Search results

1. sssstew

sssstew's 2nd Polo 9n GTI

Well after a really shite year after selling my original Polo GTI, I am so pleased to have got through it all now and have been able to hunt down another one (and not for a silly high price like some want on online down under), after some chat i bought a fellow VWWatercooled forum members car...
  2. sssstew

Was sooo tempted by this mk2 GTi...

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brisbane-city/cars/1996-2l-seat-ibiza-gti-fast-cheap-and-reliable-/1001075775 They are rare has hens teeth down here in Aus, and this one is very cheap, was sooo tempted to buy for a little bit of fun.... but then a 3 grand solicitor bill came in :( Maybe one...
  3. sssstew

sssstew's A4 B5 1.8 - nothing special

Hi All Just a quick readers ride thread after picking up a cheap old 1998 Audi A4 B5 Avant 1.8 (NA), this is a cheap run around whilst I sort all my stuff out after the wife had an affair and left me.... Theres loads of cheap jap cars over here but they just dont interest me so I had to go...
  4. sssstew

New Banner - Celebrating 10 Years :)

Love the new banner guys, top work, as usual classy and clean and easy to read :D
  5. sssstew

1.8T points of reference?

Hi All Chose this section as i think the Mk4 Ibiza is the closest relation to my 2007 Polo GTI. Guys, im a TDI man and know them like the back of my hand so down under they are rare and petrol is half the price so ive converted to petrol turbo power to get some sort of decent performance...
  6. sssstew

Stews 2007 VW Polo GTI

Hi All I picked up my new car yesterday, traded in my 2008 Suzuki Swift Sport for a 2007 VW Polo GTI, and am very very pleased with the decision. Cost a little to swap but well worth it, i felt right at home after 2.5 years of being out of a VAG car. This is my first time with a 1.8T, so know...
  7. sssstew

TDI FAQ - Dump Valves, Part Nos and much more info - Start Here

Please note this is a merge from the old TDI FAQ, some links might be missing the old pics for example and some info might need updating. This thread can continue to be updated by adding new posts to it. Note that a general search of the TDI section can yield new results on old topics so for...
  8. sssstew

Microfibre cloth - is it pants or is it me?

I bought a microfibre cloth to dry the car after washing as recommended by people on here as i posted up in the past about using a chamois and keeping it damp. Anyway, ive got a Meguires one, read the label and sounded ok, but its just not working for me, i cant seem to get the car dry with...
  9. sssstew

whos online link

the last option in the Quick Links drop down menu from the top is called Whos Online but its been diabled by the admin, would it be better to just remove the link from the menu entirely?
  10. sssstew

Well thats it - the tdi sports gone :(

I now officially no longer own my Ibiza TDI Sport 110 :( Very sad to wave goodbye to it last night, been an amazing car. Some boring stats for those type of people :- Over 60,000 miles it averaged 51.9mpg It lost only £1k per year in depreciation over the 6 years i owned it I never...
  11. sssstew

58.3mpg no word of a lie

Just brimmed the car, and the wife drove it down to Southampton (125 miles for us) then i did some driving around the new forest then did a fast run home (80 or so) to get back and see 58.3 overall, thats 300 miles in total so about half my usual tank. At one point after the run down to...
  12. sssstew

refurbing alloys? guide?

Hi All Ive got some 2nd hand alloys for our old Golf but they looks like they could do with a refurb as theres some bad corrosion on a couple of them. So does anyone know the steps to refurb them? Is it just a case of rubbing them back and repainting? Any guides? Cheers
  13. sssstew

how to get oil coating out of cooling system on 1.9d

Just got a 93 Golf 1.9d. Any clues how to get a previous owners light coating of oil out of the cooling system? is there some strong flushing stuff you can get? Aparently the oil cooler for the engine is leaking oil into the system so they have bypassed it, but im going to refit a new one...
  14. sssstew

coolant pipes to the oil pump?

Hi all If you look just below the oil filter you can see where two small coolant pipes go in and out, is this the oil pump?
  15. sssstew

Turn off Passenger air bag - any way / hack?

Is there anyway to turn off the passenger Air bag on the Mk3 Ibiza, as it doesnt have any convenient method like modern cars? :( Wondering about a VAG COM hack or something? Any ideas? of even if it would be legal or insurance implications.....
  16. sssstew

error editing profile

Hiya guys. was editing my sig over the last few days and this error comes up at the top when editing or previewing :- Warning: getimagesize(http://www.appletonmews.plus.com/stew\SCN\CSR.jpg): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found in /profile.php(1224) ...
  17. sssstew

Chuffin one touch windows - come back!

Since disconnecting my battery to change my melted fuse box :censored: ive lost the one touch windows which go up and down automatically when you pull the button. Now i read in the manual that you have to have the ignition on and wind them up fully wait more than 1 sec then wind down fully...
  18. sssstew

chamois leather - whats best to do with it?

is it best to keep it in a plastic bag so it stays moist? or let it dry out hanging over the bucket after each wash, then having to re-soak next time you use it? :think:
  19. sssstew

Strut brace for Mk3 TDI Sport?

Ive always wondered what strutbrace is the right one for the mk3 TDI Sport, im assuming a normal mk3 one will fit, ie the ones on the 1.8Ts or Mk2 GTIs? Cheers all
  20. sssstew

mpg improvement after some miles

Hi all Well my thoughts are being confirmed with the more miles i get on my car, its now approaching 50k. Every so often me and emma drive from Milton Keynes to Tavistock in Devon which is about 250 miles of which about 1/3rd is A roads to Swindon and the rest is motorway. I like to drive...
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members