Search results

1. jcp

cold weather horrible handling? dreading it already......

I'm not sure the OP came on here to be given patronising advice on simple driving technique, ten tonne vehicles have much higher weight to tyre area ratios than cars and driven well will get traction where lighter vehicles don't. The problem is pronounced-the Leon is not a heavy vehicle and has...
  2. jcp

cold weather horrible handling? dreading it already......

Search "winter tyres", last winter convinced me. Tyres for our market are specified to work without any drop off in grip down to 7c. Below that they lose out and winter tyres do not. I have been driving since 1970 a very large variety of cars and found my Tfsi on Goodyear Eagle F1s never failed...
  3. jcp

My boot wont open!

Just had this on mine ages ago it did it intermittently as yours did and would not do it for the dealers- recently did it and was found to be the (canbus controlled) solenoid which was replaced under warranty. I think there is an issue with water ingress to the area as it all looked a bit green...
  4. jcp

Leon FR TFSI- Using a LOT of oil.

My 07 FrTfsi has done 14.5k and had never used any significant oil until I got a ping and oil light (around a very long/quick roundabout) yesterday. Just under 2 litres required!!!!!!! Not having needed to check often before I am bothered. Just coming up to 1st MOT, annual service and I think...
  5. jcp

How old are you?

I'm 3 years older than when this thread started........
  6. jcp

radio reception suddenly cack?

The aerials do break down internally- well worth just buying a new screw on mast-I have had a similar fault on two cars with shortish fixed masts-not pricey, easy to do and may fix the problem.
  7. jcp

I need softer suspension

I have the Eibach/Koni set up and heartily recommend it. I did the Eibachs first and they alone are a major improvement, the Konis are a further step in the right direction but the effect is less. The springs do not make a huge difference to the stance- the car does not look "slammed"- a look I...
  8. jcp

Regular vrs super unleaded petrol

^^^^^^ Possible but not certain, if the car is new it may be the engine has loosened up a little or that you have adjusted your driving style to suit the car. For the last 10 days the schools have been on holiday around here and the average traffic has been lighter. I don't think even shell...
  9. jcp

Regular vrs super unleaded petrol

My 07 Tfsi manual states the minimum required- UK regular is fine but adds that best power is from higher octane gas, the logic is that you can comfortably run it on all normal fuel without problems but will only get peak power from super. I have not measured any consumption improvement but the...
  10. jcp

Wheel spacer query!

They sound just what I need- who sells them to suit the Mk2 Leon?
  11. jcp

what car would win this race?

Only to those who suffer trouser anxiety!!!:redface:
  12. jcp

If I did the kind of mileage that would make a diesel an economic necessity I would consider one- but on my annual mileage it would make no sense to have to listen to a rattling donk or fill up at the greasy pump. The increased range is a dubious advantage -my longest daily run last year was...
  13. jcp

Petrol obviously- no smelly penny-pinchermobile could possibly compete!! Diesels are fine for the "I just did 759 miles for £30" brigade.
  14. jcp

eibach dampers

For enthusiastic road driving Eibach and Koni provide a really worthwhile improvement.
  15. jcp

Getting annoyed with the FR's harsh ride!!

"can assure you that it can make a huge difference; I have Eibach Pro's with Koni FSD's and it transformed the car even after changing from 17" to 18" wheels. There are lots of previous threads on this topic, just do a search and you will find many happy FR/Sport owners with similar...
  16. jcp

What Tyres?

Most of us are driving on tyres which are not designed to work well at temperatures below 7c. I am beginning to think I should have a second set of wheels with all weather tyres on- and I live 20 miles north of London. If I was based in Scotland I certainly would. Instead I have just bought...
  17. jcp

What Tyres?

How long have the tyres been fitted- as my Eagle F1s were shocking for the first 100 miles and that was in summer. They are pretty alarming on frozen roads too- I would not expect them to perform properly until they have had a heat cycle through them that is from normal ambient up to warm to...
  18. jcp

Any online dealers?

C*****s St Albans FTW- an excellent family business- good deal on nearly news I had my Fr at 1800 miles 07 and 13 months old and great and helpful service since- well worth giving them a call as they seem to buy in ex Seat owned cars and sell them at attractive prices. I know they do not...
  19. jcp

replacement brake discs and pads,could my warrenty be affected?

Lack of use can cause problems, discs sit and rust and then the rust gets ground off by a short journey in traffic. They are then left to rust again. Regular normal use wears less than either low use or very hard use.
  20. jcp

My 2 week old 07 FR in garage with serious problems- advice?

Say bye bye to the car and the dealer- the fact that they have sold you a dud, it has failed before and that they want to sell it as a "wrong colour" return... does the salesman have a peg leg an eye patch and a parrot? Does the service manager have a stripey jumper and a bag marked "swag" over...