£624 for a power steering pump!

wrexham

Sep 23, 2010
Power steering has been playing up for a while; light coming on randomly and lose of power steering, bit dodgy when your on a roundabout and it decides to suddenly stop working :blink:

anyway went today to get a quote for a repair and they said the part alone was £624 from seat!! christ:headhurt:

Last edited:

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Judging by the amount of posts you've put up on here with problems with your car i'd advise you to get shot of the damn thing! Sounds like you've got a right lemon tbh. As others have pointed out, a local vag independant should be able to sort it for a lot less that the dealer guaranteed.

wrexham

Sep 23, 2010
Judging by the amount of posts you've put up on here with problems with your car i'd advise you to get shot of the damn thing! Sounds like you've got a right lemon tbh. As others have pointed out, a local vag independant should be able to sort it for a lot less that the dealer guaranteed.

tell me about it, its now started also making a squealing noise when turning sharp right :think:

i really dont know what to do, its draining all my money and really getting me down, the clutch will be next :( :( still owe £2500 on the finance

Last edited:

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
tell me about it, its now started also making a squealing noise when turning sharp right :think:

i really dont know what to do, its draining all my money and really getting me down, the clutch will be next :( :( still owe £2500 on the finance

Sounds a nightmare tbh. £2.5k is quite a bit still to owe in a car thats prob worth £4k tops, better watch you don't end up in negative equity :( I think if i were you, i'd sell it, pay off the finance and get a cheap runaround thats known to be reliable.

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
Are warranty direct going to cover the cost?

Only asking as I think I am with them or someone similar. I paid the extra addon cover that's suppose to cover Turbo, Aircon and any ABS/braking sensors/pump etc. I don't think the bog standard cover does. Only cost me something like £10.50 for each additional bit so £30ish extra in total.

wrexham

Sep 23, 2010
Are warranty direct going to cover the cost?

Only asking as I think I am with them or someone similar. I paid the extra addon cover that's suppose to cover Turbo, Aircon and any ABS/braking sensors/pump etc. I don't think the bog standard cover does. Only cost me something like £10.50 for each additional bit so £30ish extra in total.

Ive just spoken to them and its still with the dept making the dec after being put in by the garage total cost they told me is £1030.50 inc VAT!!!!! ***K!

part - £661 (not inc VAT) OE from SEAT
rest is labour and VAT!!

this is a rip off, i wouldnt be suprised if they didnt want to pay it!!!

they did say they cover power steering pumps tho

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
I know they only cover labour up to a set amount per hour, over that you have to chip in. But you can go to an independent garage approved by them with cheaper labour and might get it all for nowt if approved.

Let me know what they say. To me, this kind of decision should be made by them within minutes.
1. Is warranty period valid? Check
2. Is it for the car the claim is against? Check
3. Is repair/replacement of item on the list of items covered? Check

Authorised. Could be done via phone or email in 5 minutes.

But know, they make it someones full time job to sit and mull over figures looking for a get out clause. ;)

wrexham

Sep 23, 2010
they will cover 100% of the labour. and 100% of the parts up to 60k miles after that you have to pay a percentage, my car has done 87k so i will have to pay 30% of the cost of the parts ( if they approve the claim of course :rolleyes:)

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
Sounds like who my warranty is with. I'm just too lazy to check but I got a 2 year one so have a year left on it.

Still not heard back yet ? lol

My car's just over 85k now so I hope my pump's not due to go!!

wrexham

Sep 23, 2010
Sounds like who my warranty is with. I'm just too lazy to check but I got a 2 year one so have a year left on it.

Still not heard back yet ? lol

My car's just over 85k now so I hope my pump's not due to go!!

still not heard anything :(

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
I had a similar issue cause by an alternator problem.

Are you 100% sure that it is the pump, my problem was the alternator was dropping charge at certain rev ranges and the first to drop out was the power steering. Long shot but also might also be the squeeling noice?

Baz1

Dec 6, 2004
Leicester
I had problems with mine about 5 months ago, seat were very expensive but a nice man i know sourced me one from euro car parts, £300 on an exchange. Then a good garage I know fitted it for £80.

Now watch out that a faulty power steering pump doesnt wreck your steering rack too, like it did to mine.... OUCH more expense! Get it swapped asap.

Modelmakerman

Mk4 Ibiza FR TDi
Apr 24, 2010
Bristol, UK
www.modelmakerman.com
More than likely this time of year its the battery, if you do a search youll find quite a few powersteering problem threads have suddenly started popping up recently as the weather has got colder.

Batteries dont like cold, especially if they are a bit old or on their way out, the electric power steering pump uses a lot of power so its the first thing to stop working when there isnt enough left in the battery to power it.

Mine has been doing it in this recent cold weather, I need to get the battery drop tested really and it probably needs replacing but I find that if I raise the revs to about 1500rpm for about 10 secs before moving off the alternator kicks enough juice into the battery to get the pump working and its fine after that. If yours doesnt work at all it could be a charging/alternator/wiring fault. Id get the battery and or alternator/wiring checked out first as this will be the cheaper option and the most common fault this time of year.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.