£500 to spend on my car

InfernalBadger

Sep 6, 2006
Berkshire
Out of an upcoming bonus I have a whole mighty £500 I am 'allowed' to spend (damn fiancée ;))

Of that £275 will be for a remap. Any ideas what to spend the rest on? Car is completely standard atm, although I do have an uprated dogbone mount waiting to be put on.

Did want to upgrade to bigger brakes (312mm ones) but I don't think £225 will cover that. Will just changing to better pads + discs but keeping the same size have a big effect?

Any other ideas welcome (can probably stretch the budget to £600ish if I 'have' to ;))

Thanks.

Jan 1, 2007
Retford, Notts
Has to be ARB's, get them from Awesome for about £300, you can fit the rear yourself but front will have to wait till you can afford fitting.

Apprantly they are amazing value for money

InfernalBadger

Sep 6, 2006
Berkshire
I should add that 95% of my driving is on motorways.
I do about 8 roundabouts (which can't be done fast due to traffic :() and 4 corners going to work. So handling isn't really my highest priority atm, although I wouldn't mind getting it lowered a little bit.

I'm really hoping the clutch will last a while. I always change down gears when I put my foot down, and even then I feed the power in rather than slam my foot to the floor.

Might get a panel filter, not sure about an exhaust really. Don't think it's worth the cost (although I could get a friend to fit it for some beer tokens).

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
If getting remap i would suggest getting an uprated tip and dv
but it would be advisable to get a hi flow cat and 3" dp but given the funds that could be difficult

Jan 1, 2007
Retford, Notts
Think it would probably last a while then, you can ask your tuner to turn the torque down a tad so it prolongs the clutch life. Looks like brakes then, for me either save up and get the Porsche system, from Awesome for £800 or go for Brembo's 312mm.

InfernalBadger

Sep 6, 2006
Berkshire
I was looking at the p-torque remap which is claimed to reduce clutch slip.

For 312mm I just need the caliper carriers (£114 from vagparts), bigger discs and some new pads. So the price can vary a lot depending on the type of discs and pads. ATE Powerdiscs + DS2500s = £££ (although I'm not sure exactly how much, anybody know?) but good stopping power. Of course, my friend who could do the exhaust can probably do the brakes as well, cutting out most of the fitting cost.

olaf

Dodo Lover!!
Aug 19, 2006
Ipswich
Think it would probably last a while then, you can ask your tuner to turn the torque down a tad so it prolongs the clutch life. Looks like brakes then, for me either save up and get the Porsche system, from Awesome for £800 or go for Brembo's 312mm.

£935 for Porsche kit from Awesome.
Need to add VAT!

I'd say save the money and go for a clutch and then get your map done when you can! Itll allow you to maximise the map.

Although brakes, suspension and ARBs are all good ideas to maximise the map aswell.

Thats my plan :D

olaf

Dodo Lover!!
Aug 19, 2006
Ipswich
Fitting costs on the brakes shouldnt be too much anyway, and as you say its a DIY/get help from someone in the know type job.

DS2500s and PowerDiscs seem to be a good combo.

Im torn between those and going for the Porsche option.

Theres some ATE discs on ebay for the Cupra (might have been the R), not sure if they would fit?

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
ATE are about £150-170 for the pair and the DS2500 are £150-160

Although i have a set of brand new DS2500 for sale for £100!

As for the panle filter and exhaust which was suggested, it aint that expensive to do, £100 for mufflerectomy and £40 for a panel filter.

As Olaf says clutch and remap together is a better idea, but obviously funds have to allow that.

personally i would stick the money in an account and build on it every month to get nearer the clutch and remap price and then do it...

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2007
Retford, Notts
£935 for Porsche kit from Awesome.
Need to add VAT!

I'd say save the money and go for a clutch and then get your map done when you can! Itll allow you to maximise the map.

Although brakes, suspension and ARBs are all good ideas to maximise the map aswell.

Thats my plan :D

My plan too, why get a remap, then a clutch, then enother remap?

Remap should be last on the list imo.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
ARB really do make a HUGE difference to the handling .... 312mm upgrade is cheap enough, you can also re-use the pads if funds are tight.

Discs are cheap enough and the job is a piece of cake to do.

Panel filter will be needed with the remap anyway, so that's worth doing.

Decat is also worth doing although the backbox is the most restrictive part apparently so it might be worth just removing the rear box ( leave the cat in place ) and getting a 6x4 oval trim on the end - will sound like a much better exhaust than it actually is.

olaf

Dodo Lover!!
Aug 19, 2006
Ipswich
ATE are about £150-170 for the pair and the DS2500 are £150-160

Although i have a set of brand new DS2500 for sale for £100!

As for the panle filter and exhaust which was suggested, it aint that expensive to do, £100 for mufflerectomy and £40 for a panel filter.

As Olaf says clutch and remap together is a better idea, but obviously funds have to allow that.

personally i would stick the money in an account and build on it every month to get nearer the clutch and remap price and then do it...

I might have to ahve those pads off you!
Dont think I can stretch to the Porsche option at the moment.

What discs are you running out of interest Rodger (the ones you said you might flog me ;))?

Must ring the 'zorst place soon and see if they can book me in next week!

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
I might have to ahve those pads off you!
Dont think I can stretch to the Porsche option at the moment.

What discs are you running out of interest Rodger (the ones you said you might flog me ;))?

Must ring the 'zorst place soon and see if they can book me in next week!

Sure mate, just say when!

Discs i'm running are OE 312mm TT discs.. that have only like 1k on them...and I'm changing up to GT3 Porka set..:doh:

InfernalBadger

Sep 6, 2006
Berkshire
Clutch is a good £750 fitted though isn't it? :|
Would take a while to save that up and the remap would be more expensive as well. So I'd be looking at around £1100. I'm too impatient for that, had the car nearly a year. Need some improvements now as I'm getting bored :D

So:
Remap - £275
Panel filter - £40
Calliper Carrier - £114
EBC 312mm discs - £40
EBC Redstuff pads - £70

Total - £539

Make sense?

olaf

Dodo Lover!!
Aug 19, 2006
Ipswich
Dont think EBC stuff is that well reguarded!

£40 for discs sounds dangerously cheap.

Better off saving and then doing stuff once rather than doing it now and then wanting to redo it again in the future.

Patience is a virtue ;)

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Badger, i think you should just go with OE Discs and pads rather than EBC.. just ask unclefester what EBC pads do to your disks?!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise