Search results

1. Where Do I Stand?

Yea that's true. Should have looked at it that way aswell. I think the garage is ok coz my neighbour used to get his Supra serviced ect... by them and i don't think i'd let just anybody touch my Supra - if i had one ;) Anyway, i got the car back earlier and i'm pleased to say it's back to...
  2. Where Do I Stand?

I ordered a brake bleeding kit and brake fluid the other day when i thought they needed bleeding so i'm gonna do that myself anyway... I did think it was a bit pointless keeping the old pads, lol...
  3. Where Do I Stand?

Oh yea. He said the driver's side pads were binding because something was pressing the hub onto them, or something like that, i can't remember... He demonstrated this by having me pump the brake pedal to make it firm, and hold the pedal down slightly, then he moved something and the pedal came...
  4. Where Do I Stand?

The guy came out to have a look at the car yesterday and he said it's the CV joint that's gone. He said it was probabaly on it's way out and that he may have disturbed it when changing the wheel bearings. I ordered a new CV joint from GSF but the guy gave me the wrong part number. He said...
  5. Where Do I Stand?

Yea that's true... Would they have needed bleeding after refitting? I just rang him and he said a brake pad could have come off or something. He's going to come out and use my trolly jack and axle stands to see if he can see what's wrong. He's coming with a recovery truck aswell so if he...
  6. Where Do I Stand?

Thanks for the replies. I checked to see if it was the cv last night and i don't think it is... I held the car on full lock and drove round in circles slowly listening for any noises. I couldn't hear any when turning right, when i turn left there's a horrible high pitch screeching noise. I...
  7. Where Do I Stand?

Just took the car out again and it is f:censored:d! The noise kind of went, for no reason what so ever, then came back when i turned right. Now when turning right there is a HORRIBLE griniding and knocking noise. The brakes are binding, strangling the wheels so every so often, quite often...
  8. Clutch Pedal Stuck To Floor... Sticky Cable?

Thanks for the replies. Something to bear in mind. If i'm lucky the pedal just got stuck on the mat... I doubt it though with the luck i have with cars!
  9. Where Do I Stand?

Hey guys hoping you can offer a little advice. (Again) I had my wheel bearings changed the other day and i think the guy hasn't done it right. The car still makes a horrible noise when driving. Different to the noise that was there before, but just as loud. It sounds like an old train on the...
  10. Clutch Pedal Stuck To Floor... Sticky Cable?

The other day, while stopped at a roundabout, my clutch pedal stuck to the floor!! I think it's a sticky cable as i eventually freed it by pulling it out with my foot... I know the pedal can stick to the floor for other reasons, but if it's one of those reasons then it should stay stuck, no...
  11. AHU engine

I've just checked my Ibiza and Toledo as they both have AHU engines, and if it's what i think it is they're free on my cars aswell... Does one of the cables plug into (what i think is) the oil cooler? (the thing that the oil filter screws into?) And the cable that's free, does that end...
  12. Starter Motor Advice

I don't think i need the starter now... The noise i'm hearing is the fly wheel ring gear teeth, which is a real pain in the arse!
  13. Starter Motor Advice

Just updating this thread and looking for some more advice... I've just been going through the service history of my car and found a page that was pretty much glued to the back of another page... GRRRR! The starter was replaced at 130k, which was 2 years ago. The car's now done 160k...
  14. Starter Motor Advice

Engine code is AHU. jcs, when u say ur starter motor's been 'dragging' do u mean it just turns slowly? Or something else? Every now and again, quite often actually, i get a horrible noise when i try and start the car. It happens about 3 times in a row before properly engaging and turning...
  15. Starter Motor Advice

Hey people. My starter motor's on it's way out and i'm gonna change it either today or tomorrow... Anyway... I just wondered, has anyone changed their starter motor? If so, have u got and tips or anything for me? I've got a TDI but would be grateful if anyone with any other engine can...
  16. Wheel Bearings

Ok i deserved that so i'll forgive you ;). In my defense though i've never had to remove a road wheel in my life and never had any problem with wheel bearings before... I've done a complete front end rebuild on my old mk2, changed the alternator and aux belts, changed the glow plugs and...
  17. Overheating And Rocker Cover Gasket

Hey Dolly. I havn't mixed the two types of antifreeze, but it's possible that the previous owner was running the car on blue antifreeze, but then again i was running it on just water for a day or so and the water constantly needed topping up as it was draining through so if they did use blue...
  18. Wheel Bearings

That's a shame. Can't say i'm surprised though... I don't surpose anyone knows of a How To guide to removing wheel bearings do they? I'll search on the net too though. Thanks for the replies, they've helped a lot!
  19. Wheel Bearings

Ok, please forgive me for asking such a dumb question, but... My car's making a horrible whinning noise and i'm almost 100% sure it's the wheel bearings. I've got some alloy wheels still on my old mk2 that i want to put on my new car. (They're only standard alloys but much better than the...
  20. Overheating And Rocker Cover Gasket

Thanks for the advice. Quick question though... Where is the thermostat on a 1.9TDI? Is it near where the bottom hose connects to? ie do u have to remove the bottom hose to get to it, or is it a different hose you have to remove? (Sorry for being dumb, i've never had to touch a thermostat...
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.