Search results

1. Clutch advice anyone?

Hi Andy, This would be for a mk5 Golf 1.9tdi. I posted in this forum because i know the Leon is pretty much a golf underneath. Still a sturdy flywheel? have had my insurance quote for remap and uprated clutch - so keen to get moving on this - just need to make sure i get the parts right...
  2. Clutch advice anyone?

Thanks Andy - sorry for all the questions. i just want to make the right decision. Just to confirm - that link says BKC/BLS engine code and im BXE - still ok? Would you suggest new dmf too? thanks again for all your advice
  3. Clutch advice anyone?

So whats the solution then? if i want a remap to take my pd105 135-140BHP - what would a safe torque amount be? If i end up fitting a clutch from you guys, how do i break it in if i've already had the map? Surely if i buy an uprated clutch and a new dmf, i should be good as long as its under...
  4. Clutch advice anyone?

Thanks for the info. Any ideas on the rating of the OEM clutch? I've seen a few figures banded about around 250lb/ft?
  5. cant get it started!

Thanks RUM4MO. Should they need to strip the engine to find out? Surely they just take the cover off and see if the tensioner is bust? They are quoting 160 to strip the engine and have a look for damage. if no damage then it should be a straight forward new belt + tensioner kit? If it has...
  6. Clutch advice anyone?

Hi Andy, Thanks a lot for the info. What is the stage 1 rated to? in terms of lb/ft torque? And how come its so much cheaper than say, a sachs or helix? (dont take that the wrong way!) thanks again.
  7. cant get it started!

So phoned the garage - they "think" its the timing chain. They can't confirm unless they strip it - they have quoted 4 hours. So do i pay for the strip and it may not be screwed just need a new belt - or - if its bust - i've paid 160 and potential 600 for fixing the damage. What do i do!!!?
  8. Clutch advice anyone?

Hi Andy. Engine code is BXE according to the sticker in the handbook. Is it good news!?
  9. Clutch advice anyone?

Is the clutch the same in the Leon as the Golf? I'm a 5 speed gearbox? Thanks very much for the reply!
  10. Clutch advice anyone?

Hi Guys, Hope you can help. I'm a member as i have an ibiza but recently bought a golf 1.9tdi too. I know the golfs and Leons match up pretty well and have been having trouble finding the info i need searching the golf forums - they simply aren't as good as scn. Just wondered if anyone...
  11. cant get it started!

No i got the golf from an indie dealer. I needed a reliable motor. I love it so much its ridiculous! Should they have sussed it out by now? I've always had my work done there and not had a problem? :-S
  12. cant get it started!

So its still at the garage - i might ring them up on Monday and suggest the fuse 41? They have replaced the plugs but that didn't work. Think they were checking the electrics last i heard. In the meantime i went out and bought a mk5 golf 1.9tdi!! Bargain, great car - but the rear drivers side...
  13. cant get it started!

I live in lichfield near Birmingham - the local garage is due to pick the car up on Friday to tow it round the corner to their place. I really hope its not the timing chain - that will have messed up the engine - its just not worth repairing if that's the case. Appreciate all the comments guys
  14. cant get it started!

Where is the fuel pump fuse? Can't see it in the Haynes? Turn the key and I don't hear the whirring noise no :-S Spark plugs are well old I imagine. Haven't been changed for a good 3 years. It was serviced in September but only at ATS and spark plug renewal wasn't on the list.
  15. cant get it started!

Tried again tonight with the spare key - nothing - just turns over. However - normally when you open the door after a while - it makes that funny whirring noise for a few seconds - fuel pump priming or something? But it isn't making that noise? Could be no fuel getting to the engine? Anyhow -...
  16. cant get it started!

I'm hoping VAGCOM will tell me when i plug it in later. Will also try my spare key - what's the deal with the immobilizer? Is it built into the central locking key?
  17. cant get it started!

It's 11 years old in 76k. That sounds expensive and probably not worth it. Have been thinking about changing it for a while now. Looks like I might be going the Leon 2.0 16v tdi route! And there was me hoping it was the fuel filter! Thanks for all your replies guys.
  18. cant get it started!

Is it an expensive job to get done? And would it show up on vagcom? It never ends with this car!!
  19. cant get it started!

It's a 1.2 No lights or anything. I have vag com so I am going to hook it up tomorrow but that will only detect faults stored in the ecu? Immobiliser? There isn't one fitted to my car? Thanks guys!
  20. cant get it started!

Hi, Out of the blue, i went to start the car the other day and it started, then cut out straight away. Now it only turns over. So obviously unusable at the moment which isn't going down well with work!. Any one got any ideas where to start before i pay for it to be recovered to the...