£500 Nurburgring Challenge

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Good work Dave, have a good time, go see our mate Jörg in Comfy Corner in Adenau, say Suraj sent you, will tell him to save a table for you and the lads if you need, drop me a FB message.

Have a good one, can't wait to read the antics :D

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Well we made it! After my belt problem first thing (500 miles ago) it all went smoothly!
2b97d024.jpg

67d97343.jpg

Our view of the track from our room!
8031226b.jpg

So we had some food and went for a lap, James managed a full lap but me.... Well I wasn't so luckly! The golf was going well, until my belt snapped! No power steering, battery light and and water temps started to raise! Managed to get the car off at Metzgesfeld.

On opening the bonnet I found I had no belts
d4780973.jpg

Collected all the bits
b983b006.jpg

Thankfully I didn't leak any fluid onto the track... I was checking every second. Walking into Adenau and found a Motor Factors, they have ordered me the belts I need and should be in tomorrow at 11 :)

Found that the bolt on the tensioner is missing!!?? So the tensioner is moving out causing the belt to come off! Found a hard wear store to so will be taking the tensioner down tomorrow to see if we can get a bolt to fit! Bit p*ssed off with myself for being in that saturation but the car didn't miss a beat for 500 miles.

Last edited:

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Great idea this, hats off to you :)

Hope you get the Golf all sorted for another crack at it ;)

Good work.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Good work Dave, have a good time, go see our mate Jörg in Comfy Corner in Adenau, say Suraj sent you, will tell him to save a table for you and the lads if you need, drop me a FB message.

Have a good one, can't wait to read the antics :D

Let you know tomorrow morning, food good there??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
You lucky man lol, I miss it, we always go to that cafe by Breidscheid.

Hope you are having fun :)

rs-tuner

May 5, 2010
stoke-on-trent
can i be the first to say that this is a bad idea the ring is allready a dangerous place without people in £500 sheds dropping fluids all over the track.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Agree

FWIW, if you 'think' you might be losing fluid, you STOP. You don't drive along looking out for it.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Agree

FWIW, if you 'think' you might be losing fluid, you STOP. You don't drive along looking out for it.

I was fully aware what was going on as temps raised... They were at 100 degrees when I got to a exit slip road, if it had gone all the way up then I would have stopped in case it all pressurised!

To be honest the both of us said over a pint that we wouldn't do it again, it's been a right laugh but you can enjoy the track for what it's worth!

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Mission to fix the Golf... Factors had three different aux belts but said we could have them all.... Left the biggest one there since I don't have air con, came back on fitting we needed the biggest belt lol. Trip back to the factors and sorted! Better service than I Have back home!

New Belts
b326ba69.jpg

Golf up in the air
6ed1b39d.jpg

New belts in place and fitted a bolt to the tension arm
f08ee576.jpg

e91f5eb8.jpg

And then went for a good drive about and all seems perfect
db98faee.jpg

904f0a85.jpg

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
can i be the first to say that this is a bad idea the ring is allready a dangerous place without people in £500 sheds dropping fluids all over the track.

Agree

Im pretty sure that Dave would know this already.

And as for £500 sheds.... meh.. i took my Mk2 Ibiza over there a few years back amd that cost me less than 200 quid! :ban:

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Dave.... enjoy the experience bloke.. i did. loved my trip over and will deffo do it again at some point , be it in my 'sub 200quid' car or whatever ;)

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Enjoy it buddy. Hats off to you for getting out there and experiencing it all. It's what life is all about hey! Cool view from your Hotel Room. I'm sure it'd give a nice alarm clock sound track...

Safe travels :)

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Thanks guys!!

Funny enough there was a race lotus 23b and that leaked all over the track and closed the track for the rest of the evening

Last edited:

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Well we went for a good drive and gave it a test few the lanes & it was perfect! Temps stayed steady so I had to take the plung and do a lap!! Checked everything over for the 10th and did a lap!!

And the Golf did well, handled pretty well since its got cheap eBay collies! No one ask for a time because I'm not interested in that!

Here's a few pics from the day
1643a71f.jpg

When the ring closed so we had to get on the track but first some car park messing about
e2f0d18c.jpg

9361e495.jpg

405e58f3.jpg

Trying to get up the banking
b6c22a79.jpg

b6c22a79.jpg

For the record I did but didn't take a bit!

Then we had to go on the track
8f0b8d42.jpg

602efce9.jpg

e4581a76.jpg

826d60b5.jpg

And a well earned drink
f240625b.jpg

The next challenge is trying to get back home!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.