1.2 tsi relay clicking?

jaykicksass

2011 SEAT Leon SE 1.2 tsi
Jun 11, 2009
devon
Hi, my missus has got a 2011 1.2 tsi and love the car. but one thing is really annoying me.
When you are driving along there is a relay clicking away under the steering wheel, by your right knee as you are sat in the seat.
Has anyone come across this?
It doesn't seem to do it at any particular time and its not like it i trying to turn something on like the brake pedal switch of the fuel being stopped when you come off the throttle?

Also should the doors automatically lock as you drive away? because it doesn't. And after you turn the car off it does say on the dash "check Safelock"?

Thanks

Jamie

Last edited:

znww5

Mar 27, 2011
They all do that sir !

"They all do that sir!" This has been discussed on here in the past and you can get the relay moved into the engine bay under warranty.

I did it so long ago I'm not 100% positive, but I think you just hold the door lock button in the centre console down for more than 5 seconds to switch the auto-locking on, then the same again if you want it turned off - it's in the manual somewhere, but has also been covered on here in the past.

A quick forum search should bring up the relevant info :)

jaykicksass

Jun 11, 2009
devon
Thank you for you help. I'll give it a go.
So I should contact the stealer and see what they say?
Anyone know what the relay is for?

znww5

Mar 27, 2011
Here's the info for the relay clicking fix, posted by Fusster in September 2011.

"There is a tpi released for this noise No 2026431/2.
The fix is basicaly to relocate the relay to under the bonnet by the battery.
If you want rid of the noise contact your dealer and it can be sorted for you under warranty.
For info the relay is for the aux water pump (i think someone did say this )
"

Just mention the magic TPI number to the dealer and say you want it fixed.

Thanks again to the original poster - Fusster - for putting this info on the forum.

Feb 8, 2011
Anyone know what the relay is for?

There is an electric pump which circulates coolant around the turbocharger and through the air/water intercooler. The relay you hear is contolling this pump.

jaykicksass

Jun 11, 2009
devon
It's wierd how they have put this relay inside the car on the Ibiza because it must be under the bonnet on my leon as I have no such issue.
Thanks for the help

Feb 8, 2011
I believe it's under the bonnet on Fabia and Polo too. What's more these cars were fitted with the 1.2 TSI before the Ibiza which makes it even more odd.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members