Search results

1. Alexis27

Head unit dimmer wire

I installed a Kenwood CarPlay head unit and it's permanently in dark mode, which is more of a pain with Apple and Google Maps. Kenwood have replied and said "It could be that in your installation, the dimmer control wire is permanently 12 volts (as if headlights are on)." I think the dimmer...
  2. Alexis27

Cambelt pedal vibration

Had the cambelt changed and runs fine but the gas and brake pedals now have a buzzy vibration (not the clutch though). Nothing major but it's annoying and you can still feel your feet tingle after a drive. Mechanic is coming back to take a look but just wondering if anyone had any ideas what the...
  3. Alexis27

Turbo whine

I'm getting a whine at low speeds, which I thought was the gearbox so I did the shim mod it made no difference. Now I'm getting a really loud whine from the turbo when I boot it as well. Here's the noise: Does it sound like it's on it's way out? Can't find any split hoses
  4. Alexis27

MAF

Was putting my foot down on the motorway and had sudden loss of power and the yellow triangle light came on the dash. Two fault codes: 16487 Mass Air Flow (MAF) (G70): Signal too High 17705 Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve Restarted it and it was fine. I'm pretty sure it's the...
  5. Alexis27

Exterior door handle won't go back

Painted my door handles and I can't get the rear passenger side one to go back in. The white plastic bit the handle clips into moved backwards and clicked somehow. It seems to be stuck behind a little brass lever, but I can't get it to move. Unlocking/locking does nothing. Screwing/unscrewing...
  6. Alexis27

Clunking after new clutch

Had a new clutch and DMF fitted after the old one failed and it drives fine, except I'm getting a weird noise when I release the clutch pedal and the gear engages. It also makes the noise when I just start up the car. It's a clunk-clunk-clunk or rat-tat-tat. You can hear it on this sound clip at...
  7. Alexis27

LCR front suspension parts

Garage have said there are a couple of bits that will need replacing before the next MOT: - left and right wishbones inc. bushes - fr d bushes Quoted £500 inc labour and VAT Have since found a decent mobile mechanic who can do it. Questions: - presumably worth getting wishbones with ball...
  8. Alexis27

Seat belt thingy

I've had to take off the plastic side of the boot to fix the window washer pipe, which had popped off. Now I can't get the rear offside seatbelt to retract because there is this plastic clip thingy, and I can't figure out where the hell it goes. I've twisted the belt as well, so I've lost which...
  9. Alexis27

Facelift LC honeycomb grille

Anyone know how to remove the honeycomb grille from the facelift bumper? I need to transfer it over to my new one. It seems to be plastic welded in various places? Is there a method to remove them e.g. soldering iron?
  10. Alexis27

Facelift LC front bumper

A van cut up the wife this morning, so she hit the back of it and it sped off. The bumper is pretty much trashed with a couple of big holes gouged out of it. I'll keep an eye on ebay for a black replacement but they always seem to be in really bad condition (who's going to pay £100 for a...
  11. Alexis27

Power loss

Suddenly got an issue where the power completely vanishes all of a sudden when driving along and the throttle pedal has zero effect. Braking fixes it and the power returns for a short while. No fault codes, it idles fine and it drives perfectly for a couple of minutes before the power vanishes...
  12. Alexis27

Slow fan issue

I've now got the slow fan fault problem where the fans only work at high speed when you flick the air con on. In traffic yesterday the temperature went from 90 to 100 and then back again. I'm working on a fix, but in the meantime can I just check it won't actually overheat because the emergency...
  13. Alexis27

Trolley jack

I jacked up the front of the car with a trolley jack yesterday and thought I'd picked the right point - the big bolt highlighted in red in the pic below. But as soon as I removed the wheel the brake assembly dropped and I had to jack it up scarily high to get the wheel back on?
  14. Alexis27

Left rear clunk and squeak

I've developed a squeak from the rear left, especially when landing after a speed bump. In addition I've got a clunk from the same place which is most apparent when I'm doing a sharp right eg. going around a mini roundabout. You can hear the squeak if you bounce the back left when...
  15. Alexis27

Refitting jacking cover guide

After once again spending an age trying to refit one of my jacking points, I've created a visual diagram, not least as a reminder to myself the next time it pops off. I understand a lot of people install a self tapping screw to the bottom to prevent this.
  16. Alexis27

Milltek Exhaust

My LC failed its MOT today due to a hole in the exhaust and corrosion to the backbox. They don't do a pattern parts setup unless you want a boggo back box, so the other option was a Seat straight replacement for £480 + £100 labour. So thankfully Awesome GTI are doing free fitting until the...
  17. Alexis27

LC + Autofinesse

Time for the summer detail - used Autofinesse Lather, Tripple and Temptation wax. Mint Rims on the wheels and Mercury on the exhaust.
  18. Alexis27

Max power revs

The AUQ engine gives 179ps @ 5,500rpm and the BAM 224ps @ 5,900rpm The rev limiter is at 6900 on my AUQ, so my question is why isn't there max power available at maximum revs? Do I get maximum acceleration changing up at 5.5 or 6.9k?
  19. Alexis27

Turbo stutter

I've got a stock 1.8T Cupra and am having a problem with the turbo under medium or hard acceleration. The boost is literally on-off-on-off-on-off in a regular and consistent pattern. It actually makes you feel sick because it's so lurchy. Accelerating gently lessens the effect but it happens in...
  20. Alexis27

Rear seat become detached

The larger rear bench has been detached from its fitting since I bought the car and I'm having trouble getting it screwed back on. I've tried using needle nose pliers to turn the bolt hoping it would screw back into the seat, but no luck. Anybody come across this and have any...
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members