Search results

1. Winter diesel info

Hi all I recently sent a few questions about winter diesel to a well known fuel company, and (eventually) got a reply back. I thought some might find this interesting, especially considering the temps we got down to in the UK last winter (think I saw -18ºc in Derbyshire, sure others saw...
  2. Does this used clutch & DMF sound like it's worth buying ?

Hi all I've been offered a used clutch & DMF that will fit my Passat TDI 130. My existing clutch has been slipping off and on for a while, and soon the gearbox is getting changed as the diff bearings are going, so I was going to get a new clutch done at the same time. My car is currently on...
  3. Some photos of my EGR change

Not the most exciting photos available on t'interweb, but I changed the EGR on my Passat (PD130) yesterday and thought I'd mark the occasion. The existing EGR (135,000 miles under it's belt) was leaking *lots* of oil out of the small holes in the side of the body. Even though I think it...
  4. Anyone used Ferodo DS3000 pads for road use ?

Hi all Was wondering if anyone has used Ferodo DS3000 pads for road use ? Am looking for a set of front pads for the Passat (312mm) and was going to go ahead with DS2500s, but then I read about the DS3000. Are these useable on the road, or is the cold performance quite poor ? Also -...
  5. Popping boost pipe joints - a cheap fix....

OK, as many will know, the inlet/boost pipe fittings used on the VAG TDIs are prone to popping apart. If the two small retaining lugs on the end of the pipe get worn or damaged, it's often a downhill slope - once it's happened, it's quite likely to happen again. Each time the joint comes apart...
  6. Corrosion resistant discs ?

Hi all Are there any brake discs that have a corrosion-resistant coating, that will prevent (or at least reduce) the amount of corrosion that occurs on the outer edge ? I think that some of the EBC discs come with a black coating, and some images I've seen of Black Diamoind discs look like...
  7. PD130 - no boost until 3000+rpm when cold...?

Evening :wave: I have a little problemette with my PD130. It's a 2002/52 plate Passat with the AVF PD130 engine, remapped, on 93k miles. Essentially the same PD130, ECU etc as in most Ibizas, Leons etc. I have no boost at all until the engine reaches around 3000rpm, after which it...
  8. Light throttle hesitation

I've noticed quite a few times recently, that the engine in my Passat (PD130, AVF) feels like it stutters/hesitates when accelerating gently on very light throttle. Under heavier acceleration everything is fine, it pulls well throughout the rev range. For this reason I don't think it's MAF...
  9. 2.5 TDI (BDG engine) - anyone know if it's a PD ?

Hi all Does anyone know whether a 2.5 TDI, engine code BDG, is a PD engine or not ? A colleague at work has an Audi A4 with this engine, it's out of warranty now so is being serviced outside of the dealer network. Wanted to make sure the independent puts the right oil in :) Not sure if...
  10. Fault codes from a 1.4 Polo - advice ?

Hi all A colleague of mine has been having problems with his Polo. It's a 1.4 petrol, 2004 or 2005 reg (can't remember now). Symptoms: Engine has cut out on a number of occasions, at least once in a pretty dangerous situation (outside lane of motorway!). When this happens, the rev...
  11. Thread previews on mouseover, not working in IE ?

Morning When I view the forums using IE6, the thread previews that would appear when you mouse over thread title links seem to have stopped working. They used to work fine. Works fine when I'm viewing in FF though ? :shrug:
  12. Starting hesitation

Anyone else have the same problem ? Car is an 03 TDI Sport with 98k on the clock. Whenever I turn the key to start up first thing in the morning, there's a noticeable delay between turning the key to the start position, and the starter bursting into life. Up to a couple of seconds on...
  13. Joining the Mk4 crowd. Again !

Hi all Well, as from tomorrow I'll be a Mk4 owner again ! In case you hadn't already read about it, I'm buying my old Mk4 back again. Why ? Well the Passat isn't giving me the economy I need (rarely exceeds 40mpg) and it's reached 144k miles, guess it won't last forever....plus we've...
  14. Prices paid for older Mk4 TDI Sports ?

Hello all Just wondering what sort of prices people have paid recently for older (2002/2003) TDI 130 Sports, and what mileages they were on ? Might be buying my old one back, just want to see what the going rates are - as price guides don't always reflect current going rates in my...
  15. Split Intercooler

Since owning the Passat, I've always noticed a very faint hiss under boost, and never tracked it down. Anyway, floored it tonight, and the faint hiss turned into the sound of a hurricane whenever I go anywhere near the accelerator :( Got home OK (no limp mode ???), and the bottom end tank...
  16. Has anyone ever measured the improvement from brake upgrades ?

Just wondered if anyone had actually measured the improvements given by various braking upgrades. While I've done a couple of 312mm conversions myself and can feel an obvious difference, I wondered if anyone has ever done any testing on stopping distance improvements etc ??
  17. Did any Cupra TDIs have curtain airbags ?

I seem to recall that curtain airbags were an option on Cupra TDIs - am I right ? I haven't seen them mentioned on any used cars I've seen adverts for. Or did they just become standard on Ibizas anyway ?
  18. Overheating TDI

Since buying the Passat I've covered about 44,000 miles - and during that time, the temperature guage has stuck firmly at 90º (except when warming up from cold, obviously...) regardless of outside temp, driving style, etc etc. About a week ago, I got a warning on the dash display to "Check...
  19. Mk4 Cupra TDI standard equipment & options

Hi all I'm trying to suss out what equipment was fitted as standard, and what options have been available, on Mk4 Cupra TDIs since they were launched. I used to have an 03 TDI Sport, with lots of extra goodies that I specced in Europe (ESP, Xenons, rain sensor, dimming mirror, etc etc)...
  20. DPF Emergency Regeneration

Ross-tech have just put this procedure on their Wiki, might be of interest to owners of TDIs with DPFs who also own vag-com.... http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Diesel_Particle_Filter_Emergency_Regeneration It gives some clues as to what the 4 sensors fitted around the DPF do, as the...
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members