'06 1.4 emission control light after a long run

Audi_Bloke

My son's got a bit of a strange one with his '06 1.4 - the emissions control light (yellow engine symbol) comes on and it's a bit erratic at low revs (makes pulling out of junctions a bugger!) but it's only done it twice and both time after a long motorway run.

Here's the bit that makes it strange, both times it's happened, it's been on a run down the A1/M62/M18/M180 from Durham to Grimsby. It's never done it going anywhere else! :confused:

Has he got the first Ibiza with a psychological dislike of certain towns? :D

I've suggested first off (as he's a student type and would buy cheap petrol like he buys cheap beer!) that we run it empty and give it a tank of Tesco's 99 RON. Worth it or not?

Any ideas, other than getting a VAG-COM or other diags on to it?

TIA chaps and chapesses,

Chris.

Veyron

Dec 3, 2009
Birmingham
This could be anything and doesn't necessarily mean it is the emissions. The way to identify the problem is to ask a mechanic or someone with a Vag-Com computer to hook it up as this will list any faults or problems that need sorting. Mine came on when the fuel mixture was too rich.

Also the RAC man i know told me that cheap supermarket petrol is poor quality and affects the engine because i used to use Asda's, now i go to Shell and have had no more problems.

Audi_Bloke

The way to identify the problem is to ask a mechanic or someone with a Vag-Com computer to hook it up
I was hoping it was a common thing and somebody would say something like "Oh yeah, just run three times round it waving a jerry can of Optimax over it and chanting to the great god Petroleum and it'll go away for three months" or whatever. :D

I guess I'll have to get it diag'd then. Bit of a pain becuase the dealer I bought it from (a Honda dealer actually) that warrantied it for a year is 50 mins drive away.

Cheers anyway.

Veyron

Dec 3, 2009
Birmingham
I was hoping it was a common thing and somebody would say something like "Oh yeah, just run three times round it waving a jerry can of Optimax over it and chanting to the great god Petroleum and it'll go away for three months" or whatever. :D

I guess I'll have to get it diag'd then. Bit of a pain becuase the dealer I bought it from (a Honda dealer actually) that warrantied it for a year is 50 mins drive away.

Cheers anyway.

The chances are any small mechanic will have the computer and be able to diagnose it and will probably be cheaper than driving 50 miles to a seat dealer and getting it done there, unless it's in warranty?

Audi_Bloke

Honda Happiness Guarantee or whatever they call the warranty that comes with used cars from Honda dealers... It's out of manufacturer's warranty, for sure.

I might find a local mech with an OBD computer and get it plugged in for a look-see. If it seems like it might be something significant, I'll take it to the place I bought it from.

Ta.

Veyron

Dec 3, 2009
Birmingham
Honda Happiness Guarantee or whatever they call the warranty that comes with used cars from Honda dealers... It's out of manufacturer's warranty, for sure.

I might find a local mech with an OBD computer and get it plugged in for a look-see. If it seems like it might be something significant, I'll take it to the place I bought it from.

Ta.

It could just be something minor, i got mine looked at by a guy i know in return for a 10 pack of Carling lol, so it could pay to use a small mechanic instead of the £80 that seat charge.

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
i had a similar thing with mine, and it was a problem with the egr, i took to my local guys (unit 18) and they changed the egr perameters and its been perfect ever since

mine was triggered from running normal petrol with miller or v power diesel for ages (as in 3 months) then swapped back to normal diesel, 3-4 days later, EML light :(

my local seat dealer where next to useless, they changed the egr 3 times, control unit once and air mass meter once as well

joop200789

Jul 5, 2009
Barnsly
mine was triggered from running normal petrol with miller or v power diesel for ages (as in 3 months) then swapped back to normal diesel, 3-4 days later, EML light :(

am not suprised your put the light up, swapping from petrol to diesel:lol:

oj i know what you saying cars tend to get hooked on the good stuff fuel wise like a crack addict

like they get hooked on easy start if you use it too much

rich3001

Mar 9, 2009
If you take the car back under warrenty, Honda will charge you to test it. I bought my car from a Honda dealer and had 3 warrenty issues and they managed to get out of paying or fixing any problems :ban: and i was left out of pocket by about £150 :censored:

Audi_Bloke

If you take the car back under warrenty, Honda will charge you to test it.
Hmm, worth knowing, thanks.

It doesn't seem to have done it again. It just doesn't like coming down the M/A180 to Grimsby. But then, who does, eh? :blink:

If it happens again, I'll get it hooked up to a diag and see what's what.

Cheers folks & Merry Xmas!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.