Search results

1. starting problem

I have a '06 Toledo Mk III (Big arsed Altea) and it has exactly the same problem now since it was about 2 years old, I have learned to live with it as there are never any fault codes. It would be interesting to find out what causes it though. Like you, it starts instantly from cold...
  2. arosa is dead again =(

problem now solved - starter motor had died and fried itself by fusing what remained of the brushes to the commutator. New starter motor had her turning over like a new car, fires in a split second and off she goes...
  3. arosa is dead again =(

I've got the exact same problem on my 99 1.0 arosa. Cant turn over the engine when warm - like a flat battery, but even when jumped from another battery still wont start, so its not bad battery, must be dud starter motor - will have pull start it with a rope and bring to garage. will let you...
  4. 2004 ALTEA - broken tailgate release ?

Toledo boot lock I just wanted to say I tried the DIY fix on my 2006 Toledo MK III boot lid lock - same problem as with other posters, the microswitch pushrod had worn down over the years so that it was no longer able to close the switch contacts when pushed by the cam lobe in the 'handle'. The...
  5. Heater blower motor failure?

If the resistor was at fault the heater motor would run at full speed all the time - the 'stepped' resistors apply resistance to the current flowing through the circuit which slows down the motor to a lower speed effectively. I had this problem at one stage also - when resistors break down...
  6. Transmission whine / Gearbox oil ?

Thanks for the help so far guys. I have checked the sticker thats on the inside of my service book, and i cant see a code for the gearbox, only the engine code which is BJB. i'll try to see if i can see a code stamped or cast onto the gearbox.
  7. Transmission whine / Gearbox oil ?

Hi, Yes I have the handbook, Gearbox oil is not mentioned - it seems to be a mythical topic for SEAT/VW, along the lines of 'you will never need to change it, so you dont need to know what grade it is'....
  8. Transmission whine / Gearbox oil ?

I've recently noticed a bit of a final drive/diff whine starting to develop at cruising speeds in my '06 Toledo Tdi, 75K miles (Manual 5 speed) transmission. I'm putting this down to normal wear and tear, as the car hasn't had a hard life, but in any previous car that I've owned I have changed...
  9. EGR leaking oil

Help! The EGR which sits just before the intake manifold on my '06 1.9 TDi Toledo (75K miles) has started leaking dirty black engine oil which is running down the back of the block and making a dirty mess of the bottom of the engine/sump and undertray. I think the oil (which is coming from...
  10. Arosa MkI courtesy light sensor?

Thanks for the help guys! You were right - while I had the lower door card off yesterday to change the door strap (to get rid of clunk-clunk-clunk sound when opening door) I noticed the neatly hidden wiring loom which runs all the way back tot he inner door locking mechanism - i fumbled...
  11. Arosa MkI courtesy light sensor?

Hi Gang, My missus's 1999 (pre face lift) 1.0 Arosa has recently decided to no longer switch on the courtesy light when the driver's door i open - works fine for the passenger door. It is the very basic trim version with no central locking or electric windows - ie manual locking on both...
  12. Heater blower motor failure?

Update from me.... I found that by removing the motor (from its plastic cage) that you can oil the bearings/bushes that it spins on ...with liberal application of 3-in-1 oil. This fixed the squeak...I'm going to oil it every 6 months from now on, esp after the winter road salt. The other...
  13. Heater blower motor failure?

Hi Guys, well my blower motor is still working, but is VERY noisy and squeals something awful - the first one went the same way. Eventually the resistor bank burnt out also - perhpas due to heavy loa don the motor as it was seizing up. Eventually it only worked on fan setting #4. Car was...
  14. Heater blower motor failure?

Has anyone else had their heater / aircon blower motor fail ? My '06 Toledo with 55K miles has just eaten its second. It hasnt stopped completely, but has developed a bad squeak - that sounds like semi-seized bearings / bushes - same as the first one. My guess is that after a winter of sucking...
  15. Well happy with new car, but....

Irish Alteas and Toledos came with space saver spare wheels as standard, fitted in polystyrene holder in the wheel well with jack and brace. Exactly the same one as appears in VW, Skoda, Audi etc.
  16. Wearing Tyres

Got 24000 miles out of a pair of Bridgestone Pontenzas on the front of my 105hp 1.9 tdi reference. Had bad inside wear on the back tyres during the first year of life - got 4 wheel laser tracking done, the camber wangle was way out of spec - the tech said a lot of SEATs are out of spec when...
  17. Altea Tyres

Goodyear Eagle F1GSD-3's - brilliant wet tyre, very good and smooth in the dry too. one of the best, very reasonable now as they have just been replaced with a new Goodyear design instead (Eagle assymetric).
  18. Low MPG

1.9tdi (v. similar but slightly heavier than equivalent Altea) Toledo - 2 years old, 40,000 miles done. Averaging 43-44mpg without aircon on daily 30 mile B road commute. Have never broken 50 mpg, likewise never gone into the 30's either. True MPG is a lot lower than displayed mpg on the...
  19. 2009 Toledo

Who the hell drives a saloon any more ? They belong to the 1970s - Rest In Peace. Its a shame the MkIII Toledo is being retired - it is a fine competent practical car, just because some people didnt like the curved rear window and large boot it is being replaced with a Bora lookalike ??
  20. Arosa made in Spain?

Mk1's are German built (as Lupo's, basically, but with Arosa panels & trim). BTW, Polo's of the same era were all built in Spain alongside the Ibiza / Cordoba line...