Search results

1. High mile PD owners - how are you getting on?

Just under 170,000 and has never let me down (yet) .Uses a bit of oil but always did .50 plus mpg . Thinking of changing it but keep putting it off .Its not costing me anything.
  2. Faulty Power Steering! :(

Thanks for the advice. I ended up taking it to the dealer who thought it might be the corroded wire , ran a computer check but couldnt find anything wrong. Only thing they could advise was that the power steering pump could be on the way out , quite a few problems with it in newer ibizas.
  3. Faulty Power Steering! :(

Sounds like its electrical.I must get the battery checked out . Thanks . Ten year old car with 150k miles, Ive been lucky nothing major has gone before now.Original exhaust, battery clutch etc.
  4. Power Steering Fluid leak

That sounds exactly like my problem, ps light comes on when cold then goes off when I restart the engine. No problems after that. Sounds like it could be the battery which is the original. Ill check the fluid level and the alternator cable also though I dont drive anywhere near 4k revs.
  5. Faulty Power Steering! :(

My power steering light comes on when I start the car first thing on a cold morning.When I switch off and on the engine again it goes out and I have no more trouble. I was wondering if it was related to the battery being a bit flat as it only ever happens when its cold . I had this problem...
  6. screenwash hose

Most common place seems to be the connector to the rear wiper pops off and you get a spare wheel full of water. Had that myself a couple of years ago, since then I dont use it if its freezing.
  7. screenwash hose

Yeah its pouring out on the passenger side, it was a really cold night on Christmas eve that did it. I had Halfords screen wash in there but obviously not a high enough concentration, wont make that mistake again . The front washer froze too but its working again now. Not sure if your...
  8. screenwash hose

Ive got the same problem, fluid is leaking onto the road from under where the wash bottle is and luckily not into the car (I hope!) 2 questions : a) Is the airbox easy to remove , and b) does the washer pipe run down the n/s or drivers side ?:shrug: I read all the other threads on this...
  9. water in spare wheel well

Yeah thanks, I guess theres nothing else for it but to remove the panel to check , not the first time Ive done it. I read on another thread that there are a couple of other places it can pop off like behind the rear n/s trim and at the fluid reservoir , which sounds a big job as you have to...
  10. water in spare wheel well

My rear washers stopped working today but no sign of washer fluid in the boot . Temperature was well above freezing when I used it and theres plenty of antifreeze in it .I can hear the motor working so Im thinking the pipe must have disconnected somewhere else or is blocked?
  11. cheapest way to get rid of stone chips

Dearest way to get rid of stone chips is to buy a new car :lol:
  12. Clonking Suspension

My nearside front suspension has started clonking every time I go over a bump . The bushes were replaced last year but I went over a pothole a few months ago and think it could have damaged something but in a recent service they found nothing wrong. Big question-is it safe to drive the car...
  13. What is this fallen out from under the car?

Yeah thanks for that ,I did once hit a sharp stone that went right through and cracked the sump but ice and snow are a tad more compactable .
  14. What is this fallen out from under the car?

Driving over frozen slush 6'' deep the other day I could hear it scraping the bottom and am worried it might have damaged the sump, but I hope you're right and it simply 'slided' over it. I never thought the sump was that close to the road.
  15. Just Smashed My Sump

Ive had to drive over frozen slush this last few days and could hear it scraping the bottom of the sump. Ever heard of this causing damage ? I was only doing 5mph. No way of avoiding it as it was in the middle of the road. I had a cracked sump once before ,that was with a rock . Annoying...
  16. Worn bushes??

Its the labour though, 1 1/2 hour job ? :rolleyes: Looks like Id better get them done, car is very noisy over rough roads !
  17. Worn bushes??

I was told by the garage that my front bushes are cracked , the ride seems harsher than when it was new . But its an expensive job to replace. My MOTs coming up so if it got through was wondering would any harm be done by not changing them ? I did read somewhere that uneven tyre wear can start...
  18. Mk4 owners overall experiences ?

That sums up my opinion of them as well .They're far better value than VW or Audi which might have better materials but no more reliable really .So would I buy another Ibiza ? Very possibly,but having owned two of them over the last 11 years I just feel like a change and set my sights higher...
  19. High fuel consumption on 1.4TDi

The cold weather affects mine .The engine takes a long time to warm up, and I do quite short joiurneys mostly. MPG is down about 8-10mpg at the moment compared with the summer when I get around 58.
  20. Mk4 owners overall experiences ?

Agreed.You can end up changing to another make altogether even though it mightnt be the cars fault at all :rolleyes:. I had a couple of things fixed under warranty like the heater blowing cold instead of hot and a faulty key which were found and fixed during a routine service and havent...
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members