1.4 act cambelt change cost.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Getting near this time so I have the Seat price but has anyone had an indie do it? One guy I know just won’t do it on these engines, special tools ? But I know an ex vw tech who now works as an indie and might do it, unfortunately he’s on holiday so out of touch for a quote. Any ideas?

dj74

Aug 16, 2017
Wrexham
I've just had mine changed last week with the same engine 1.4 ACT 150hp. Local indie had quoted £280 but when he stripped it he had to order another locking tool(£100) as the one he thought would fit didn't. Anyway, still came in at a reasonable £320. Much better that Dealer wanting £499!!!

Reactions: OJ9693

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Engine locking tools are needed, as with almost all modern engines, but it's not a difficult job. Locking tools for the TSI engines can be had for about £50, i have to do the Leon this summer and the Golf next summer, looking forward to some skin off the knuckles NOT! I know my local indie charges about £350, the belt/idler/tensioner kit is about £75 from Eurocarparts when they have a discount code on. Water pump is not needed as it's at the other end of the engine, though it might be prudent to change it's little drive belt at the same time.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Getting near this time so I have the Seat price but has anyone had an indie do it? One guy I know just won’t do it on these engines, special tools ? But I know an ex vw tech who now works as an indie and might do it, unfortunately he’s on holiday so out of touch for a quote. Any ideas?
If a Seat dealer does it it's covered by a 5 year warranty, also covers any damage caused if it breaks.

Reactions: Rooster

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Engine locking tools are needed, as with almost all modern engines, but it's not a difficult job. Locking tools for the TSI engines can be had for about £50, i have to do the Leon this summer and the Golf next summer, looking forward to some skin off the knuckles NOT! I know my local indie charges about £350, the belt/idler/tensioner kit is about £75 from Eurocarparts when they have a discount code on. Water pump is not needed as it's at the other end of the engine, though it might be prudent to change it's little drive belt at the same time.
Saw an interesting way of changing the belts without locking tools on CAR SOS, the guy cut the belt all the way round the centre thereby giving two belts, he removed the outer belt, pushed the new belt on then cut the remaining part of the old belt off. Don't know if it would work on all engines.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
If a Seat dealer does it it's covered by a 5 year warranty, also covers any damage caused if it breaks.
My service dept told me my car had a chain last year! May have been because the guy was newish but not good if I had accepted that and not checked? Not confidence inspiring.
Same guy told me my headlight replacement job would be up to an hour, not so when I turned up for the job, bumper off so sitting for two hours.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
What's the interval for changing the belt on the 1.4 TSi Act? Do Seat not say the belt does not need changing?

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Saw an interesting way of changing the belts without locking tools on CAR SOS, the guy cut the belt all the way round the centre thereby giving two belts, he removed the outer belt, pushed the new belt on then cut the remaining part of the old belt off. Don't know if it would work on all engines.
I have seen that done, and seen the consequences some time later. You could just about get away with it on camshaft sprockets on a pin or woodruff key, however most modern camshaft sprockets are located on the end of the camshaft by taper fit only held secure by the centre bolt, hence the need for locking/timing tools. I have always stuck to the manufacturers way of doing it without issues on cars and motorcycles.

Reactions: Tivver500
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.