Search results

1. iain1970

Scrap it or keep it???

Our 2005 FR TDI is showing its age. We've had it from new and having had an easy life to summer 2015 under the control of my wife, I've been commuting 100 miles a day after we moved house, it has 151000 miles on it. It was hit on the OSR corner last year by an unisured driver and has a dent...
  2. iain1970

FR 130TDI fuel gauge fault

I've searched and can't find a definitive solution to a problem I've got with the fuel gauge on our FR 130 TDI. It's a four clock dash, not the traditionally problematic six clock of the earlier Mk4s. Essentially, the light will come on with 80 miles showing as the range, and that drops to...
  3. iain1970

Altea Mk2...?

VW have released pictures of their Golf Sportvan concept, which is a thinly veiled Golf+ replacement. Could this mean that an genuine MK2 Altea is on the cards, rather than the substitute Leon ST? After all, the two MK1 versions are non-identical twins.
  4. iain1970

Replace Battery

So I've got a nice new battery in the garage to go on the Altea. How do I get the old one out??? Done a search, but all that comes up are key fob tips. I can't see a retaining clamp anywhere. Same on our MK4 Ibiza. Any tips??? It was a lot easier on my Metro Turbo!
  5. iain1970

Golf Plus / Passat rear lights

I was following a Golf Plus the other day and thought "those rear lights are way better than the rubbish on the back of this" and it got me thinking. Just searched YouTube and using my bestest German, found this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=878D-NImIpo I want. Any clues as to how...
  6. iain1970

288mm > 312mm brake upgrade confirmation.

I'm now ready for new brakes all round on my 2006 2.0 TDI Sport and have been weighing up a swap to 312mm brakes. There are a good few threads saying it's a simple case of replacing the caliper carriers and dust shields from the 312mm equipped cars and bolting on the existing calipers...
  7. iain1970

Sticking vanes - any total solution?

I'm one of many experiencing the over boost problem on a 2.0TDI (BKD) at the moment. Has anyone devised a solution for this, eg a non-VNT turbo or something? I honestly can't see the point of fitting a new turbo at a cost of £££ s, only to know that it'll happen again at some point.
  8. iain1970

BKD puzzle - new turbo needed?

A first post in this section (I think) and the result may or may not be a wallet emptying exercise. I've had my 2006 Altea 2.0 TDI Sport with the BKD engine for 18 months. Early this year, it decided it wasn't starting (http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=310206) but no fault...
  9. iain1970

Brake light ping-pong

After six years of trouble free motoring in the Ibiza, a brake light bulb went in May. Then the other. Then the first one again. Now the other again. WTF? I wouldn't mind, but the bulbs aren't some cheap shat. Can I run LED stop/tail without hassle on the MK4 and do they look...
  10. iain1970

Remind me again...

Before I go and spend a ton of cash on a 312mm upgrade on my Sport TDI, the calipers will still fit under my stock 16" alloys (as below), won't they? Just need someones absolute reassurance ;)
  11. iain1970

12v socket pre-wiring?

I've a need to put a 12v socket in the boot of my 2005 Altea TDI Sport. Searching has revealed it's easy enough to run a wire from the fusebox to the back, but I've noticed someone has mentioned that they had one in the boot of their XL. Is it likely there is any hidden supply pre existing...
  12. iain1970

Non starting 2.0 TDI 140 - I think it's broke :-(

Just tried to start my Altea and it's dead. It'll turn over (very lumpy), the oil light has lit up and beeped and the emission light is on constantly. We used it twice yesterday without problem and no visual indication of a fault. Any ideas my learned friends?
  13. iain1970

Window and door mirror switch illumination - not.

As the clocks go back, little faults are found ;) None of the four window switches in the drivers door illuminate, nor does the door mirror control. Not life threatening, but a bit annoying. What do I need to do to get the bulbs replaced without destroying things? I've read about door...
  14. iain1970

Cruise stopped working while cruising!

Well, the first gremlin on my Altea 2.0TDI has appeared. I was doing a nice 80mph on the M62 this morning using cruise control and it just started to decelerate as though it had been deactivated. Can I get the thing working again? Can I bloodyheckers like. Just got home, it's nearly dark...
  15. iain1970

Ghetto iPad headrest mount

I spent an hour or so in the garage yesterday doing a little 'make' for the Altea. Offcuts of wood and four cheap cupboard door knobs from B&Q Voila! Ghetto iPad headrest mount (all copyrights and intellectual property of SeatCupra.net member iain1970). Just needs some wood filler...
  16. iain1970

Joke letter from dealer?

We received a letter from our local SEAT dealer yesterday with an attached glossy flyer from SEAT reminding me that our Ibiza FR TDI is approaching four years old and will need a cambelt then or at 60k miles (whichever is sooner). We bought the car from them new in April 2005 and it has only...
  17. iain1970

Radio surround colour?

I'm going to replace the stock non-MP3 headunit in my Altea with a double din DVD type. However, I'm a bit wary of the surrounds that are available. My dash is a kind of bluey-grey, but I wouldn't describe it as anthracite as per some of the items for sale. What colour should I be ordering?
  18. iain1970

Altea buying

I'm poised to buy an Altea TDI, but a little dithery on spec vs age. In the Platinum Grey corner is a 06/56 one owner 1.9 TDI Reference Sport with 35k for £8000 In the Boring Red corner is a 06/55 two owner 2.0 TDI Sport with 40k for £7500 I'd remap the car (our Ibiza FR TDI is done)...
  19. iain1970

Door Mirror Craziness

Just been out in the Ibiza this morning and tried to adjust the mirrors after my wife had used it yesterday. The left one adjusted fine, then twiddled the knob over to R to do the drivers side. Both mirrors move together. Wifey said it did it yesterday (but failed to say anything). Any...
  20. iain1970

Fabia vRS Anti Squeak kit

Has anyone had any experience of this kit for the rear brakes (part no 6X0 698 998)? Our FR brakes are squeaky even a short while after a clean at the garage. I'm sick of paying for it to be done and wondered if this was a viable option. I've tried a search on Briskoda, but I'm not a member.