1.2 TSI se petrol cap

JCM27

Apr 15, 2019
Hi all, just picked my 64 plate MK3 on Friday and noticed that the petrol cap opens whether the car is locked/unlocked. Can someone confirm if this is the case?

What's stopping a random person open the cap(while locked) and put random bits in the fuel tank?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Don't know. But that doesn't sound right to me. I thought all fuel caps of the last decade locked with the car to stop someone stealing your fuel! All 3 Leons I've had, if the cars locked, the caps locked.

JCM27

Apr 15, 2019
Exactly my concern! I've had a play about with the lock(single click/double click) but neither locks the cap. Will see what the dealer can do for this.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Hi all, just picked my 64 plate MK3 on Friday and noticed that the petrol cap opens whether the car is locked/unlocked. Can someone confirm if this is the case?

What's stopping a random person open the cap(while locked) and put random bits in the fuel tank?
Sounds like the solenoid may have failed, or it failed in the locked position and someone has broken it to allow the flap to open.

JCM27

Apr 15, 2019
Thanks. Have raised this with the dealer and confirmed it shouldn't be happening. Will fix it as part of the SEAT 1 year warranty I was given.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Thanks. Have raised this with the dealer and confirmed it shouldn't be happening. Will fix it as part of the SEAT 1 year warranty I was given.

The actuators fail, usually in a locked position!

Easy to fix (£20 part) and good the dealer is covering it.

JCM27

Apr 15, 2019
The actuators fail, usually in a locked position!

Easy to fix (£20 part) and good the dealer is covering it.
Yup, it was the actuator failing. Leaving the car on Wednesday evening and hopefully pick it up Thursday evening as it needs a few other things sorted(sunvisors/boot panel).

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise