Search results

1. dmjw01

glow plug light flashing...brake lights working! help please

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but I have just put LED stop/tail bulbs in, and I have the flashing glow-plug light. Is there any way around this, or do I simply have to go back to conventional bulbs? The lights also don't really work properly, and it seems to depend on whether the...
  2. dmjw01

PD130 Boost leak from bottom of intercooler

Thanks for all the info and pictures! The guy who worked on it last week did mention that the pipe has metal lugs on it, and that these had rounded-off a bit. So I think it'll be a new hose and clips, which is slightly beyond what I can be bothered to try and do myself! However, I've emailed...
  3. dmjw01

Sorry - should have said! It's a '54 plate Ibiza FR.
  4. dmjw01

Hi folks... Can anyone tell me how to gain access to the bottom of my intercooler? Last week I had classic symptoms of a boost leak: the car was hissing at the front and smoking at the back. It was due for a service, so I asked the chap to sort it out at the same time. He traced the leak to...
  5. dmjw01

Engine Shake!!! HELP!

It sounds like your Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) has gone.
  6. dmjw01

double reflector bulbs?

the law doesn't make it clear whether aftermarket HID upgrades are road-legal, but the DfT has published their interpretation of the law. They make it very clear that they do not consider them legal. You can read it here. Edited to fix the URL.
  7. dmjw01

Second gear is very "crunchy" when cold - why?

Well, well! This thread has risen from the dead! :) When I saw this thread just now, I thought to myself: "Ooh, my gearbox used to do that", then discovered that it's my thread! :clap: Now that mine's got 60,000 miles on the clock, it's much smoother. And I never did change the oil or do...
  8. dmjw01

Is ambient air temperature used by the ECU for fuel delivery?

Even a very modest wind can easily make that much difference. You probably had a slight head-wind on the way there, and a slight tail-wind on the way back. Even just 5 to 10 knots will have a significant effect on fuel economy. The weight won't make much difference if you're cruising at constant...
  9. dmjw01

1.9 TDI Cambelt - definitive time to change

Aha! I've always been confused why everyone quotes 60k as the cam belt interval, because my service schedule (54 plate Ibiza FR TDI) quotes the same as dirtysac's. Now I know why - thanks! :)
  10. dmjw01

Swapping reverse and fog wiring over?

That's not true. It has to work if it is required to be there. So for example if you have broken front fog lights on your car, that doesn't matter for the MOT test, because front fog lights are not required - it doesn't matter that they're fitted to your car and not working. I know this from...
  11. dmjw01

pd oil

ONLY if it specifically quotes the magic numbers: 505.01 A quick glance at the Castrol website shows that Diesel Magnatec is 10W40, which is not the same viscosity as a 505.01 oil. So my strong guess is no, you shouldn't use it in a PD engine. Further info from this page: It has VW 505.00...
  12. dmjw01

17958 - Charge Pressure: Control Deviation

Go into Measuring Groups, select Group 11, then click on "Basic Settings". Engine will fast-idle at about 1400 rpm and cycle the VNT mechanism every 10 seconds.
  13. dmjw01

Dielectric grease treatment.

To be honest, I get the same result just unplugging and re-plugging the MAF connector. I am no longer convinced the dielectric grease itself does anything; but that connector is definitely an Achilles heal of the engine.
  14. dmjw01

Best Tyres from this List

T1R. The fronts lasted about 10,000 miles, whereas the GSD3s lasted nearly 15,000 on the front.
  15. dmjw01

Best Tyres from this List

I'm finding that the wear rate of the Goodyear GSD3s is better than the wear rate of the Toyos. The performance of the two is nearly identical - maybe the Toyos have the slight edge, but not enough to make me want to go back to them. I'll be using the GSD3s from now on - the combination of...
  16. dmjw01

Engine Pinking 1.2

Pinking is usually caused by detonation, rather than pre-ignition. People often confuse the two things, but they are actually different and caused by slightly different things. Pre-ignition, as nathwarr says, is caused by a red-hot bit of carbon or perhaps an overheated spark plug which...
  17. dmjw01

Turbo help!

To be fair, I don't think "take the turbo off and clean it up" is a sentence that you can really start with the word "just". :D
  18. dmjw01

Cupra TDI vs Sport TDI

[cynic mode] Either that, or "it's been built and it's on its way" is a standard response to keep you happy. ;) [/cynic mode]
  19. dmjw01

Cupra TDI vs Sport TDI

Firstly, you need to be clear which Sport TDI model you're talking about. The earlier ones (up to about 2004) were the PD130, but the newer ones since then have been the PD100. The differences between the PD130 and the Cupra's PD160 include: ECU map FMIC versus SMIC Injectors Turbo...
  20. dmjw01

Premium Fuel, Millers, The World and everything....

I hadn't noticed that, but I have noticed that the handles of the BP Ultimate Diesel nozzles are much less stinky than the handles on the standard diesel nozzles. Are Ultimate users more careful to avoid dribbling it everywhere? :)
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.