Search results

1. L16YDW

Cooling fan doesnt turn off

I've seen and fixed this fault many times over the years on all variants of the mk4 golf platform (TT, beetle etc). Check the cables that run off the top of the battery and down behind it. You'll need to remove the battery to do this. There is usually a broken wire near the bottom of the battery...
  2. L16YDW

Rear Axle Bushes

Yep
  3. L16YDW

Rear Axle Bushes

Easy if you fit poly bushes, need tool if fitting stock. Unbolt axle at the pivot bolts and shocks, disconnect brake pipes. Drop axle off. Cut old bushes through open voids then cut the sleeve out with a hacksaw. Lube up the poly bush and hit it home with a rubber mallet or Metal hammer and a...
  4. L16YDW

Cupra R 'Big Mouth Grill' mod questions

Not really any worse than standard, the standard grill mesh is quite wide anyway, mines been done for the last 4yrs 30k without issue. I've got a slimmer plate that screws onto a couple of little drop down tabs from the top.
  5. L16YDW

Fitting wishbone polybush

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Audi-A3-S3-MK1-Front-Wishbone-Rear-Poly-PSB-Bush-Forged-Arm-1996-to-2003-/171917291053
  6. L16YDW

Fitting wishbone polybush

If you search for poly bushes on ebay you can get a split type bush that can be fitted with just a mallet when greased up with some copper slip. The traditional style polybushes can be fit 'on the floor' but are slightly more awkward.
  7. L16YDW

Best value HPi check?

Traders HPI all cars they sell and are legally obliged to state any know traces on its history.
  8. L16YDW

Clutch Replacement

I'm sure there are some workshop manuals about, someone will be along I'm sure! Its a simple job, subframe off gearbox out, decent access on these. 3 hours on the floor.
  9. L16YDW

Milltek Exhaust

Agree with spud, I've got 3" downpipe, 200 cell sports cat, 2.75" cat back with only a small silencer at the rear and it's still not loud. Does burble nicely but not loud at all!
  10. L16YDW

Seat Leon Mk1 Cupra R - Tuning help - what to buy next?

ESP is Electronic Stability Control. If you have is you will have an ESP button to turn it off. Don't know about LHD fitment, email Bill I'm sure he will have your answers!
  11. L16YDW

Seat Leon Mk1 Cupra R - Tuning help - what to buy next?

http://badger5.biz/epages/3927bc2c-6485-4739-96a5-d6cca869fcd6.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/3927bc2c-6485-4739-96a5-d6cca869fcd6/Categories/Shop/Induction Have a look here, the best 'tips' on the market for the Ko4 turbo
  12. L16YDW

Bushes

Rear axle bushes are easy enough. I'd advise fitting poly bushes just for ease really as you won't need a puller to fit them. Done quite a few on the floor (mobile mechanic) I drop the back beam off. Disconnect the brake pipes at the fixed mounting (clamp the brake lines), disconnect the...
  13. L16YDW

What's your ride height

Mines a Cupra with R bumper/splitter. I'm running KW struts and springs -40mm although I think that's -40mm off a non cupra leon? Mine doesn't catch normally. The odd driveway and I have to be careful parking towards a curb as the splitter would hit.:blink:
  14. L16YDW

Leon 2003 1.6 Service and Cambelt

That's regular Joe's prices, garage will pay less. Those prices are for all quality parts and includes the expensive Platinum spark plugs. Take £25 off if yours has standard plugs.
  15. L16YDW

what have you done to your car today ?

Knocked up a quick heat shield today with leftover sheet steel I had left over.
  16. L16YDW

How many Miles

99k between an oil change! I had taxi driver customer who's mk2 1.8 petrol mondeo was knocking on 250k before we had to change the front brake discs for the 1st time, he was disappointed if he got less than 100k out of a tyre! 400k now no repairs except services!
  17. L16YDW

Leon 2003 1.6 Service and Cambelt

I've just prices up all the needed parts for the service and cambelt etc on eurocarparts site and totals up at £188. Would be cheaper if you ask at the counter! That's for premium brands, Shell oil etc. Pity your not Norfolk way I could have helped you out as a mechanic. The labour costs...
  18. L16YDW

Remap

Did they tell you the plugs and coils were faulty? I'd be surprised that anyone would map a car with known issues! I take they'll tweak the map for free when those faults have been addressed?
  19. L16YDW

tools needed for rear caliper

The wind back tool pushed piston back into the caliper when replacing the pads, or both pads and discs. Check out his video, exactly the same as the leon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olAYCU1s6Pg I don't remove the carrier, the part they call the 'bracket' as the discs come off...
  20. L16YDW

Autoglass - windscreen to low?

Some fitters remove the trims, I presume some require it. They use some black paint/primer before fitting the new screen maybe you can see that? Raise any concerns you have and if they say it's to spec then ask if they're ok with it being inspected by a separate company. Just drop into a VAG...
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members