"0 Miles" Range

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
The only thing in fuel that will damage an engine/fuel system is water. If there is debris it only gets as far as the filter, if the filter clogs its a case of a new filter and that's it.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Wouldn't recommend trying this with a diesel. If you run out, a jerry can full of diesel wont get you started on its own. You'll need to bleed the air out of the fuel lines.

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
The only thing in fuel that will damage an engine/fuel system is water. If there is debris it only gets as far as the filter, if the filter clogs its a case of a new filter and that's it.

Exactly my point. If you can prevent needing to replace your fuel filter and injectors by simply keeping your fuel above at least 1/5th of a tank then why wouldn't you?

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
I have never tried this and I never will because I know it is bad for the engine but I was just wondering. When the fuel computer shows "0 miles" left on Range. How far will the car actually take you?
There's a reserve amount in the tank that when reached a 0 mile range is indicated, you can alter the level of the reserve via a Carista or OBDII dongle. I can't remember the volume, 5 or 10 litres I think? I will check later to see what it is in litres. To calculate the miles, convert to gallons and go by your MPG. Actually draining the tank right the way down isn't a good idea, as of the unavoidable dirt found at the bottom of the tank.

Reactions: kanyewest

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
There's a reserve amount in the tank that when reached a 0 mile range is indicated, you can alter the level of the reserve via a Carista or OBDII dongle. I can't remember the volume, 5 or 10 litres I think? I will check later to see what it is in litres. To calculate the miles, convert to gallons and go by your MPG. Actually draining the tank right the way down isn't a good idea, as of the unavoidable dirt found at the bottom of the tank.

Yeah that would be useful to know!

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Yes diesel lubricates the pumps but petrol cars rely on petrol as cooling aid as well as fuel. As the injectors run at a high pressure and temperature, they need constant fuel flow for lubrication and cooling. When an injector desperately tries to inject fuel but receives none, as there is no gas left in the tank, it may permanently fail due to overheating.

Also when you suck up the last bit of fuel from the tank, the thin sediment at the bottom of the tank will travel to the fuel filter and possibly clog it.

Of course this scenario is less likely in a modern/ new car it could still occur from regular occurrence.

Still, surely prevention is better than cure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No again. The fuel system shuts down as soon as the engine stops.

Reactions: davidstarkey11

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
Do the petrol cars not cool the fuel pump using the fuel?
They do on some cars and running low can lead to early pump failure.
I don't really understand why anyone would even chance this! It's not much hassle to fill up before it gets so low.

Reactions: davidstarkey11

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Mmmmm, why have a 10*gallon tank and only use 8? Why carry excess weight constantly?

*only an example figure.

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
This week's exciting instalment :D

I think it's beneficial to understand the capabilities of your car. I know some people who go into a blind panic when the car pings for low fuel, desperately trying to cram into the nearest motorway petrol station for fear of conking out.

I know I can be a bit more relaxed about it and drive to the next Tesco for my clubcard points. Only reason why I didn't drag this one out even further was that I was near the start of my daily 90 miles and the petrol station is much quieter in the mornings. :D
4180e11af1cb1657c3951a7b42104e7c.jpg
31da229676d92f177823113abed032e8.jpg

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Had a nervous 4 mile journey from my place work to tecso petrol station today with the range reading 0 before I got to work.

Didn't feel confident at all, I don't normally let it get this low but an unexpected detour unaccounted for the extra low fuel level.

Pic as i arrived at the pump

f9a5911306c091caba3c3ad1e701a3db.jpg

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Do the petrol cars not cool the fuel pump using the fuel?
They do on some cars and running low can lead to early pump failure.
I don't really understand why anyone would even chance this! It's not much hassle to fill up before it gets so low.

You mean running out, don't you? The pump doesn't know the difference between 5 litres left or 40, all it sees is fuel, or no fuel.
And, as I said, the pump will stop when the engine stops. Even if it didn't, would you leave the ignition on for 5 or more minutes after it runs out?
In addition, the current draw when a pump is sucking air is very low because there is no load on it.

There seems to be a general lack of basic knowledge of vehicle systems on the internet.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Wouldn't recommend trying this with a diesel. If you run out, a jerry can full of diesel wont get you started on its own. You'll need to bleed the air out of the fuel lines.

Maybe luck, but, I had to take 5L of Diesel to a friend before xmas who'd run out, it started after around 30/40 seconds of cranking.

Couple of weeks ago I left where I was working to return home, display indicated 35 miles to do a 25 mile trip, with very slow driving 1 mile from my local fuel station it went down to 0. I filled up with 54.5L (first click on pump) into a 55L (Mk.2 Leon) tank with finally finishing at 56L.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Draining it completely can drag some of the settled sediment in the tank into the fuel lines and into the injectors. Never recommended to run a car empty in general

The pick up within the tank must surely be at the bottom of the tank, so each time you park and restart, it picks up any settled sediment. Any floating debris when 1/4 left or below at some point when on the move will enter the pick up pipe therefore, I feel it makes no difference how low a tank runs and fuel filters must be doing their jobs, unless I'm missing something..

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Did about 6 miles in my old Cupra 420 when it was showing 0, didn't dare go any further as the next station was about 30 miles away.

Dickyp

Aug 25, 2018
Maybe luck, but, I had to take 5L of Diesel to a friend before xmas who'd run out, it started after around 30/40 seconds of cranking.

Couple of weeks ago I left where I was working to return home, display indicated 35 miles to do a 25 mile trip, with very slow driving 1 mile from my local fuel station it went down to 0. I filled up with 54.5L (first click on pump) into a 55L (Mk.2 Leon) tank with finally finishing at 56L.
Modern diesels from Mk4 golf / MK1 Leon at least have self bleed systems that allow them to run dry and purge the system.
I know this as the AA man advised when some idiots decided to leave my fuel pump dangling in a golf and it ran dry even though the gauge said fuel still in there.

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
You mean running out, don't you?
No. I put running low because that's what I meant.

On the cars I've met over the last 20 years or so the pump has been in the fuel and used it for cooling. Running low on fuel could cause premature pump failure. I don't know where the pump is on these cars - someone say....

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
Ticked over to zero just before i turned into the petrol station today, 47 litres in :D
58fc5465accab54c63a6ee0da31f8833.jpg

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members