1.4 TSi ACT 150 - on order!

halsall1987

Jul 22, 2012
Basingstoke
Hi all,

I've been a member on SC.net for a few years having owned a MK1 Leon Cupra, but have just ordered a new 1.4 TSi ACT FR this week! :funk: Decided to wait until 1st Sept though for the 64 reg :)

The dealer explained that they are moving to the ACT as of 1st July to replace all previous non-ACT. I test drove the non-ACT and was impressed, does anyone have the ACT engine yet, I'd like to hear some first hand experiences.

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
The dealer explained that they are moving to the ACT as of 1st July to replace all previous non-ACT. I test drove the non-ACT and was impressed, does anyone have the ACT engine yet, I'd like to hear some first hand experiences.
Only available on the Golf and A3 at the moment. As your dealer advised, will be available on the Leon for the 2015 MY changes coming in July.

weeally

Feb 15, 2014
like the sound of this I delayed my order as its a tax free car and im not back out the uk until september so now been told ill get it sept 5th on the new reg so ill assume ill get the ACT version now? I originally ordered 1.4 tsi fr in emocion red. Might give them a call tomorrow and find out.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
I must admit I cannot see much benefit in ACT apart from a marginal increase in MPG. Just another ploy to keep the EU emission overlords happy with no tangible benefit to the user.

If it costs an extra £400 then it would take about 50 years to get your money back from the fuel saving.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
I did type 50 but it was a bit of a Clarksonism!

Either way, I doubt you would recoup the cost over the time you own the car, but if it keeps Brussels happy, so be it!

Now, the extra 10hp would be nice assuming it really is an increase, some have said that the 140 figure is conservative.

NBSmith78

Sep 20, 2004
Cambridge
Did you have to explicitly ask your dealer for the 150 bhp variant? Or are all 1.4 TSI orders placed now going to get that engine?

Am test driving the 1.4 TSI later this week. Much like halsall1987 I was a Mk1 Cupra owner years ago, and will hopefully be returning to these forums soon if the test drive goes well :)

Walpurgis

Feb 5, 2013
I've just had a look at the configurator on SEAT's Spanish Web site and it now lists the 1.4 ACT TSi with a rating of 150hp. There is no DSG option and the only other 1.4 engine listed is non-ACT and has a 125hp rating.

The ACT engine has an emission figure of 109g/km which, I think, puts it in a lower UK tax bracket than the non-ACT version on 119g/km. The official combined fuel consumption figure is 4.7 l/100km (around 60mpg) with 5.8 (48 mpg) for the urban rating, and 4.2 (67 mpg) for the extra-urban. The corresponding figures for the non-ACT version are 53.3, 43.5 and 61.4 mpg. (All of these are for the SC version.)

The Spanish configurator also lists the dynamic pack option (including adaptive chassis control) for €660. Curiously, the adaptive cruise control option costs €380 (about £310) in Spain, compared to £500 in the UK.

JohnNW

The Spanish configurator also lists the dynamic pack option (including adaptive chassis control) for €660. Curiously, the adaptive cruise control option costs €380 (about £310) in Spain, compared to £500 in the UK.

The dynamic chassis control pack (adaptive damping & progressive steering) is a £1300 option over here! It's more than the same kit on an A3.

It's made me pause on ordering as a similarly equipped Golf GTD is only an extra £30 a month on PCP over a FR184 5dr.

NBSmith78

Sep 20, 2004
Cambridge
Did you have to explicitly ask your dealer for the 150 bhp variant? Or are all 1.4 TSI orders placed now going to get that engine?

Visited my local dealer this week. To answer my own question all Leon FR 1.4 TSI factory orders will get the 150 bhp ACT engine.

Last edited:

Walpurgis

Feb 5, 2013
Drive The Deal is now listing prices for the new engines. (SEAT's latest pricelist, dated May, doesn't show the new prices yet.)

If DtD is right, then the 110hp version of the five-door 1.2S will have an OTR price of £16,114 (was £15,850 for the 105hp version). The 110hp SE will cost £17,235 ( was £16,970).

The new 1.4 SE with the lower 125hp rating is £17,835 (the 140hp SE was £18,020).

The 1.4 FR with the 150hp ACT engine is £19,999 - the non-ACT version was £19,565.

There is no DSG version of the new ACT FR listed, although I believe this option is available in Germany.

Most options seem to be going up in price - typically by £5 or £10. But, according to DtD, metallic paint will now be an extra £530 (was £495).

One curiosity is that DtD is not listing the interior LED lighting option. I don't know whether this is mistake or whether the option has been dropped or made standard.

NBSmith78

Sep 20, 2004
Cambridge
Another one on order!

The test drive went well, order has been placed!

We test drove:
  • Leon ST FR 1.4 TSI
  • Leon ST FR 2.0 TDI (184)
  • Octavia VRS 2.0 TDI
  • Volvo V60 D4 (new 181 bhp engine)
The Volvo V60 is a good looking car, and the cabin is mostly (see below) a very nice place to be. However we quickly eliminated it due to the tiny boot - which isn't much bigger than our current VW Golf GTI. Another negative was the plethora of quite intrusive driver aids (OK some are optional) and the poorly laid out and overly complicated controls. I was pleasantly surprised that it did drive very nicely, and the new D4 181 bhp engine is pretty sweet!

I quite liked the Octavia VRS, but it wasn't popular with my wife due to the conservative styling. End of story.

So it was down to the Leon ST FR, which ticked all the boxes. Only decision was petrol vs diesel. Our average mileage puts us on the cusp of needing a diesel, but certainly leaves the door open for petrol. In the end the lower price and better refinement of the petrol won the day, despite the slightly lower performance and fuel economy.

So order placed, now the impatient waiting begins.... :D

BTW, orders before end of June will beat the price rise, and get the 2015 Model Year changes.

Last edited:

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
The test drive went well, order has been placed!

We test drove:
  • Leon ST FR 1.4 TSI
  • Leon ST FR 2.0 TDI (184)
  • Octavia VRS 2.0 TDI
  • Volvo V60 D4 (new 181 bhp engine)
The Volvo V60 is a good looking car, and the cabin is mostly (see below) a very nice place to be. However we quickly eliminated it due to the tiny boot - which isn't much bigger than our current VW Golf GTI. Another negative was the plethora of quite intrusive driver aids (OK some are optional) and the poorly laid out and overly complicated controls. I was pleasantly surprised that it did drive very nicely, and the new D4 181 bhp engine is pretty sweet!

I quite liked the Octavia VRS, but it wasn't popular with my wife due to the conservative styling. End of story.

So it was down to the Leon ST FR, which ticked all the boxes. Only decision was petrol vs diesel. Our average mileage puts us on the cusp of needing a diesel, but certainly leaves the door open for petrol. In the end the lower price and better refinement of the petrol won the day, despite the slightly lower performance and fuel economy.

So order placed, now the impatient waiting begins.... :D

BTW, orders before end of June will beat the price rise, and get the 2015 Model Year changes.

Useful comparison, and either tdi or tsi are a good choice. What kind of mileage are you doing per year at the mo? I have read reports of the 1.4tsi being on par with the 184 tdi for economy.

NBSmith78

Sep 20, 2004
Cambridge
Useful comparison, and either tdi or tsi are a good choice. What kind of mileage are you doing per year at the mo? I have read reports of the 1.4tsi being on par with the 184 tdi for economy.

At the moment we do about 12-15k per year I reckon - a mix of very short town runs and very long motorway journeys.

Quoted Leon ST combined economy figures from the configurator on Spanish Seat site (where they've updated the data to include the upgraded TSI engine) are:

1.4 TSI ACT 150: 4.8l/100km
2.0 TDI 184: 4.3l/100km

By my reckoning we wouldn't get close to recouping the additional cost of purchasing the diesel model, even if we kept the car for a very long time!

Last edited:

JackReacher

Jun 20, 2013
Is there any chance this engine will get DSG in the near future, it's available on the golf and A3