1.4 tsi act fr coilpack removal

Imperial

Jan 10, 2006
My 64 plate is booked in for a 40k service and my usual mechanic is nervous about doing the plugs as he says the coilpack shrouds have a habit of breaking when removing. Is this a genuine concern? Is there a special tool or something?

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
I have changed mine both on the Ibiza and Leon with this engine, the coil packs are held in place with a bolt, and once removed they do take some pulling off by hand, tell him to go slow and be patient!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Or if that garage is preparing for the future, why can't he buy a coil removal tool, they don't cost much, it has an expanding section that fits down into the hole left when the retaining bolt is removed, then you draw up a tapered wedge that expands the lower section, making removal a lot easier. the tool becomes a handle to pull these coils out with.

I do agree with the above comments though, I bought the correct tool before trying to remove that design of coil, and I reckon that I could have removed them without it - a lot easier to remove without special tools than some earlier coils used by VAG!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members