1.4 performance

carl325

Oct 4, 2009
Hi,
Have a 1.4 SE, can any one tell me how many power variations there are for this particular engine?

Deleted member 13581

Which plate is the car?

There were 75bhp, 85/86bhp and 100bhp versions of this engine.

It sounds like yours could have been the 75bhp version though being an SE spec sounds pre 06 when the chaos started and nobody knew what was what. :lol:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Hi,
Have a 1.4 SE, can any one tell me how many power variations there are for this particular engine?

Maybe have a look at the service handbook or the spare wheel well, you should find a build statement label there and if you find BBY then its a 75PS engine (well I seem to remember that the engine type and transmision type are listed on that label).

Cal91

1.4 Powerrr
Sounds like a 75bhp mate.

Easy way to check is... pre-facelift will have either a 75bhp or 100bhp
Does your car have rear disk brakes or are they drums? Drums = 75bhp and disks = 100bhp :)

A pre-facelift SE sounds like a 75bhp version :)
Part ex'ing my 75 for a 100 atm :)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Sounds like a 75bhp mate.

Easy way to check is... pre-facelift will have either a 75bhp or 100bhp
Does your car have rear disk brakes or are they drums? Drums = 75bhp and disks = 100bhp :)

A pre-facelift SE sounds like a 75bhp version :)
Part ex'ing my 75 for a 100 atm :)

That is a bit strange, I would have thought that a 2002 1.4 SE Ibiza would have rear discs, my wife's same year/trim level Polo has rear discs - I thought that it was only the later ones that got cheapened up a bit.

Cal91

1.4 Powerrr
No, I believe only the Sport models with the 100bhp engine had disks. But I could be wrong!
French cars seem to always have rear disks on their Sport models, but I guess its where Seat are saving money?
It's been like that all the way through from 2002-2008. You could get a facelift 86bhp Ibiza and it'll have rear drums.
I wasn't sure the facelift's had been cheapened up :confused:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I wasn't sure the facelift's had been cheapened up :confused:

That is called progress, evolution, or a really good idea from an accountant! It also allows the next model, when its launched, to have lots of "new" features that the previous one did not have. It really is a joke when VAG miss out things like rear discs on a Seat, when the same or equivalent VW model still had them - the facelifted Polo 1.4 of course did lose its rear discs - no doubt for the reasons I suggested earlier. In all honesty, these cars just do not use their back brakes much so drums are adequate - its just easier to keep discs in good working order as opposed to drums which tend to get ignored!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I don't know if Seat every offered this on the Ibiza, but VW offered "BRAKE BOOST" forgotten the proper name, and if this option was fitted then the cars always got rear discs. So maybe that clouds the clearing picture a bit! Brake boost was that option that worked out when you panic'd braked and held the brakes full on even if you eased of as the ABS sorted things out. I believe Merc had to disable this on the A class, I spec'd it on my wife's Polo along with ESP.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.