Search results

1. Big Ejit

Battery Choice

There's no harm in getting a slightly higher spec battery so long as the case size is the same to fit in the battery tray. This time last year, I swapped the original 9yo battery in our 54 1.9tdi for a Honda EFB of the same L3 case size rated with 70/620. This was a higher rated battery than the...
  2. Big Ejit

Squeaky Windows !!

Check out post #75. I used the light oils I keep for my Mountain Bike. It worked a treat until the cables frayed in the motor mech, then the reg had to come out anyway.
  3. Big Ejit

Driving with a turbo

If its going to happen, there's not a lot you can do about it. So why worry. I am sure if there was a serious issue, there would be VAG diesels littering the highways. Even if 0.5% of the vehicles with a BXE engines were to fail, you would see one with the bonnet up at the side of the road at...
  4. Big Ejit

Driving with a turbo

Just drive it normally. It was engineered to cope with ordinary day to day driving in the first place. In the city, it won't make any difference how you drive it because you can't go that quickly for long enough anyway. You only need to cool a modern factory fit turbo if you have been full...
  5. Big Ejit

Tailgate Lock Not Working

Wimbledonian, I think your link has gone wrong...
  6. Big Ejit

Tailgate Lock Not Working

Its failed. You need a new one. It can be temp fixed by pushing a pawl over by the pull mechanism to the handle but you have to do this every time its opened.
  7. Big Ejit

Squeaky Windows !!

Managed to identify the squeaky part of the window regs in both front doors on our 54 plater. Both front windows had been squealing for the last 2 summers and now they are fixed after 20 mins per side and a bit of lube. After cleaning and lubing up the cables and sliders, the noise was still...
  8. Big Ejit

New Altea owner... a couple of q's

Use this first:- http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=252766&highlight=altea+lock To open it, drop the rear seats, climb into the boot, use a screwdriver to flick the lever in the slot in the tailgate trim by the lock itself.
  9. Big Ejit

What are the alteas common faults

54 plate 1.9TDi 78K 4 years owned Squeaky front windows in the summer Slight rattle off DMF but not worth replacing yet Long cranking time when hot Spark erosion of tail light bulb soldered tip LHR Wheel bearing replaced Rear door handle switch worn = doesn't open. Fixed with Araldite...
  10. Big Ejit

Brake pads...

Don't scrimp on brakes or tyres!!! Go for Ferodo DS2500. They are every bit as good as the OEM Galfer pads and come in around £100 -£120. Really good if you mis-judge something and need to make a 'BIG' stop from high speed and the work well with the OEM discs. The only down sides... No...
  11. Big Ejit

Random Dead Battery

Short trips + All the electrics on + low ambient temps = Dead batteries (esp ones around 5 years old) More batteries fail in the winter than the summer.
  12. Big Ejit

Rear lights

First of all, if you swapped the bulb from the old unit to the new, check the soldered tip on the bulb housing hasn't 'flattened' off through arcing - thats why the old holder 'failed'!!! Just add more solder to it so that it is rounded again or swap it. If that is OK. Then... Make sure...
  13. Big Ejit

door lock cover :(

They are only about a fiver for the covers from any VAG dealers, paint is about the same each for a can of colour and clearcoat + a few hours spraying and waiting. The chrome fittings tend to fit over the originals. If the originals not there, the chrome one ain't got anything to stick to.
  14. Big Ejit

LCR suspension knocking... quick question.

Clock the steering over to the RHS and check the rear bush in the LH wishbone behind the wheel. They creak when the rubber separates from the aluminium tube in the middle. You can DIY, £30 for the bushes and a couple of hours work.
  15. Big Ejit

what have you done to your car today ?

Sold it and bought a Saab Turbo X wagon.
  16. Big Ejit

Car totally immobilised - help please!

Batteries die more fequently in the cold weather. If it is at 9V & 5 years old, it is for scrapping for sure and well past its best. I wouldn't even boost it just to get the car moving (unless you are going straight to the dealers to get a replacement) as it will leave you stranded. It will...
  17. Big Ejit

Exeo Diesel LHS exit exhaust for petrol twin mod

Apparently the Audi Quattro based exhaust systems on the RS/S4/DTM are too fiddly to fit to 2WD vehs. Too much cutting and shutting, swearing, cussing and scraped knuckles from the props and diff. OP, if you could take a quick snap of the underside around the rear suspension (especially the...
  18. Big Ejit

Exeo Diesel LHS exit exhaust for petrol twin mod

So I have been looking into changing the ST 170 Diesel LH side exiting pipes for the twin system on the petrol as I think it has a better look without being aftermarket OTT. http://www.automobilesreview.com/pictures/seat-exeo-st/seat-exeo-st-04.html There is some info on the Audi sites for...
  19. Big Ejit

The reason old people shouldn't be allowed to drive......

I guess that answers this:- http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=320382 Gutted for you...
  20. Big Ejit

2004 ALTEA - broken tailgate release ?

Your Tolly trim panel seems to be similar to the Altea trim panel so I will go though what I did on our Altea. 1, Take the screw out of the pull handle(s) (plus remove any other screws visible) 2, Starting at one edge of the trim panel, pull it down releasing each 'arrow head' metal clip...