Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

034 Motorsport K04 manifold - Review of Cracked one

Discussion in 'Badger5' started by ibizacupra, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibizacupra

ibizacupra Jack-RIP my little Friend
    Forum Sponsor

Right..
    I had a look at the 034 k04 mani which came off Wellys S3 last week last night.

The replacement arrived yesterday (thankyou Issam), however there are some worrying aspects about the cracked one and its replacement.

see below.. make your own conclusions :no:

1st thing was to attempt a repair to the crack on #4 runner, preheating the manifold before hand.. with a very odd heat pattern. Only one side of the cracked manifold would heat up as seen... the other side would not get to an even temp. Some very odd material in this section, and or wall thickness, so no surprise at all there is a large stress raiser if one side glows red easily whilst the other does'nt.. Differential expension = Crack!
    [​IMG]

Once welded it looked like this.
    [​IMG]
    The melting point of the material was Very Low. Very few amps were requried before this material puddled and sank..a strange soft material with a low melting point.. Way less than a std factory manifold which I also weld repaired to try and compare known ok quality vs 034.
    K03 repaired crack below. Also preheated with the same blow torch and it would not glow at all unlike the 034 which glowed easily on its one side of the crack?
    [​IMG]

Now the other runner crack was attempted to weld repair, with resultant epic fail. Again the material when pooled had all manner of slag rising out of the material, and aa very low ampage was required to melt the parent material. No matter what I tried with pre-heating with the torch, as soon as the castign started to cool, it would Tink, Tink and a crack reappeared next to the weld.

Point to mention here is this Tink Tink is the exact same sound Welly reported the manifold made on cooling down after first being fitted. Castings should not make this noise, its contracting and cracking when it does.

For the crack to reappear next to the heat affected zone adjacent to the weld is not uncommon, however, it would just not stop, and finally a portion away from the welded section also broke/cracked, so I called it a day. The thing is simply made from very poor material, and has serious manufacturing issues and defects.
    Cracked again near the welded bit..
    [​IMG]

The New Replacement (issues)
    As delivered, curious as to why 034 Motorsport had been badly ground off? Why would someone do this?
    [​IMG]

And the issues on the new manifold.. Porosity, chemical metal filled? ? ?
    Pictures of area's in question which look filled to me with a material which looks like chemical metal. surely not..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The material these are cast from is nothing like as high temp as a factory manifold. Simple test of ampage on the tig welder and blow torch confirm this. The debris coming out of the 034 manifold when welding confirms the material is poor and contaminated. The casting shows significant porosity also, and on the replacement, what looks like a vein attempt to "fill" some cavity with a material? Remember these manifolds see >900'C temps in normal service.

I am absolutely stunned at the abysmal quality of these 034 manifolds. Very poor material choice (cheap) has ruined what could have been a good product. Casting issues also very evident with respect to the prorosity seen. totally unacceptable to me, for anyone to be offering these for sale. There is no way simply ceramic coating the manifolds will remedy the inherant issues evident on the 2 I have seen.

Shocked.. and extremely dissapointed in all concerned offering these to folks and taking their money for them!

#1 ibizacupra, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  2. wild willy

wild willy Full Member

Words fail me. :banned:
    That would explain why no big product launch. INA / 034 could have cornered a big niche market with this, instead an epic fail.
    Good work Bill, at least perspective owners know what to expect.

PS. these must be fecking bad if the manufactures don't even want to put thier name to it.:lol: :cry:

3. JamJay

JamJay California Bound

Thanks Bill. Another one bites the dust and once again, we wait on JBS. All I can say is that I hope the wait is worth it.

4. brad1

brad1 Guest

I can't believe the state of that manifold that is suppose to be new, looks bodged together. Hopefully these tubular manifolds that TSR are making will be the one to go for :)

5. csd_19

csd_19 Full Member

So that's both the K03 and K04 manifolds now been proven to be nothing but bother.

What honest RELIABLE options do we have left??

6. RobDon

RobDon Pro Detailer

Total garbage, hope nobody else gets sucked in and buys one, waste of money by the looks of it. Good work Bill in exposing this junk.

7. brad1

brad1 Guest

Well said! :)

8. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

the thing is a cast material change may well be whats required to fix the issue, but shrinkage rates post casting on another material may nett some other issues as yet unknown.

there are materials like what I googled below which are designed for the high temp dutys they will see.

http://www.cbmm.com.br/portug/sources/techlib/science_techno/table_content/sub_5/images/pdfs/053.pdf

Other comment on the replacement shows a build up of sand on the mould from the previous cast on the webs, which to me shows there are cleaning issues of the core at the foundry if this is not checked. All symptums at face value of a very cheap foundry process being employed.

9. welly.

welly. Badger 5 Edition

I completely agree. It's not so much just the fact it's a bad product, as in the fact that there are some people that will pay big money to get these fitted by a garage etc.

I was disappointed when it cracked, understandably, however, if I had paid a substantial sum of money to have someone else fit it, I would have been raging mad.

10. IbanezDan51

IbanezDan51 Active Member

Does 034/INA have nothing to comment about on here?

11. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

Remember they are - 8 hours behind us in the UK so wont see the email or posts instantly

12. dalegolf215

dalegolf215 UNbanned

:snack: this should be interesting

so options are jbs or tsr?

13. GregP

GregP Ibiza Cupra R JBS05

shocking ! probably rubbish made in China, with no traceability of the materials used in casting.

I have been following Welly's thread, as have been waiting nearly 2 years for someone to sort a decent manifold to get the best out of the hybrid turbo, and was hoping the solution had been found.

dont know how many times i have contacted JBS to be told 'coming soon'.... Given up on them !

Just placed deposit and ordered the TSR tubular manifold, made to order but should have it in time for christmas :) Hope it performs well...

14. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

Its not China its apparently Mexico these 034-k04 ones are made I heard

TSR one is pretty, and will hopefully prove to be reliable. Only one way of finding out of course-good luck, hope it works out for you

15. GregP

GregP Ibiza Cupra R JBS05

probably be coming your way for fitting and set up.... i will give you a bell to discuss. i did contact you recently about new downpipe etc sorry didnt get down not had access to the trailer recently.

16. brad1

brad1 Guest

Its like TSR have seen these crap manifolds and shined through the rest and made a decent tubular one which will hopefully be successful and reliable. Would this TSR manifold and your 3" tip Bill make a noticeable affect on a stock K04 running stage 2? :)

17. The MoffMeister

The MoffMeister Half Hoff, Half Moff.

great and if we bought one got it fitted and paid good money for labour bet 034 ina wouldnt reimburst us

18. h7 cya

h7 cya Active Member

Bill all i can say is thank you for taking your time in running these tests, we should all consider ourselves very lucky to have such a dedicated enthusiastic/trader who bends over backwards for other like minded people.

Good on ya mate![B)]:seatgod:

19. rsmith

rsmith Robbie

:whistle: I have one fitted to my setup, When i bought it from 034 it seemed to be a bit of a hush hush transaction and if I remember caused a bit of a $hit storm on my RR cause INA got all bend out of shape because I managed to it direct from 034.

TBO i was surprised i even got it, you won't find the product on there website!!!!

So far it has been on 2k, I am holding my breath big time and saving money at the same time for a new mani, I have already had the "tink tink" dead rattle sound from it but so far it has held firm, I am not sure if this is cause of my WMI or I just got lucky and Welly didn't.

Paul-murphys also has one, not sure if its fitted yet though, also someone over on the tt forum has one, his thread hasn't been updated yet as to the outcome.
    http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=179530

P.S Bill, the original one i received from 034 did not have any of the "features" that you have pictured above on the replacement manifold, i have pictures if you like.

#19 rsmith, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.