1.2 TSI - Question for current owners

TonyLFC

Hi everyone,

cheers for the replies since. I've found another 1.2 TSI where the dealer is willing to let me have it for 24 hours to get a proper drive out of it, although its the DSG version instead. Still, looking forward to picking it up on Friday, will be strange driving an auto having always had a manual!

According to the figures I've found on the likes of Parkers, the DSG only does 2mpg less than the manual, not a massive loss considering my current petrol spend!

Cougar

Jul 10, 2011
My Boc is my first auto - and I think it's brilliant!

If I have the option will probably stick to Auto's in the future as well!

I don't know about others but I find it just works flawlessly, lightning changes, no loss of power, and adapts to your driving style quickly!

znww5

Mar 27, 2011
@ TonyLFC. Glad you've found a sensible dealer; once you've got used to 'D' on the automatic, give 'S' a try - it certainly livens things up !

As long as you don't do short commutes (where the DPF bungs up), you could also consider the 1.2TDi, pretty similar performance as I recall, but with better fuel figures although no auto version.

Hope you enjoy the car :)

TonyLFC

Sensible dealer - far from it.

They wanted me to sign a form to say I'd buy the car BEFORE I took it for a test drive - I refused to incase I didn't like it. I've recently had an op on my knee which hurts after driving for a while, after stating this and that this was a deciding factor, he wanted me to sign before taking it for an overnight test drive, I asked does this mean if I sign this I have to buy the car, his response was yes.

Came away without the car unfortunately.

Sergio

Jul 27, 2011
Leeds and/or London
I've only really driven a 1.2 TSI on the motorway and it pulled better at 70-90 than the 1.8 Astra SRI I had from Enterprise earlier this week, it was a lot more refined too.

Sergio

Jul 27, 2011
Leeds and/or London
@ TonyLFC. Glad you've found a sensible dealer; once you've got used to 'D' on the automatic, give 'S' a try - it certainly livens things up !

As long as you don't do short commutes (where the DPF bungs up), you could also consider the 1.2TDi, pretty similar performance as I recall, but with better fuel figures although no auto version.

Hope you enjoy the car :)

It's not at all, it's an absolute pig.

Dabbalz

Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
Take a test drive of the FR 2.0 TDI as our lass has seen 80.4mpg on the motorway, I even get 50mpg and I have a heavy right foot. It pulls like crazy and is 8.2 to 62 compared to 9.8. I'd leave the small petrols alone. They seem pointless to me, only 1 tax band lower, higher consumption with lower power, loosing out all round unless you go for the Cupra 1.4TSI, even then your loosing out due to reliability issues. We've had the FR TDI for 3 months and it's done about 6000miles faultlessly.

Feb 8, 2011
The 2.0 Diesel will cost much more to buy, cost more to insure, cost more to tax, be subject to DPF clogging on short trips and will probably be more noisy than a 1.2 TSI.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
The 2.0 Diesel will cost much more to buy, cost more to insure, cost more to tax, be subject to DPF clogging on short trips and will probably be more noisy than a 1.2 TSI.

TSI will also handle better as its lighter, produce less noise & is far more less polluting to the human lungs...

TonyLFC

After a lot of phoning round to SEAT customer care, then speaking to the dealer principal, I finally got an extended test drive without committing to buy the car. Had it for the day yesterday and loved it, it was great on the motorway and round town etc, easy to drive with it being an auto too.

If I can sell my car this week I'll be buying it, and hope no one takes it in the meantime.

Feb 8, 2011
Glad you liked it. Exactly which model was it?

When I was looking into getting mine I looked through all the lists in What Car and discovered that the manual Ibiza 1.2 TSI was what you might call a benchmark car. That is to say the only petrol superminis with better performance used more petrol, and the only ones that were more economical had worse performance.

TonyLFC

It was the Ibiza 1.2 TSI SE DSG.

Went for a manual originally but they wouldn't give me a test drive at a different dealer as the car wasnt registered yet!

Feb 8, 2011
You were lucky to find one to test drive.
At the end of last year they were rare and all I could find was a 1.4. I liked the 1.4 except for the lack of go. When I realised that the 1.2 TSI had about a much torque as a 1.8 litre and that it was available from 1550 rpm I guessed there couldn't be a problem so I went ahead and ordered it.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise