020 Gearbox

stevo

Dec 18, 2002
Aberdeen
Visit site
Can anyone help on my gearbox saga.

'98 Ibiza Cupra 8v (020 box). Fitted a Mk2 golf box (020 I think) and it was really wooly on gear selection, (wobbling stick when in gear and having to push down to get 5th like you do reverse). Loads of mucking about on the linkage to eventually get all the gears, but was never right. One month later, started leaking oil, so back to square one.

Picked up a Mk3 golf box and it is 020 as well. Should this fit?
I thought all 020 boxes were the same, but having had the difficulties with selection on the mk2 box, I don't want to waste time put it on the car to find the same problem with linkage.

Do I need to another code as well as the 020 to match it, or to search for a cupra box from somewhere?

Cheers
:help:

stevo

Dec 18, 2002
Aberdeen
Visit site
oh, forgot to add, when the MK2 box was in I needed a bent shift selector rod to get all the gears, but when I took the Mk3 box out it had a straight rod and wiehgted shifter like the standard cupra box. All linkage mounting on the chassis looks the same as well.

Red Ibiza VR6

Dec 24, 2005
Sydney, Australia
There are many different 020 boxes. All should work, but some have different ratios.
Mk3 one is obviously newer.
Only trap to watch out for is that Mk3 gearboxes have either 22mm or 24mm input shafts depending on whether they are early or late boxes.
You can use either one, but will have to change the clutch if you use the different kind to what you have.
Sounds like you have the early 22mm type, as you slotted a Mk2 box straight in.
I`d be measuring up the shaft on the replacement box before getting dirty.
The weighted rod sounds good, it makes a nice difference to the shift.

stevo

Dec 18, 2002
Aberdeen
Visit site
Mk2 was definately different clutch size to the standard Cupra box. At the moment have no box on, but when comparing the 2 'new' boxes there is no difference, so do I pay to have the Mk3 box fitted and hope for the best in that the play in shift is fine or do I try and get a cupra box, which seems very difficult to find, or just scrap the car??? Real worry is that the Mk3 box goes on and shift is so bad that selling within a year will be difficult. Car is sound in every other way, sailed MOT and no bodywork problems etc... amd I love it except the problems with getting her back on the road for the past three months. With recent new baby in tow, I'm struggling to justify all the expense to the missus!!!!!

Red Ibiza VR6

Dec 24, 2005
Sydney, Australia
You were very unlucky to get a dodgy 020 box. I have fitted and driven untold of em over the last 15 years and have blown up a few, but usually they are either great or knackered. There is very little middle ground. I`d bang that Mk3 box in. You could do it yourself, its not hard. 3 big bolts, 2 through the starter and front engine mount and 6 on each driveshafts. Thats it. Good Luck.

Red Ibiza VR6

Dec 24, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Linkages and shifters are always needing adjustment if you change the box.
Best way is lie underneath with the car on ramps, or in th gutter with the car on a high kerb and have an assistant move through the gears.
If they put in fifth, and you loosten the 13mm nut off the linkage until the assistant has the lever in the perfect position for fifth with the lever touching the side and forward in the gate, then you tighten up the nut underneath while they hold it steady and all gears should be achieveable. There is fine tuning by adjusting the lingth and angle of the rods, but the seat weighted rod is the best one to use.
You set it in fifth so that there is enough space for reverse.
Hope that makes sense and helps.

fuey

i wana go faster
Jan 12, 2004
north west
uk.geocities.com
Hi, dragging up this thread again, (sorry)

My 2nd gear has started to grind. It actually drives ok-ish with it in 2nd, just noisey/grindy.

All other gears, inc. reverse are fine, no noices etc, just 2nd.

What could the issues be?

i'm guessing here but :-
pedal box? (gear selection is ok... so far) (how much for pedal-box?)
linkages-shifter? (god knows if this might even be the culprit)
clutch? (how much? where from?)
gearbox? (do i need a whole box? mk3 i presume)
if its the sync.mesh how is that fixed? (prob new gear box...)

How do I check the gearbox oil?

Apologies for stupid questions, not touched gear boxes before.

I have a haynes manual, car ramps, decent socket set, and a garage to work into the late hours, can it be done?

Last edited:

EvilKinevil

Mar 24, 2004
Scotland
Hi, sounds like you had the same problem as me. The first to second syncromesh wore out on mine and would crunch between first and second. You have 2 choices, you can buy another box or get your box reconditioned. is it a 16v or 8v you have? It is possible to fix the sync but it would be a pig of a job. I just changed the box

you would notice if it was the pedal box, but there is a quick fix to this (do a search)

the clutch you would also notice whilst driving but it would be advised to replace the clutch when replacing the box. Retail about £80 from a motor factors (not halfords)

not sure how to check the g/box oil. think there is a viewer somewhere but have never seen it

there is a whole load of info about boxes on this site as I was told it is a common problem for them to wear out, especially when out cars are gettin on a bit

basically any 02 box will fit there is a load of different ratios dependand on what car it came out (golf, passat etc) the codes are 02A 02J etc. I looked for a month to find an ibiza 02 8v box and eventually got a mk3 golf gti one.
so the box needs to be 100% from your type of car (16v or 8v) it needs to be 02? and it needs to be VW. look on ebay there are plenty of Mk2 & Mk3 golf GTi boxes form week to week

I was advised to change the clutch and clutch cable while things were all apart also you will need a gasket

the 02 marking will be on the bellhousing of the gearbox, you may also have a sticker in the bootwell which has all the cars info on it.

if you are keen and have the tools and space it can be done yourself, but I bought all the stuff and took it to my local garage they fitted it. in all it cost me around £800 so it aint gonna be cheap

take it to a garage you trust first see what they have to say. I drove around with my sync worn out for about a year before changeing the box so it aint gonna go bang unless you hammer it hard

good luck

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.