police in France.
  19. perelaar

Driving in france

Be careful when driving - French police are clamping down on speeding a lot these days, and they also use private companies in anonymous cars to check speed (and phone use, distance to car in front etc). These get paid by result, and I have heard unconfirmed rumours they are not "sollicitating"...
  20. perelaar

Most Hideous / Embarassing Courtesy Cars

Friend brought in for maintenance (years ago) a Porsche Panamera Turbo S to the dealership he bought it from here in Belgium - and had to pay 30€ / day for courtesy car. He received a VW Polo Fox, 60 hp diesel, without airco or radio. Never went back to that dealer, only buys his Porsche cars...