Search results

1. When did Leons start having DPF?

Thanks all for the replies :) I think they're going to avoid the diesel now, and just look at Cupras (or any other model that's relatively quick and looks nice!)
  2. When did Leons start having DPF?

Parents are after a Leon, but want to avoid a car with the DPF filter if possible... is this any car since 2008ish? Thanks :)
  3. flip key info thread

1) Buy a new VW flip key 2) Get the key cut so it's identical to your Seat one 3) Use VAG Com to program the new keys immobiliser Done. It'll cost you around £100 (maybe a bit more depending on how easy it is to find someone with VAG Com) and means you can keep your old key as a backup/spare...
  4. Whirring noise - help! :(

You're a star, thanks Seatmann! I did think it was the wheelbearing tbh but the mechanic assured me it worked in the opposite way to what you said (ie turn left, it's the passenger side that's wrong) Gone away for the weekend (not anywhere near as nice as it sounds btw!) and have left the car...
  5. Whirring noise - help! :(

Hi guys, Got a problem with my Leon TDi SE - it suddenly (very suddenly when I started it up this morning) started to make a whirring sound (kinda like a powerball!) as soon as you go over 15mph. My initial reaction was that it's a wheel bearing, since... If you turn the engine off, it...
  6. How much to have a clutch replaced?

Ahh, thanks guys - seems like the price isn't so bad afterall then :(
  7. How much to have a clutch replaced?

Nevermind, seems maybe it was about right - my mate initially guessed way lower, but he's more familiar with older cars, and thinks maybe £650 isn't too far off...
  8. How much to have a clutch replaced?

Hey guys, The clutch was screwed on my crappy 1.9 TDi SE thingy, making a funny noise and then started smoking a bit when I tried to drive it. Quickly stopped, breakdown cover, took it to a garage (friend's dad...) and have just been charged £649 for the replacement. Is that even close to...
  9. Broken glove compartment catch

Thank you so much guys, it's working a treat now!
  10. Broken glove compartment catch

Thanks Mark - I'll give that a try then. At the moment it's weird, like it won't pop up unless you use the handle a few times, not sure if that makes sense... I'll get the screwdriver out over the weekend and take a look :D Tyvm!
  11. Broken glove compartment catch

:( As per the title really, my glove compartment is screwed and won't close proprerly - the small catch is kinda lose and you have to close it and keep pushing the handle down in the hope it pops back up again. Is there any way I can fix this without swapping the entire door over or...
  12. Changed catalytic converter - car doesn't feel right

Thanks guys. I probably should do that, have a go at myself, but I fear I'd just make it a hell of a lot worse! I'm very ashamed to say if I had to even change my tyre I'd struggle, since I've never had to do it. Never really done anything on a car, cos I know I'd just break it ;P /takes a look...
  13. Changed catalytic converter - car doesn't feel right

Many thanks Willie, just looking around now, read quite a few different threads but nothing particularly set in stone, with many different faults (from sensors, to brake lights (what?!) to overboost, to the turbo control valve, to simply revving the hell out of it on a fairly lengthy journey)...
  14. Changed catalytic converter - car doesn't feel right

Could have a go at that thanks Lee, I have no idea how to do it myself but will ask around/some mechanic and go from there! Willie, thanks for the suggestions, do you know of any guides or anything I could look up for that? Sorry to sound dumb but I don't have a clue unfortunately, I've looked...
  15. Changed catalytic converter - car doesn't feel right

Not sure, is there an easy way to check something like that? Not sure of the best way to explain it, but if you can imagine the pipe coming from the cat being cut all the way around but hanging just from the top, that was what it was like - not a big hole and not really disintegrated or...
  16. Changed catalytic converter - car doesn't feel right

Thanks Willie, I think you're right, and looking around a decat is going to cost at least £150, plus maybe £50 fitting, so it's an extra £200 or so! I changed it because there was a big hole in the cat, like it was just hanging on from the top, think it had been like it for a while but it...
  17. Changed catalytic converter - car doesn't feel right

Me again (sorry!) - just spoke to the mechanic and he said it's absolutely fine, but he'd recommend I get one myself. It's a 2003 (52 plate) TDi SE - is there a standard decat pipe I can buy for that, or are they all a bit different? Looking through the actual brochure of cats was a...
  18. Changed catalytic converter - car doesn't feel right

Cheers volvic, that's what I was thinking really. It's going to be a pain but may be my only option right now! If I can get even a tiny bit back on the cat it won't be too bad. Just wondering also, is the cat causing the problem, or is the fact the whole in the exhaust isn't there any more...
  19. Changed catalytic converter - car doesn't feel right

Quick bump before I get it removed! (or worse - just buy a new car, eeek!)
  20. Changed catalytic converter - car doesn't feel right

Okay. This is doing my head in now. Can't even overtake cars doing 30 in a 60 going up a hill for fear that my turbo will cut out! How much would I be looking at spending to get it changed over so it bypasses the cat? Would it be louder? Less powerful? Loads more emissions? I mean there must be...