1.0 in the real world?

Arctic

Jun 15, 2005
Newcastle...ish
Hi,

I currently have an exeo and a Citroen C4 VTS on its last legs.

Been looking at the toledo 1.0 to replace the C4, looks a fantastic car especially for the price. Only thing that concerns me is the small engine . What are they like in the real world? Work is a 40 mile round trip mainly dual carriageway (sometimes once a week, sometimes 5 days a week) average 12k a year

I just feel a 1.0 will have to work a lot harder than say a 2.0ltr if that makes sense.

Gaz

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
It's got enough go, it doesn't feel like a 1.0 at all if you keep it in the right rev range, but if you're used to a diesel it will feel alien.

Mine has loosened up now it's passed 2000 miles, so I have to admit it's a better drive than I initially thought, though I still prefer the 1.2.

Who knows, the mpg looks like it might be starting to improve as well.

The fuel consumption of small turbo engines continues to frustrate me - this 1.0 more so than it's predecessor 1.2, but that's mostly because the EU figures are outright lies. The 1.0 now seems to be matching the 1.2 for mpg at high 40's.

Quality wise, I think it will seem OK compared to a Citroen, but maybe not the Exeo.
After all that is really an Audi, the Toledo is designed and built by Skoda.

Reactions: Arctic

Smileyman

Aug 9, 2017
I drive a 1.0 engine Toledo, have driven 15k since August, prior to this I drove a 2 litre Nissan Primera. My daily commute is 37 miles each way, 20 miles at motorway speeds, balance a mix of urban and single carriageway 'A' roads, annually I drive circa 20k miles.

Generally it keeps up well, it depends how hard you want to push it, on the motorway it's a relaxed outside lane cruiser, 6th gear is fine for this, OK on steeper inclines it may need a little more stick to keep up the speed, however this is not a surprise. I'm getting 45 mpg, probably will be better now the weather is warmer.

As previous poster stated the EU figure is fiction, however this is true all cars these days (hopefully after Brexit the UK will get a better system).

I've never driven the 1.2 litre engine car so cannot compare.

Reactions: Arctic

Arctic

Jun 15, 2005
Newcastle...ish
Cheers for the input guys, I'll take another one out and get it on the motorway.

Just been looking up, unfortunately the 18 plates are now 140 to tax compared to the 20 of the 17plate models

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Yeah, all the 1.0 Toledos are 140 whereas my 1.2 was only 20.
The 1.0 weren't on sale when the tax changed.

For cheap tax, really low miles top spec 1.2 Style Advanced on Autotrader from 9995 today.

Last edited: