Search results

1. gaffer1986

Mk4 2020 Leon is a downgrade

I'm still enjoying my 2014 Leon despite having it since new and putting 166,000 miles on it (mostly learner driver mileage). I think it's a great car. So I was excited to see the new Leon. Please don't be offended as I know people can be defensive about their cars as if it was a personal insult...
  2. gaffer1986

Ignition Barrel Trouble

I know of a fellow driving instructor who has had two mk5 Ibiza's with a problematic ignition barrel. On several occasions the barrel would turn freely and has left her stranded. She has had two because the dealer replaced her car due to the fault but she got the same problem with the...
  3. gaffer1986

Clogged up Intake Valve Cleaning - 1.4 TSI EA211 CHPA

Just thought I'd share this with you, I'm making a three part video for cleaning the intake valves using 3 different methods to see if any or all of them work. I've made and posted the first 2 videos with plans to make the third video using the walnut blast method soon. The videos include...
  4. gaffer1986

1.4 TSI CHPA EGR Valve

Hi, Does anyone know if the 103KW 1.4 TSI CHPA engine has an EGR valve? I've looked for it everywhere in a workshop manual that I have and it doesn't appear to have one, I thought all engines had egr these days?
  5. gaffer1986

CHPA 1.4 TSI 103KW spark plug gap?

Does anyone know the correct spark plug gap for this engine?
  6. gaffer1986

Air Bag light same on for a couple of seconds

So I plugged in and found this, anyone know what it could mean? Screenshot_20170704-090802 by Richard Fanders, on Flickr Screenshot_20170704-090831 by Richard Fanders, on Flickr Screenshot_20170704-090841 by Richard Fanders, on Flickr
  7. gaffer1986

DRL gone yellow and dim

Any ideas what could have caused 3 out of the 4 LED strips to go yellow and dim? 20170623_191754 by Richard Fanders, on Flickr 20170623_191806 by Richard Fanders, on Flickr 20170623_191801 by Richard Fanders, on Flickr
  8. gaffer1986

Left Door Temperature Flap Positioning Motor

Hi, My left door temperature flap positioning motor/actuator is defective. Is there a good VAG place to buy such specific things or would it be dealer only? 20170610_151626 by Richard Fanders, on Flickr Thanks. Richard
  9. gaffer1986

Gearbox Oil 2014 1.4 TSI 140 manual

Does anyone know what brand and weight of gearbox oil goes in the 140 TSI with 6 speed manual gearbox. 2014 Leon SC, I've done 92,000 miles now and since the second clutch change the gears have been slightly notchy when cold outside. I'm thinking the garage may have filled the gearbox up with...
  10. gaffer1986

Leon Problems

The car is now getting near to 70,000 miles after 30 months. So far I've had the following done, has anyone else had these problems: New steering rack after knocking noise 30K miles New cylinder head after oil usage and misfire which it had since new - turned out to be a leaky head replaced at...
  11. gaffer1986

Anti roll bar bushes

Just saw my anti roll bar bushes, they look worn to me or are they supposed to look like this? 20160718_145628 by Richard Fanders, on Flickr 20160718_145633 by Richard Fanders, on Flickr
  12. gaffer1986

Who supplies brake pads/discs to VAG?

Hi, I need to replace the brake pads and discs. I would rather stick to genuine parts, does anyone know who makes the genuine parts? ATE? Lucas? Don't want to buy from the stealers if I can get them cheaper elsewhere. Thanks in advance :)
  13. gaffer1986

Car Insurance - Unlimited Trackdays

Not sure where to post this so I thought I'd put it on the Leon and Ibiza pages to try and spread the word. I've just been quote £470 with a £400 excess for insurance on a VX220 with unlimited UK and European track days. Thought this may save someone a few quid as track day cover is normally...
  14. gaffer1986

Car Insurance - Unlimited Trackdays

Not sure where to post this so I thought I'd put it on the Leon and Ibiza pages to try and spread the word. I've just been quote £470 with a £400 excess for insurance on a VX220 with unlimited UK and European track days. Thought this may save someone a few quid as track day cover is normally...
  15. gaffer1986

Watchdog - Media

I am seriously thinking of going to watchdog or another media source regarding SEAT. When my brake pads wore out they got down to the metal without any metal squealer to warn me that they were low and when the clutches wore out on both the Ibiza and Leon it damaged the flywheel leaving me to fit...
  16. gaffer1986

Clutch Bite Point

Lately my clutch bite point has been changing, sometimes it's really low and then returns to normal. When I lift the clutch it doesn't always come up as quickly as I want it to. Having done a search it sounds life a slave cylinder problem, but it's booked in to Ipswich SEAT next Friday 11/09/15...
  17. gaffer1986

Brake pads worn out quickly?

Had the front brake pads replaced at 35K, my last SEAT (ibiza TDI) did 70K with original brakes in good condition and plently of life left. Both cars have been driven in the same manner. Are others finding the new Leon eats front brakes? Or have I got the highest mileage new Leon on here?
  18. gaffer1986

Dealers or independent garage for servicing?

My car's service light has come on for only the second time on my 2014 Leon FR 1.4 TSI with nearly 37,000 miles on the clock. Been quoted by the main dealer £279 inc VAT, which includes oil, air filter and spark plugs. Sounds mega expensive to me, I've had my car serviced with them for...
  19. gaffer1986

Steering Rack Issue

After experiencing a quiet knocking sound from the front of the car during slow manoeuvres, the steering sticking slightly when driving at 30mph plus in a straight line and occasionally the steering getting heavy. SEAT in Ipswich are ordering a new steering rack under warranty after 24,000...
  20. gaffer1986

Rear Wiper Blade

My rear wiper blade appears to have lost it's shape and makes more of a mess than a wash wipe. Had the car 2 months now and SEAT want £16 for a new one. Am I the only one with a dodgy wiper? Don't want to have to buy one every couple of months.
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members