1.2 TSI Oil Top Up?

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Just turned over 3500 miles in my 1.2 TSI and yellow oil light came on, which I was a bit surprised at. I've driven many marques (petrol & diesel) incl. VAG for approx. 20 years and never had to change oil between services.

Anyway I'm still confused the book mentions all the QI codes which I can't find in any manual.

The dealer has crossed the box for fixed servicing so I topped up with the VW 502 00 oil and the light has now gone off.

Would my car have came delivered for Variable or Fixed has the dealer really changed this to fixed for sure.

Hate to think I've used the wrong oil but would normally service every year anyway.

Thanks

Jun 15, 2013
If you are on fixed service intervals 502.00 oil will be perfect.

I've driven many marques (petrol & diesel) incl. VAG for approx. 20 years and never had to change oil between services.
Thanks

A top up is not an oil change, its normal for some cars to use a little as they bed in.

But you should check your oil every few weeks and top up as necessary. That is what the dipstick is for, likewise check your tyre pressures and water levels etc.

The idiot lights on the dash are a final warning, when an oil light comes on its normally too late, lets hope for your sake you are lucky.

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Thanks

Spoke to a mate who's a VAG tech, he says the warning lights are 2 stage, yellow (warning) and red (oops).

Only drove 1 mine when light was on anyway as was on way home, I usually do check every month and was ok in October which was when last checked.

Spoke to dealer who has advised that the car will be set to fixed servicing as they change the cars even though factory is set to variable servicing.

Also checked the car computer and it says next oil service due in 165 days which will take the car to exactly 1 year old.

Now to obtain a spare 502 00 to prevent the light coming on again.

Thanks

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
I need to top mine up as it is starting to look a little low on the dipstick. Was trying to figure out which service plan it is set to, judging by the media unit I'm assuming variable. Looked in the manual and it says to use 504 for fixed or variable (502 is the first option for fixed). Only problem seems to be trying to source 504 oil!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

boltonredgt

Mar 25, 2014
Bolton
502 00 oil is 0w/30 grade
504 00 oil is 5w/30 grade

SEAT recommend Castrol so you could purchase 5w30 FST or 0w/30FST from any good motor factors that supply Castrol oils

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
502 00 oil is 0w/30 grade
504 00 oil is 5w/30 grade

SEAT recommend Castrol so you could purchase 5w30 FST or 0w/30FST from any good motor factors that supply Castrol oils

Thanks, I thought as much. I looked a few 5w-30 and they all stated 502, not 504.

I have some Magnatec 5w-30 left over from when I owned my Fiesta, but it says nothing about VW or VW specs on the label, all too confusing!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Castrol Edge 0W-30 meets the VW 502 00 spec.

I use Castrol Edge 5W-30 in my 1.8TSi, £12 for a litre bottle from Asda. Asda don't seem to stock the 0W-30 stuff though. :(

Just checked the Owner's handbook, petrol engines can use VW 504 00. Castrol Edge 5W-30 meets both the VW 504 00 and VW 507 00 specs so you should be OK with this in your 1.2.

Last edited: