1.4 tsi 180, would you buy one? Warranty

MattMK5

Jul 7, 2013
Having just bought one late last year (March 2012 registered) and run into the misfire within 5 months, now have had a new (CTHE) engine put in – yes, I probably would.

Don’t think the CTHE went into the Cupras until just before the facelift (late 2012?), check the build sticker on the polystyrene spare wheel surround under the boot floor. Battery in boot isn’t a guide either, these (inc ours) still had CAVE engines. Don’t know how to spot CTHE engine if you suspect it’s been changed, not sure any external differences.

I’d look for the condition of the exhaust and surround, really sooty means high oil and / or fuel consumption. I’d check the fuel consumption if I could (run it until warm then zero the MPG guide pressing small button under right stalk, use end buttons to cycle through display). Drive ‘normally’ without using the loud pedal, you should get 35+ mpg, if it;s under 30mpg walk away.

And get as much warranty (covering all aspects of the engine) as you can.

It’s a great little car, brings a smile to the face in direct proportion to how far the right pedal is pressed down!

This has got me a bit worried now!

I picked my Cupra up on Friday, an April 2010 model with the CAVE engine, battery in the engine bay.

On the way back to Milton Keynes from Amersham (Mainly A roads) I was getting a steady 37MPG, however on my short commute to work with plenty of stop start and roundabouts (If you know MK you'll know what I mean!) and about a 8 mile journey, I've been getting 24MPG yesterday and then raising to 27MPG today.

I did give it some on Sunday in sport mode which obviously dropped the average, so should I be worried?

I've yet to have any proper free time with the car so I haven't checked the oil but I shall be doing tomorrow, any tips?

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
The 37mpg sounds fine, the 24 / 27 less so - but the economy when cold is poor, I believe it double squirts the injectors (we used to call it the choke!) when cold.

Ours (now with CTHE engine) is in the 20s for the first few miles but recovers to 35/36 doing 40-50 on mainly B roads (stuck behind something else usually) for around 12/13 miles but with only a few stop / starts.

I think yours sounds OK (apart from living with mid 20s on the commute)!

MattMK5

Jul 7, 2013
The 37mpg was with a bit of a spirited drive with dad's RS4 on the way home too, which I was suprised at!

That might be the issue then, it is a short commute. I'm taking it to Dub Fiction at the weekend which is about 2 hours away so it will be interesting to see the MPG and oil use.

That has given me a bit of relief though, was starting to get a bit worried as I'm loving the car already!

No worse that my 1.6 polo GTI before ;)

Cupra Curn

Aug 30, 2010
Swindon
Had mine 3 years now from new Its done 47000 miles and not had a problem. Does really seem to be hit or miss. I average mid 30's normally but hit low 40's when on the motorway

Deleted member 49882

I am on to my second Boc. No problems whatsoever with it. Really is hit or miss ... like it is with any car from any manufacturer. However, you could always ask for extended warranty if you really are worried.

WJs

MeepMeep
Oct 26, 2006
Netherlands
I dont know how it is in the UK atm with Car sales but here in Dutchyland its pretty damn bad, so i'm guessing you should have some leverage trying to get extended warranty on it.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.