£500 Nurburgring Challenge

RichFR

LeonFR 2.0 TFSi
Jun 22, 2012
Stevenage
www.dont-pose.com
Got a feeling the golf is going to win hands down,, soft top car such a bad choice!! not as firm, tend to be heaver because of work made to keep the car together without a roof,, and if he roles it,, ekkkk

But still I would love to do this challenge maybe after my wedding as think soon to be wife would kill me if I spent £500 (so jealous face goes here) !!

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
First problem with the Golf already :(

Moved it off the trailer today and it will not idle by itself, rev's ok but as soon as you come off the throttle and let to try to idle it will cut out! Last time I had this problem with the Ibiza it was the air flow sensor. Will look into it next week, I'm busy with the Ibiza this week as I have a track day down Pembrey on the 29th.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
First problem with the Golf already :(

Moved it off the trailer today and it will not idle by itself, rev's ok but as soon as you come off the throttle and let to try to idle it will cut out! Last time I had this problem with the Ibiza it was the air flow sensor. Will look into it next week, I'm busy with the Ibiza this week as I have a track day down Pembrey on the 29th.

Ach you don't need it to idle, just manage flat out should be fine lol :D

Deleted member 35176

This sounds epic!! Wish i had a spare £500 liein around!!

Aug 3, 2011
When ive got a few hundred quid spare Im following in you(any many others) footsteps and doing this! Would be an epic road trip.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Can't be the airflow sensor, they don't have one

Vac lines at the back of the inlet manifold
Well whatever the sensor is by the air filter was the problem last time ;)

Ach you don't need it to idle, just manage flat out should be fine lol :D
:funk:

This sounds epic!! Wish i had a spare £500 liein around!!

When ive got a few hundred quid spare Im following in you(any many others) footsteps and doing this! Would be an epic road trip.

Thanks guys, wait for the live updates on the breakdowns lol

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Air inlet temperature sensor?

Should cause it to cut out even if goosed, as the ecu recognises its bust and defaults itself to a sensible default

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Back in the day before my throttle bodies the Ibiza did the same.... Funnily enough when I left it stand for a while, behaving the same as the golf is now and VAG Com pointed to this sensor on fitting replacement a wire came off.

Refitted it all and worked straight away. I'm just going on past experience

Last edited:

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Today we got tax, tyres & tracking sorted on the weapons lol. Well the Golf was too low so getting my tracking done tomorrow at a different garage.

James gave the pug a service, he found the brushes were dead on the dizzy cap which probably explains why it struggles to start.

The Golf lost a reflector on the front bump on my way home, did back track my route but no joy and the exhaust is blowing slightly so may have a look tomorrow if the weather is fine.

I also raised the rear a few weeks ago, got the car up mine yesterday and did a measure around and it seems level +/- 0.5mm. The non idle problem fixed itself, looks like it needed a good runs:)

9d1fd6bb.jpg

9d0cddde.jpg

ec7fa4e5.jpg

c0db844f.jpg

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
This is an awesome idea...if only I hadnt just booked 2weeks to the cape verde islands for the end on the month. I'm on this next year 4shaw

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Went down the garage today to get my tracking done & since it was on the ramps they let me look at the blowing exhaust. Which was on the joint connecting the centre section to the back box, bit of exhaust paste & sorted :)

When they setup the alignment gear they told me to was too low & they couldn't do it!! I pulled a little on the splitter & sorted

fa07c1c6.jpg

df43589b.jpg

173bb451.jpg

And you will notice the missing reflector :( anyone got a spare they like to give/sell cheaply?

Philwild

Looks like it will be an epic trip! Look forward to hearing how you get on!

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
We have free wifi in the hotel so will have an update at the end of the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
First blood to the german! Put my foot down in a tunnel, then my battery light came and the engine over heated!

Resulted in this
81419e12.jpg

My tensioner came loose, meaning no alternator & water pump
193b4192.jpg

FIXED

But then I needed to top of the water
8898a3c1.jpg

And a before pic
dd76d445.jpg

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
First blood to the german! Put my foot down in a tunnel, then my battery light came and the engine over heated!

Resulted in this
81419e12.jpg

My tensioner came loose, meaning no alternator & water pump
193b4192.jpg

FIXED

But then I needed to top of the water
8898a3c1.jpg

And a before pic
dd76d445.jpg

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
The Pug had a modification while parked up for a break
e529f00a.jpg

35a5cec4.jpg

And after the Golf's little tantrum in Newport and many put stops we finally made it to
Dover!

ff247e90.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.