1.4 TSI bad turbo/racechip.com

Mar 6, 2019
Hello,I had the racechip GTS for 1.4 150HP 250NM and it gained my engine 45HP and 75NM i had it installed for two days the car was perfectly fine i felt the power gain and the engine ran perfectly and the turbo's sound sounded better but after two days i was driving and gave a kick down and there was a sudden power loss and rpm drop from the second to third gear i pulled my leg from the peddle then the car ran normally again,about 500 meters later the car suddenly stopped and the check engine light came on and the car didn't run i disconnected the chip and tried to restart the engine it took some effort but it ran with the check engine light one and the car is in something like a safemode limiting the rpm to 1500 just began to drive i found a lot of white smoke coming out from the exhaust i stopped the car immediately and took it to the dealer apparently the turbo had almost all of the engine's oil through the air intake down to the combustion chamber burning almost all of the oil in the engine and the turbo is now worn out because it leaks oil.i have made a turbo replacement but now im left stuck with the chip i have contacted racechip.com and they claim that the turbo was already faulty and the chip just made the problem come out and it shouldn't happen on the new turbo but im not feeling good connecting the chip again.so i want help if racechip's claim is true that i already had a bad turbo and what should i do to avoid another problem bearing in mind that the car is 2019 model and when this happened the car only had 16000km on it.

Thanks.

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
I ran the racechip on my leon 1.4tsi 150 bhp so I think this is a like for like comparison. I never had any problems on it through the entire two years I had it on the car.

What adjustment setting were you running? There were 6 on mine. I never put it above 4.

I'm also using the racechip on another car (2005 honda civic 1.7 diesel). That has also been fine but I have noticed that if I have it set anywhere above 3 then it will occasionally go into limp mode.

Hope that helps. I have no idea whether you had a pre existing problem or not, not sure how Racechip can claim that either.

Always had good experiences with them though very helpful and knowledgeable about their product.

To my understanding and experience the Racechip solution works in exactly the same way as other such tuning boxes (e.g. DTUK), so you could ask for other peoples experiences with using those ones.

Hope you get it sorted soon. I suppose it's always a risk we run fitting these tuning upgrades.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
Get the dealers opinion. They'll have seen the chip, no doubt, so there will be no chance of a warranty claim.
I dont think they can see that type of chip as just connected to sensors not ecu.
Dealers dont know much about these cars anyway.they can work from how to do program.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.