Search results

1. Bye bye SEAT, hello Skoda

Not posted much on here for some time, been busy with a family bereavement and with my small Fiat obsession, especially if it involves Pandas. However, after a lot of soul searching and deep thought I decided it was time for a change of vehicle. Our Ibiza ST has suffered a number of problems...
  2. Some experiences with torque wrenches

I posted, a wee while ago, about my experiences with Brake pipe flaring tools: https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/brake-pipe-flaring-tools.466163/#post-5032196 and a couple of people made interesting replies. In particular EduardoHope01 who said he particularly enjoyed this type of post. I...
  3. EA211 timing belt/water pump replacement.

I think this one might interest you RUM. As a younger man I earned my living in garage workshops and actually ended up instructing in light vehicle repair and maintenance before going off at a tangent all together at aged 50. I've replaced many timing belts in my time and many of them by the...
  4. Final advice on 1.5 TSI before buying.

My older boy is looking for an estate car to replace his ancient - 2007 plate - 1.6 Astra estate. He needs an estate for various good reasons which are not particularly important here. I had a thread running in the Leon (2012-2020) section entitled "Buying a Leon estate - advice please" where...
  5. Buying a Leon estate - advice please

Need your help folks. My younger boy has had an Astra estate for so long it seems like forever. He uses it for his signwritting business so it has his collapsing ladder, paint pots, rolls of vinyl, etc, etc, all stuffed in the back. He needs the estate for the extra length to accommodate the...
  6. I'm devastated! Pilrig Motors is to close

Pilrig Motors is a wee "old school" motor accessory shop - but oh so much more. Situated on Edinburgh's famous, some might say infamous, Leith Walk it's been there for as long as I can remember. It probably opened before I was born - and I'm now in my mid 70s. Run by the Banks family, laterly 3...
  7. Continuation of thread "Clonks clunks and rattles"

I'm back with the second part of the thread I posted a few minutes ago and this is really more for those of us with less experience who may be wondering about some of the stuff I've been mentioning. I mentioned the anti-roll bar bushes. Here is the O/S one on mine just after I sprayed some...
  8. Front suspension - clunks, clonks, rattles.

This thread involves "stuff" I've observed to do with my 6J 2016 Ibiza but may be applicable to many others so I've decided to post here rather than in the dedicated Ibiza thread. Ok, so what's he on about I hear the cry go up. Well, I've seen a number of posts on this forum, and in other...
  9. Vibroshock - A "magic" wee tool

I wasn't very sure where best to make this post because it's about a tool rather than a car, so apologies if I'm in the wrong place with it. It's a tool I became aware of maybe 10 years ago or so when we were going over to visit our daughter and family regularly in the 'States when they were...
  10. Varta Battery transport vent hole seal.

I've been talking about my battery woes in RUM's thread about his rusted and snapped subframe bolt but decided to start this new thread because I wanted you all to pick up on this particular subject in relation to my new battery in the hope someone can advise me. I've just had the battery...
  11. New Battery and Coding it to the car with VCDS

Hi everyone. The Ibiza is now 6 years old and the Stop/Start has begun to be "unavailable" especially if the car hasn't been driven for a couple of days. It wakes up again after about 15 minutes of driving or if I put it on charge overnight - CTEC "smart" charger correctly connected to negative...
  12. Rust neutralizer/passivator - What's best

Apart from my "good" car, which at this time is a 2016 Ibiza 1.0 litre ST, I've, for many years, run various fiat Pandas as a second car - and often some sort of "project" going on as well. So I'm no stranger to rust and the ongoing "battle" it presents on older cars. I've recently done a major...
  13. Brake pipe flaring tools

I've been engaging in a discussion in the Leon Mk3 section about spark plugs and we got into the problem of the coils and torque tightening. the person involved didn't have a torque wrench so I offered some opinions around that. A torque wrench is quite a specialized piece of kit where quite a...
  14. Falken tyres?

My "good" car is the Ibiza but we've run Fiat Pandas as second cars for many years, current one being a 2010 1.2 Dynamic Eco. (with, ooooh, a glass sunroof! Which hasn't leaked - so far.) Anyway it's O/S/R tyre (a Barum Brillantis 2 - a make I like a lot) started loosing pressure very slowly...
  15. Sump Plugs

Sump plugs, a subject often discussed I'm sure. My wee aluminium sump'd 1.0 litre 95Hp 3 cylinder Ibiza has a quite long, M14 x 1.5 plug with a non removable steel washer. It's about twice the length of the one, same diameter and thread, that was used in my old 1.9 tdi VE steel sump'd Cordoba...
  16. EA 211 water pump - a nightmare?

I just posted this in the thread about sump plugs but realized many people might not see it so thought I'd just copy it to here under it's own heading as I think it's very interesting. Oh dear. I just keep on finding more things to worry me about my Ibiza's wee 1.0 3 cylinder CHZB engine. She's...
  17. Ibiza Toca engine noise

I'm trying to get ahead of the game by asking this question. My neighbour has one of the above, If I remember correctly it's on a 2014 or 15 plate. It has the old 16 valve twin cam port injected engine which has been around for years - You know, the one which has one cam driven from the crank...
  18. AVW Autocentre Edinburgh - heads up!

I had to go out past their workshop this afternoon and all the workshop doors were open! Could be that they have decided to resume business? If you're desperate a phone call might be in order?
  19. Battery charging where there's an electronic sensor

I started getting into this a wee while ago and I think I remember RUM4MO giving me an answer. Unfortunately I can't remember all of it and anyway I've been reading some more on google in the meantime. I also have some more specific knowledge of applying this to my 2016 Ibiza 1.0 3 cylinder...
  20. Edinburgh Independant workshop

Being Edinburgh based my "go to" independent workshop for all things VAG (and other) is the AVW autocentre on the Gilmerton road. They've done a number of jobs on my older boy's two Skodas over the years and helped me out with, amongst other things, pressing a particularly reluctant front wheel...
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.