Search results

1. Leon Instrument Cluster and Immobiliser

I haven't started a thread yet I wanted to learn a bit more first, waiting for it to stop raining here in Wales but that may never happen so I'll just get wet. Yes it is different in detail but it wouldn't surprise me if your fault and mine are both caused by the same module in a stupid location...
  2. Leon Instrument Cluster and Immobiliser

I have a similar fault that occured last year, it began with the dashboard illumination flickering then coming on permanently even with the key out and the car locked. A few weeks later the ABS light stayed on but no fault was logged and both ABS and traction control still work well. I got it...
  3. Knocking Driveshaft/gearbox?

Sounds like an inner driveshaft joint, these are usually a tripod joint (which isn't technically a U-Joint or a CV joint) and tend to be quite sloppy compared to the outer joint. It's probably just out of grease, or the grease may have turned to liquid which happens after several years. It may...
  4. Cleaning seats

A Vax will do it, you can get the pro chemicals for doing upholstery from places like Ashby's and Prochem, of just pay a carpet cleaner a few pounds to do it properly. It's probably worth it as you only need it doing once every several years, unless of course you use the car as a van.
  5. Caliper Refurb

A needle scaler does this job very nicely, you could also remove the rubbers and soak it in white spirit. Acetone would take it off in seconds, but stay clear of the fumes it's horrible stuff.
  6. Jumpy idle on 1.9 tdi

I'm thinking this has nothing to do with glow plugs, you can start a car with 4 dead glow plugs and once it's going will be fine.
  7. Spongy Brake Pedal

I seem to remember last time I plugged my car in there'a a brake bleeding routine via the ABS pump. Most of the garage level diagnostic systems should be able to access this and it's a lot easier than pumping the pedal. Spongy brakes can also be due to a caliper not sliding properly, causing...
  8. Lcr o/s/f squealing whilst turning

I guess you'll never know why. But then if it's fixed it's all good :D
  9. Fault code??

What's the maf reading at idle? If your scan tool shows that I don't know. You might just need to spray the maf element with carb cleaner, they do get dirty.
  10. is it bad news for diesel cars?

Neodymium makes very powerful static magnets and so is a large component in a permanent magnet alternator used in wind turbines. Most other alternators use an exciter coil. The way I see it the governments aim is to drive older vehicles off the road either by taxation, tightening the vehicle...
  11. Lcr o/s/f squealing whilst turning

I would say that could be a dry CV joint, perhaps with grit in it. Have you checked the condition on the boot? Edit: could also be the inner boot, which isn't an mot failure so may have been faulty for a while
  12. Replacing car battery

I'm not sure if VAG cars are more forgiving in this respect but I usually open up the car then go and make a cup of tea before removing the battery. Lots of modern vehicles start up the satnav and entertainment systems as soon as you unlock and need a few minutes to shut them down again. If you...
  13. Car eats tyres

You pay that much for part worn?? Go to the scrapyard for them, I get the unused spare tyres out of the boots of cars and pay about £10 each.
  14. Mk1 Seat Leon - Ash Tray will not close

Thank you Marv, now I know how the thing works. I think I might be removing the ashtray from mine altogether as I only open it to plug in things so I'd be better off if it wasn't there.
  15. What do you all do for a job

Electronic and electrical engineering, developing control systems for the water pumping industry
  16. Lcr o/s/f squealing whilst turning

That's an outer CV joint going, it'll probably last for years before it goes but if it gets worse or is grinding rather than clicking you need to change the joint. Check the CV boot for splits, clean the joint regrease and replace the boot asap if it is split.
  17. OBD cable confusion???help

For multi-brand disgnostics from a laptop, you need one of the diagnostic systems that uses a VCSI type interface module (sometimes referred to as a brick), Autocom CDP or Delphi DS150 would both be good choices. I have a Delphi which seems able to scan and reset codes on every module on every...
  18. Hello from Wales!

There seems to be a handful of Welsh members here at least. West Wales here (Pembs), Leon Mk1 tdi.
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise