£65.50 PD tuning box

chillibean

TDI PD Tuning box bought from Dellboy on ebay for £65.50 in P&P for my (stock) Ibiza 130 TDI Sport.

Fitted it yesterday, timed myself before and after fitting using chronograph watch - several runs engine fully warmed up, ambient temp 5 degrees C, no wind on long, flat, straight road (several runs). Not too acurate I know, but at least times are relative to one another. Car's at 6100 miles (MY03).

Results: Before After
0-60 8.8 8.3
30-70 thru' gears 8.2 7.4
30-50 (4th) 6.8 5.5
50-70 (6th) 11.1 10.4
50-70 (5th) 7.2 5.7

Not bad for £65.50 methinks! - 'box is from Dragon Performance (www.mrhoot.com), and seems to be genuine VW Audi stamped product.

:devil:

tony4563

so how do u fit it? did u do it yourself? and how does it work?

tony4563

Cool...do you really find there is a real difference in acceleration though? and is it a " must have" accessory for the tdi 130 ?

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
Originally posted by tony4563
Cool...do you really find there is a real difference in acceleration though? and is it a " must have" accessory for the tdi 130 ?
For £50 - YES!!

The torque has increased quite dramatically - so the acceleration is much better. For the money you can't go wrong!

chillibean

To be honest initially didn't notice a massive difference (probably 'cos I'd been revving the nuts of the car doing times before I fitted the box), however using the car today I've noticed it seems a bit more eager than before :D .
Also (as posted elswhere) seems that mpg (at least according to the computer) is better.

Don't know if anyone else has noticed but engine seems to 'hunt' more when cold in stationary traffic than before (temp was around 0-2 degrees this morning 'mind!).

Looking forward to taking on the lads in those bloody annoying Saxo's, I gave up at a ton as he began reeling me in (t'was a country road not a motorway after all!). :p

StainedBob

Tuning box

Ive bought a Mr hoot box too..and done a few 1000 miles, I agree at tickover the engine is really quite lumpy, in traffic I tend to rest my foot on the throttle to stop the vibration and idle 200rpm or so higher...the soot/smoke is noticeable..especially when flooring it b4 the turbo has spun up, eg 45-50mph 5th/6th then floor it and the car behind dissapears...not that it is a problem...Economy...it registers 10-20% increased MPG with the computer-...its a farce..it says its using less but it ain't true, tank-tank I get 47mpg when calculated properley..Ok those points are all negative so far ......Torque/Power..not really that noticeable 0-30, I never had a problem with traction since getting ZZ3s, but now get that pesky TCS in 1st and 2nd. if i aint smooth...but once your on the A/M road..thats when this box shows its worth..the pick up from 50-100mph is really noticeable, it makes commuting the M4 a pleasure blowing away unsuspecting 'reps....but they don't take off like sootie..and so in summary..Dont buy this box for economy..buy it for a cheap bit of useful grin producing grunt

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
I agree with the (what I call) 'chuggy-ness' when the engine is idle - especially when cold. The figures from the computer are a farce anyway. Have a dig around in the TDI forum for the MPG survey and details of 'sootys modding weekend #4' for some comparisons between computer figures and actual figures, both before adding the box and after. On my car there was a definate 'actual' increase of over 10MPG, whilst the computer obviously showed this to be much much greater.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Re: Tuning box

Originally posted by StainedBob
I agree at tickover the engine is really quite lumpy, in traffic I tend to rest my foot on the throttle to stop the vibration and idle 200rpm or so higher...

Mine suffers from a lumpy idle too, haven't got the tuning box but it is chipped. Like you I've found that the lightest touch on the throttle steadies it - so light that you can't actually see the revs rise. (Next time it's idling like that, open the bonnet and see just how much the engine moves about - must be the softest engine mounts ever !)

I think I read that the lumpy idle is something to do with the dual-mass flywheel, and resonance in it's springs - sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong !

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
Re: Re: Tuning box

Originally posted by muddyboots

I think I read that the lumpy idle is something to do with the dual-mass flywheel, and resonance in it's springs

Not sure about the PD units, but flywheel resonance happens on the 110 engine at around 2000rpm. This is under heavy load however (in fact you never feel it in std car).

Since idle speed is easily controlled, I can't believe it would be set at a resonant frequency, or that engine is under a high enough load to feel any resonance :dunno:

Don't have any other explanation mind you... :)

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
Oooh so it was! :D

But....as an old writer-of-de-sh1te I've been there before, and probably will be again.

But for the moment.... look
<<<<<< A Space Oddyssey.

;)

orangesprout

Cheeky !!
Apr 10, 2003
Dodge City, North East
Visit site
Originally posted by driveforward
I agree with the (what I call) 'chuggy-ness' when the engine is idle - especially when cold. The figures from the computer are a farce anyway. Have a dig around in the TDI forum for the MPG survey and details of 'sootys modding weekend #4' for some comparisons between computer figures and actual figures, both before adding the box and after. On my car there was a definate 'actual' increase of over 10MPG, whilst the computer obviously showed this to be much much greater.

I've got a 110 with TD performance plug -in box cost £ 280.

I have no trouble at all - idles beautifully and makes nice induction growl when accelerating.

Had no trouble with clutch (finger crossed - as my 306HDi with Tuning box was a nightmare)

I've been running it for about a year now with no complaints about my little add-on.

Maybe it boils to that age old saying - you only get what you pay for??

:confused:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I think the lumpy idle is a feature of the PD engines, AFAIK the non-PD engines don't have dual-mass flywheels.

Barry

Red'n'Blue Army
Jun 4, 2003
Essex
www.rednbluearmy.com
Has anyone else apart from orangesprout got a tuning / performance box on their 110 Ibiza?

I am thinking of getting one but I don't really want to spend £280, I have seen a few on e-bay for about £100 - £150. Will these be any good?

One is made by a company called Diesel Tech (I think) and it says you get a power increase of up to 30bhp. is this figure true?

orangesprout

Cheeky !!
Apr 10, 2003
Dodge City, North East
Visit site
JonTDi has same one on his car
Got it RR'd to see what max power is (no torque figure unfortunatley)

Std car is approx 130 bhp

Box on setting 5 (which is my everyday setting) 145bhp

Box setting 7 (max) approx 155bhp

Good results - does what it says on packet !!

I went with them because it was same person i got tuning box for
my Pug 306 and was a local to me company.

Advice - look for a box with has a MAF sensed connection - it varies fuel delivery to MAF sensor rather than full fuelling all the time.

My box doesn't smoke too much - just a little.
I think Diesel Tech ones don't use a MAF sensor.

Up to you to be honest - Black car would never show soot anyway.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.