Search results

1. Interesting cure for sticking VNT / overboost

Hi, long time since I've been on here ... replaced my Passat with a FXXX :whistle: Anyway, saw this on another forum and thought it was interesting. How to fix sticking VNT vanes using mouth suction (or a bike pump) http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=82616...
  2. Acuracy of on board computer

I checked mine over a couple of tankfuls a while back, it was 4.5% optimistic, which is still pretty close to the truth, anything over 52mpg on the computer is a real 50mpg :)
  3. 130 Pd?

The engine code on the VIN plate should have the letters AVF, this identifies the motor as the hi-torq 130bhp version. As said above the sticker should also say 96KW. It should have a 6-speed box and 7-spoke 16 inch "Road America" alloys, plus the lowered suspension.
  4. Tdi Tuning Box

I'd have to say I enjoyed having mine on, and it did no harm. The way they work is by plugging into the fuel temperature sensor. The box makes the ECU think the fuel is hot, therefore less dense, so the ECU throws in a little more fuel. Worst that can happen is the box may throw a check...
  5. Tdi Tuning Box

... the quick answer is, yes, they do give a bit more ooomph on the PDs (about 0.3 / 0.4 seconds quicker over 40-60mph in 4th). A bit more soot too. No, it didn't affect fuel consumption on my 2003 PD130. No check engine lights or other issues. I ran it for about 7K miles then took it...
  6. Split Intercooler

Muddy, how's the car running after the transplant? Same as before, or betterer?
  7. Drop in MPG after belt change

Have you only just noticed the MPG drop in the last couple of months, or did the MPG drop immediately after the belt was done? If you've just noticed it now, it's more likely to be the cold weather, this does knock up to 10% off your mpg. However, if the MPG drop happened straight after...
  8. Split Intercooler

B*gg*r :think:
  9. Split Intercooler

Hope it solves your hissing problem, Lee, that certainly looks like the split has been growing and growing for a while, obviously not too much of a loss of boost to throw a boost deviation fault code. I wonder how wide the parameters are?
  10. Intercooler hose advice please

Probably just needs the wire clip that holds the hose on replacing, they can and do get weak and let go. If you drove gently home the motor should be fine, it will just have overfuelled a while.
  11. Overheating TDI

Bloody hell! So the cooling system was working by thermo-siphon only?!?!?!? That is amazing it stayed cool. On a mapped engine too!
  12. wrong oil in my PD 150????

You absolutely 100% need 505.01. This spec oil has a special anti-scuffing additive for additional protection of the camshaft lobes which actuate the valves and injectors. These operate under such extreme loadings that the oil film can be broken down by the pressure, allowing metal /...
  13. Torque settings on PD130 gearbox casing? Anyone know?

I did mean the torque, rather than driving style :);):) What extra mods have you done to bring the car up to 260bhp from the 220-ish, Jason? That's BIG power ...
  14. Torque settings on PD130 gearbox casing? Anyone know?

That poor gearbox ... it has NO idea what it's about to be subjected to ;):D:D
  15. Cracked Engine Block 150TDi

If your car is unmodified and dealer serviced I'd say you've got a very strong case for a big contribution to repair / replacement costs by the manufacturer. The block should last the car's lifetime, it's not a consumable item.
  16. Just curious, how much would a replacement PD130 engine be?

Anyone any ideas on cost of a replacement, used or reconditioned PD130 lump? Was curious 'cos our MD has just misfuelled his 5-month old Jeep (with the Merc 320CDi engine). £9000 to replace injector pump, fuel rail etc and retain warranty!
  17. This kind of all-embracing enviro-crap is dangerous

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6990446.stm [:@][:@][:@] The upshot of the piece is that the car tested produced 30% more CO2 cruising at 80mph instead of 70mph. That's fine for that specific car, under those specific conditions ... but not for all cars. E.g. my PD with 6-speed box is...
  18. Going to the sign of the Blue Oval

Have made the decision on the new company car -- it's going to be a new Mondeo, so I'm moving away from VAG sootiness :whistle: Tell you what, it's a cracking car to drive. Great handling and the refinement, ride, body control & noise suppression is excellent. Engine doesn't have the...
  19. PD130 TDi - Very low MPG!

Even with the journey you describe you should be getting into the 40s. I've tried with my Passat to kill the MPG and (if the journey is more than 10 miles or so) I'll still get mid to late 40s. On a longer motorway journey I'll still get 50+ even cruising at over 90
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.