1.4 TSI Oil Consumption

Chrisallman

Jul 15, 2015
Some people have had new engines some have had top end rebuilds some have had bottom end rebuilds and some people have had a modified breather fitted from seat, it all depends on what damage is done to the engine

To be honest i new what i was getting into when i first brought my fr and then aftet with my cupra they say the CATH engines are revised versions of the CAVE so check your engine code and if you think theres a problem get it sorted sooner rather than later p.s also make sure you have warranty

Mine is cave and has had work done in past including Pistons replaced
But still uses a lot of oil but within seats guidelines and it's over 5 years old so guessing out of warranty? Nothing I can do?

cupra_conal

Oct 6, 2014
Mine is cave and has had work done in past including Pistons replaced
But still uses a lot of oil but within seats guidelines and it's over 5 years old so guessing out of warranty? Nothing I can do?

You can purchase extra warranty from seat or you can look online loads of people have done this. Or with regards to issues you could play your face and email/phone seat uk and see if they can knock down the price of anywork or replacements of work that needs doing, im sure its about 4-5000 for a new engine and similar price for a dsg box too so not like its spare cash you have lying about hense why people have aftermarket warranties

st3ph3n

Feb 18, 2013
North Lanarkshire
My car went out of warranty in April so I took out SEAT's own extended warranty knowing that this issue was always a possibility. It was £202.79 for a year.

I suppose the next thought would be that does it reach a point where it's effectively uneconomical to fix it?

IvoLour

Oct 3, 2015
Paris, France
I would like to know how it's going for those that had the oil spray jets done in the long term. If the whole consumption came back or if they had any problems regarding piston rings wear due to the modification...
Anyone?

Fino252

Nov 10, 2015
Stoke on trent
Hi I'm a new member and had my 13 plate Ibiza cupra since February, it had 9k on the clock when I got it. After a few weeks of ownership I realised it had an oil consumption issue. It would use around 1 litre in 700 miles. I had the oil spray jet mod and a software update done in August, I've now done 2000 miles since the work and has not used a drop of oil.

Fino252

Nov 10, 2015
Stoke on trent
Seat uk would not do anything until I had the test, the problem was they said it had to be done over a 60 mile run which I would not agree to because the consumption was over short trips on my daily commute which is 9 miles each way. I could go London and back 350 miles and hardly notice any use. I said it wasn't a fair test it needs to be over 600 miles normal day to day use, but they wouldn't budge. This went on for weeks, in the end i took it to the dealers for them to do the test but they just did the work.

Chrisallman

Jul 15, 2015
My girlfriends neighbour is a sales manager at seat dealer near where I live. Am going to speak to him to seek advice. He did warn me off the car before I bought it which says a lot

Fino252

Nov 10, 2015
Stoke on trent
I did a lot of research into the issue and came to the conclusion that I needed for spray jets done so I pushed the dealer for it think that's why they did it without the test. Mine is the cthe engine.

Chrisallman

Jul 15, 2015
Mines the cave and with it being 2010 will be out of Warrenty. Still worth a try contacting them to see what they say

Fino252

Nov 10, 2015
Stoke on trent
Defo see what they say, from what I can gather if paying for the work its around £500. Also since the work my mpg has gone up I am getting 50 more miles per tank.

Chrisallman

Jul 15, 2015
Just spoke to some people on the skoda forum and they have had same problem but have had the spray mod free of charge. Also Audi and VW have completed this free of charge for other users.

I have contacted seat now explaining I would like to open a goodwill claim explaining the situation. Skoda users have explained they will drag their feet but we must continue to say we have completed our research and know firmly what the problem is and want it sorted. Am guessing they rely will be offering a oil test which I will have to pay for.

st3ph3n

Feb 18, 2013
North Lanarkshire
If they'd contacted me at any point in the last 2 years to do this fix, knowing my car was borderline, then they might potentially have saved themselves something much more expensive. I've done 115 miles since last half litre went in, so I'm fully expecting to go back to the car after work today and get the yellow light of doom, or for it to happen tomorrow morning.

Chrisallman

Jul 15, 2015
Within ten minutes of emailing them I have a missed call off them and a voicemail saying they would like to speak to me with out my concern.

Correct! I will back my self up saying the test is pointless the problem is there and work needs done.

More eco friendly engines yet they burn oil? Great design

Chrisallman

Jul 15, 2015
Spoke to a case manager and he basically acted clueless. Said I need to go in for a test and then if it fails if any mod needed carried out seat would consider a % of the costs as a goodwill depending on my service history etc. So am looking at £200 test plus £500 plus mod

cupra_conal

Oct 6, 2014
You want to gather evidence of problems with these engines print or email it to them request a fix and tell them the problem is not by yourself but with seat as many have had the problem yhey hate it when you have evidence as a back up as your basically proving them liable....but if you havnt got warranty or aftermarket warranty do expect to pay for the fix as seat uk will only pay a %

Chrisallman

Jul 15, 2015
You want to gather evidence of problems with these engines print or email it to them request a fix and tell them the problem is not by yourself but with seat as many have had the problem yhey hate it when you have evidence as a back up as your basically proving them liable....but if you havnt got warranty or aftermarket warranty do expect to pay for the fix as seat uk will only pay a %

Yes that's the conclusion I have come too. Funny how the people I spoke to on skoda forum got theirs done at no cost out of Warrenty though. I really can't afford it the estimated cost would be around £700 and it's just not viable. Think I will just have to invest in some oil and monitor my cars usage.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.