£5 bulb = £270 headlamp?

emerycloth

Dec 12, 2010
Notts
Thought I would upgrade my headlamp bulbs to a whiter xenon-style look and went with Phillips Bluevision Ultra for both dipped and main beam, plus some blue W5W sidelight bulbs. Overall very pleased (powerbulbs.co.uk).

Also decided to change the orange indicator bulbs to Osram Diadems, a bargain at £10 a pair....or so I thought.

Fitting is a real pain in the a*se, with sharp plastic surrounds preventing you getting any decent torque on the bulb holder. Sorted the drivers side and then moved over to the passenger. Even less room there so decided to remove the air filter and housing to give me better access. This holder would turn, but not come out and when I eventually got it to come free, I thought I'd nailed it. :clap:

However moments later when I put the new bulb back in and 'locked' the holder in place, it became apparent that all was not how it should be. Now the bulb holder housing, part of the headlamp assembly, is rotating with the bulb holder, meaning that the metal contacts, don't connect, and that the indicator doesn't work. A hour or so of fruitless turning and pushing came to nothing, so took it to the dealers today for a quick look.

They were helpful and agreed with my diagnosis of the problem and said they'd take a closer look on Thursday when the car is in for it's MOT. However they said that if a new headlamp is needed, a fitted price would be in the region of ......£270!! :wtf:

In fairness to them, they will be looking to see if they can fix the housing but to get the headlamp out they need to drop the bumper so it's going to be costly whatever happens.

It shouldn't be this difficult or costly to change a bulb should it! And a headlamp unit shouldn't fail on a 4 year old car.

Anyway, jumping the gun - they may be able to fix it....I'll let you know.

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
My fr had an issue at Mot time . It did pass but the guy said the beam is distorted and should look at changing the head light.

OFf I went to seat leicester and got quoted 360 quid to supply and fit a new light I know the bumper needs to come off but I think he taking the urine a bit !!!!!!!

mine has done the same, i've took a feed off the side indicator so although the bulb warning lights stays on the indicator works. I'm going to take the bumper off and remove the headlight as it only looks a 10 minute job then i'll see what can be done. I'm hoping i can find the original feeds for the indicators in the loom and then connect these to the indicator. It won't be pretty but its better than £270 on a headlight. Oh and i was doing exactly the same as you, fitting silver indicators :)

emerycloth

Dec 12, 2010
Notts
In at the dealers today for my MOT and for them to try and fix the problem with my headlamp indicator.

Got a call early afternoon to say that it definately needs a new headlamp (£160 + £110 to fit) - [:@] as this will fail the MOT.

Go to collect it and the service guy says that the indicator now works?! And they fitted the Osram Diadem to it, so win all round! I'm not convinced how long this will last but at least I don't have to shell out for this at the moment. And the fried egg look is gone.

Bad news is that it still failed it's MOT, as the rear tyres are knackered (which I sort of knew)!! Been on to blackcircles.com and ordered some Conti Sport Contact 3's and then she'll be reet grippy ready for summer!!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.