09 Altea XL Advice

K9Cupra

Hi

I have seen a nice 09 plate Altea XL at a local dealers, and considering buying it for the wife to ferry the kids about as an upgrade from the current Vauxhall Meriva.

Its the 2.0 TDI 140bhp version. The test drive was good and space inside the car was exactly what we are after. The only thing which is putting me off is when I researched the 2.0 TDI 140 engine, oil pump failure causing damage to engine and turbo seems to be a huge issue with these engines in the VW and Audi. As far as I am aware the same engine is also in Altea so has anyone had a failure of this type?

Secondly does the 140bhp engine have a DPR?

Any advice appreciated.

xlray

Jun 6, 2007
Hi.

The turbo on my 07 XL failed at 23k. They need a good thrash on a regular basis to keep the mechanism in the turbo from sticking. Mine is a DSG so difficult to thrash as in drive it changes up early, but in sport it hangs on to the gears more.

Mine is not that economical either. I think my average, having recorded all fuel put in it is about 42MPG.

xlray

ming

Oct 4, 2009
Glasgow
It was the 2.0L 140bhp TDI engine oil pump and balancer shaft issues that swayed me towards the 1.9 TDI.
The stories of those affected by these issues, especially guys in the VAG Audi forum, are simply horrendous.

clutha

Recently had two longish trips in our 1.9 XL. Real life mpg was 52 on a partial motorway run to York, and 49 on run to Aviemore.
Well pleased!:whistle:

ming

Oct 4, 2009
Glasgow
On mostly local running on a mix of A and B roads I get 45mpg.
Don't do much in the way of longish motorway runs, so can't comment.

clutha

Just achieved 60mpg today but won't be trying that again. 50 mph on motorways is just too boring[B)]

Had to go to Screwfix in Glasgow on A roads, dual carriageway, and motorway. Not in any hurry so thought I'd try to get the max mpg.

Having driven lorries at a governed 54mph I knew it would do my head in but now I know what I can get.

Next long journey will be a soot blowing job:whistle: