"0 Miles" Range

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
I have never tried this and I never will because I know it is bad for the engine but I was just wondering. When the fuel computer shows "0 miles" left on Range. How far will the car actually take you?

Reactions: kanyewest

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
I have never tried this and I never will because I know it is bad for the engine but I was just wondering. When the fuel computer shows "0 miles" left on Range. How far will the car actually take you?
ive always wanted to do some experiments in this area. carry a jerry can with some fuel and just drive on deserted roads to see what mileage i can get when my fuel light comes on (i dont have a digital indicator). how bad is it for the car to do something like that?

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
ive always wanted to do some experiments in this area. carry a jerry can with some fuel and just drive on deserted roads to see what mileage i can get when my fuel light comes on (i dont have a digital indicator). how bad is it for the car to do something like that?
Draining it completely can drag some of the settled sediment in the tank into the fuel lines and into the injectors. Never recommended to run a car empty in general

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
15 miles on a cupra 280. This was the receipt after fillup.
669d6d849dc1456d60f3d5e40e9feaa9.jpg
4bf2310cb09754e9b15ba3ecfab1964c.jpg

Mcdoodlz

Mar 21, 2018
Derbyshire
I used to have a 2011 Leon fr tdi a while back and managed at least 40 miles on the zero, it was past midnight and I was doing a lift for a mate I just didn't think about fuel and I was too stubborn to fill up

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I’ve done about 30 miles from zero due to an early morning run and not being near fuel, SWMBO never pays attention or tells me when fuel is low, anyway when I filled it up to the brim it was less than 50 litres so it wasn’t empty then.

eltawater

May 1, 2008
Did you fill up with Momentum 99? and 284 miles to a tank?
Yes, typically i get 284 before i get the low fuel warning. That week i had done lots of short journeys around Christmas so had the low fuel earlier.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I remember a top gear episode where they drove three different cars until they ran out off fuel - all did around 100 miles after the gauge said empty.

Having said that I've never even got to 0 range on any car, I'm not the type to make unnecessary problems.

silles

May 4, 2017
once we rented a car ( was a Honda Jazz) and had to return it with empty tank, so we did just like that :)
after 0 range, we still managed to do 20-30 miles, gf was not so happy about this :D

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
Cause driving with low fuel can damage the fuel pump. Debris and contaminants from the fuel that settle at the bottom of the tank will be sent through the fuel pump finding it way into the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that true though for modern cars? It might have been years ago for cars in the 50's and 60's. Surely the fuel filter will prevent any debris getting into the injectors and engine and I would of thought that the fuel pick up point would be at the bottom of the tank anyway so it's always drawing fuel from the bottom, happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Is there not an integrated strainer/filter prior to LP fuel pump in the tank and then a second primary fuel filter prior to the HP fuel pump to prevent contaminants damaging the fuel system?

I’ve used some pretty low grade fuel, from some of the finest Middle Eastern Jerry cans and fuel tankers in the past, and at worst a filter replacement was all that was required - a damaged air filter was far more likely to allow the ingestion of dust into the engine. Hence the reduced servicing regimes for hot and/or desert environments in the manufacturer’s advice.

eltawater

May 1, 2008
Yes it normally starts whining at 35 miles remaining but I fill up to find that it only takes 43litres in :) it's why I'm quite relaxed about it when others may crap their pants when it bongs :)

I have a daily commute of 90 miles roundtrip so I'm a frequent visitor to the petrol station.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Regardless of my post above, like others I generally fill up at the 1/4 tank mark. However, after picking the car up from my wife at the weekend, the fuel fairies were required...

I managed to squeeze 51 litres in, with 15 miles to empty still displayed in the range.

On the plus side, the range to empty is only a prediction with respect to how the car had been driven over the past ‘x’ miles, so at least she hasn’t been thrashing it about!

markrtw

Mar 3, 2018
Northants
Cause driving with low fuel can damage the fuel pump. Debris and contaminants from the fuel that settle at the bottom of the tank will be sent through the fuel pump finding it way into the engine.

I never understand this logic.

Why are you going to get any more debis & sediment than through normal driving? The pickup is in the bottom of the tank and surely sediment will flow around more easily with more fluid? I know diesel fuel pumps are lubricated by the diesel fuel, but not petrol fuel pumps and doesn't the fuel filter stop contaminants getting to the engine?

Way back in the day the supply chain was not great and contaminants could make it through the system and to the tank, but there just isn't any evidence of low fuelled cars conking out all over the place and we have been widely using fuel injectors since the mid eighties.

In not trying to start an argument, I just don't see this in practice.

Reactions: kanyewest

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
I never understand this logic.

Why are you going to get any more debis & sediment than through normal driving? The pickup is in the bottom of the tank and surely sediment will flow around more easily with more fluid? I know diesel fuel pumps are lubricated by the diesel fuel, but not petrol fuel pumps and doesn't the fuel filter stop contaminants getting to the engine?

Way back in the day the supply chain was not great and contaminants could make it through the system and to the tank, but there just isn't any evidence of low fuelled cars conking out all over the place and we have been widely using fuel injectors since the mid eighties.

In not trying to start an argument, I just don't see this in practice.

Yes diesel lubricates the pumps but petrol cars rely on petrol as cooling aid as well as fuel. As the injectors run at a high pressure and temperature, they need constant fuel flow for lubrication and cooling. When an injector desperately tries to inject fuel but receives none, as there is no gas left in the tank, it may permanently fail due to overheating.

Also when you suck up the last bit of fuel from the tank, the thin sediment at the bottom of the tank will travel to the fuel filter and possibly clog it.

Of course this scenario is less likely in a modern/ new car it could still occur from regular occurrence.

Still, surely prevention is better than cure?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.