Search results

1. Bye bye SEAT, hello Skoda

One of the you tube reviews I read was an Australian chap. I think you can only get it with the auto box over there? 7 year warranty sounds wonderful doesn't it? Why do we tolerate just 3 years? I'd have thought the conditions in some parts of Australia are tougher on the car than over here.
  2. Bye bye SEAT, hello Skoda

Thank you. I could have gone on a lot more but managed to curb myself! VAG products are not perfect but compared to their competition I think they get a lot of things "sensibly" right. For instance with regard to this Scala. It has a solid flywheel - mine's a triple although I think the 4...
  3. Bye bye SEAT, hello Skoda

Ok, so here we go with Part 2. If ever you needed some motivation to apply anti seize to the mounting hub for the wheel then look at this: It's corrosion, already starting on the locating part of the hub where the alloy wheel locates. Slightly disappointing to see on a car with just 9 miles...
  4. Bye bye SEAT, hello Skoda

Well, I took ownership of "Bluey" the Scala on 28th Feb so had her for just under three weeks now. She fit's on my wee run off parking place just right: She's actually slightly longer - and a wee bit wider - than my previous Ibiza ST (estate) and I'd been wondering if her "derriere" would...
  5. Bye bye SEAT, hello Skoda

Aye, we're not that far from the crematorium and when there's a really big funeral folk park all over the place, mostly with 2 wheels on the pavement, in the surrounding streets. Lord help us if a fire engine, or maybe even an ambulance, is going to need access as even a motor cycle could have...
  6. Bye bye SEAT, hello Skoda

Absolutely, anyway, a lower centre of gravity has to make sense in any situation? A big SUV seems to be something you don't want in Edinburgh just now anyway. There's recently been some sort of environmental vigilante group going round targeting them. A few months ago they went round the centre...
  7. Bye bye SEAT, hello Skoda

Although it's slightly bigger it's the nearest I could find. So many are "pretending" to be SUVs now a days and I just don't find myself attracted to that style of vehicle. Anyway, regardless of all that I found it a nice car to drive although I think the 2 year old used example I drove on test...
  8. Bye bye SEAT, hello Skoda

Ha ha. hope you enjoy your new superb! I've had quite a bit of experience of land Rovers and I love the more basic "Farmer" types however the more luxurious and newer they are, well, lets just say I think you'll be much better off with the Superb if you want your journeys to be made with...
  9. Bye bye SEAT, hello Skoda

Ok, I think I get it now. On your highways both these vehicles will be great but on our small winding roads the "Landy" is quite a handful whereas the Skoda would be much more agile.
  10. Bye bye SEAT, hello Skoda

Wow, that's two very very different cars. What makes you compare the two? Personally I'd come down on the side of the Superb every time. Although I have a love hate relationship with series Land Rovers. I presume we're talking a Skoda Superb here and not some American vehicle of that name?
  11. Bye bye SEAT, hello Skoda

Not posted much on here for some time, been busy with a family bereavement and with my small Fiat obsession, especially if it involves Pandas. However, after a lot of soul searching and deep thought I decided it was time for a change of vehicle. Our Ibiza ST has suffered a number of problems...
  12. Brake Fluid Top Up?

without wishing to give any offence, I would beg to differ. As the pads wear they become thinner so the caliper pistons come to rest protruding further from their bores. The more worn the pads are the further the pistons protrude from the caliper bore when at rest. To compensate for this fluid...
  13. Brake Fluid Top Up?

The big thing you need to be aware of is that there are three main types of brake fluid. Mineral based which is used in only a very small minority of vehicles - early Citroens, some Rolls Royce etc, so it's rare to find an "every day" car which uses it. Silicon based which is also very rare and...
  14. Leaving this forum?

I've been a forum member for a while now and completely agree with the above. I've had friendly and well informed help and advice and some just "interesting" conversations with other members. I'm slightly falling out of love with my "problem child" Ibiza just now. She's getting one last chance...
  15. EA211 timing belt/water pump replacement.

I've got a few things like that which have been acquired on the spur of the moment due to me perceiving them to be good value. For instance the special crow foot I bought for doing the lock nuts on the Pinto when adjusting valve clearances. Made doing the middle ones much easier. Strange...
  16. EA211 timing belt/water pump replacement.

Just a wee update on my Ibiza situation - if anybody is interested? We've been running around Edinburgh and out into Midlothian during the summer but haven't run up a helluva lot of miles. The wee "tumbly knocking" noise I'm attributing to wear in the O/S inner driveshaft plunge joint is now a...
  17. EA211 timing belt/water pump replacement.

Like your pal, I suppose the big advantage that chaps like us have is years of listening to things that have gone wrong and knowing when it's something you are likely to get away with and when it's not - Bang and stop on a "smart" motorway is just not to be entertained as a possibility! Aint no...
  18. EA211 timing belt/water pump replacement.

I didn't pay extra to have the old box opened up because it was so obviously a catastrophic failure with lots of "glitter" in the drained oil indicating the internals were well contaminated with metallic particles. That said, from the noises, it's pretty obvious it was a final drive problem -...
  19. EA211 timing belt/water pump replacement.

Thanks RUM. It's early days at this time so plenty of time to try it out and think about things. By the way, cup holders? what are they all about? you shouldn't be drinking cups of coffee, or anything else, while driving surely? Edit. As regards damage to the plunge joint when the shaft was...
  20. EA211 timing belt/water pump replacement.

Well, damn it, here we go again! Been hearing a wee rotational knocking noise for some time now. Took quite a bit of checking to find it. Not obvious with car suspended on stands but then put it up on my ramps and with the drive shafts now in the same position as when running there's obvious...
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.