Search results

1. davidmills2002

EGR insufficient flow

I know I'd never heard of an EGR filter until I came across them at work. Make sense though to filter the EGR gases before chucking them back in the cylinder.
  2. davidmills2002

EGR insufficient flow

Also I don't know if it's the same for all VW's, but the filter is sealed in a metal tube and so you can't remove it to clean, just have to replace it.
  3. davidmills2002

EGR insufficient flow

I work as an engine test engineer and operate an engine test cell so isn't completely representative of the layout on a car. The VW I have in my cell is a rare American 2.0L CR Tdi and has the EGR filter mounted to the EGR cooler. If you trace the EGR valve to the cooler, you should come across...
  4. davidmills2002

EGR insufficient flow

We get this fault code all the time at work. Usually cured by changing the EGR filter. This gets blocked with soot and means that there isn't as much EGR flow as required.
  5. davidmills2002

Can a clutch "stop" slipping

My car developed a strange "kangarooing" effect when you engaged the clutch a few months after having an uprated clutch fitted in 2008. Hard to explain what it felt like, but was as if you started to pull away then dipped the clutch quickly and re-engaged it. This was around for a few months...
  6. davidmills2002

My Mk5 Ibiza Bocanegra (Miltek Exhaust Fitted)

Where are those latest pics taken??? I think I recognise the top one outside your house but the others?
  7. davidmills2002

My Mk5 Ibiza Bocanegra (Miltek Exhaust Fitted)

Car's looking nice and tidy!
  8. davidmills2002

RPM=speed

Remember lower RPM doesn't always mean better economy. But my FR in 6th is just over 2k at 70 and around 3.5k at 80
  9. davidmills2002

RPM=speed

The gear ratios are different for different models and also what gears do you want to know it for?
  10. davidmills2002

mk4 FR problems

Good to hear good service from a dealer! Like you I'm driving my sister's much slower car while I run her about while she can't drive. It's laughable when you put your foot down. Used to power and just nothing happens. Though makes everything of your car seem so good when you get back in it and...
  11. davidmills2002

mk4 FR problems

Let me know what they quote you. If it's high then could be the perfect incentive to get a front mount intercooler. Or even if you want, you could buy my SMIC off me. I recently changed to a FMIC and have it laying in the shed
  12. davidmills2002

mk4 FR problems

Good to here its only a pipe. My one sheared one of the lugs on the pipe so wouldn't snap in place. All fixed by a new pipe though.
  13. davidmills2002

mk4 FR problems

it depends what pipe it is. You might be able to get away with just taking the engine undertray thing off and having a look up through the engine. When my pipe blew it was a vertical one by the intercooler. I managed to sort it with the bumper on but you may be unlucky and it could be a lower one!
  14. davidmills2002

mk4 FR problems

From what you describe sounds like its a pipe that has blown off. Have a look at the ones around the intercooler... these are the most susceptible to pop.
  15. davidmills2002

Decat for custom remap?

Hi, I'm slowly piecing together the bits needed to take a PD130 to stage 2. After lots of toing and fraying I decided to stick with the standard turbo and not go hybrid. I've already got FMIC and clutch and next to look at is the exhaust. To go to stage 2 how much extra benefit will I see...
  16. davidmills2002

How to check if a remap makes a difference?

Trust me you will be able to tell! As other people have said best not go for the cheapest and for maybe a little bit more go with a reputable company such as P Torque, Custom Code, Revo etc. Have a search and choose what's best for you.
  17. davidmills2002

Ibiza FR TDI Intercooler Failure

There's not much cutting needed. I had to cut the bit as shown and also some more from behind the fog light grille. The cutting is nothing and you can't see any of the bodge job when reassembled.
  18. davidmills2002

Yeah 6 weeks does seem short for it to fail again but may just be down to luck of the draw and you may have got a slightly weaker part. Though are you noticing any other problems with your car other than the pipe coming off? Yeah two options available, forge kit or seat sport intercooler with...
  19. davidmills2002

As the car's remapped the turbo will be creating more pressure and the piping has to contain all that pressure. The lugs slowly weaken from fatigue and shear off causing the pipe to pop off. A good solution to the problem is replace the piping with silicon hoses and jubilee clips. Not sure of...
  20. davidmills2002

cupra bumpers

If you're gonna get an FR next year then best saving you're money in my opinion and spending it on that. I know its hard to resist the urge, but FR is always gonna be a better platform to mod.
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members