1.4 TSI Oil Consumption

Chrisallman

Jul 15, 2015
My work will probably be the same as yours am guessing. 6-7 weeks would be roughly the same as mine then? Am guessing this is the best we will get out of it haha

As long as we keep check and don't run dry we should be fine just a bit of a pain

Do you love the car though? It hasn't made you want to sell?

beano_cupra

Dec 27, 2013
Ripley, Derbyshire
Ha yeah probably! It may even be longer but it's just topping up now rather than filling up fully! Yes I love it, had it 2 years now and wouldn't change it because of any issues

Chrisallman

Jul 15, 2015
Any further problems?

Mine is out of 5 year warranty so am guessing I wouldn't get a new engine?

st3ph3n

Feb 18, 2013
North Lanarkshire
As an update on mine - I thought it had got worse recently so I started tracking it:

Mileage Oil added
28338 0.5
28463 0.5
28600 0.5

So as you can see it's gone through 1 litre of oil in 262 miles. I went to see the garage today but was too late for the service department so they'll be getting a call on Monday. When the car's been running for a reasonable period of time then it's started exhibiting some problems too. If I come to a stop then pull away, or slow down at a roundabout for instance, it can sound somewhat diesel like, and it almost feels like it's going to stall between 1st and 2nd.

It's somewhat sporadic, and somewhat reproducable by putting it in manual, shifting to the highest gear it will allow, then trying to accelerate without auto kick down.

This could be complete nonsense on my part, but I always had a sort of feeling about when it was going to tell me it needed oil. The sign was just a slight difference on how the DSG changed gears. There was almost a sense that it was slipping it a little bit. It's one of those things that's really hard to explain and put in to words.

I'm getting near 3 years with this car so it'll be time to move it on, but I don't think I can do that in good conscience until this is fixed.

st3ph3n

Feb 18, 2013
North Lanarkshire
Booked in with the dealer a week today. They've been most helpful, again, but this time SEAT weren't interested in paying for the consumption test. If it doesn't fail this time I'll be very surprised. Obliviously if it fails they will pay for it, and pay for whatever needs fixed.

Chrisallman

Jul 15, 2015
How much was the test? Do you know what spark plugs you have in it currently? I've read that it's recommend they are changed to a different plug but can't find the info anywhere

Chrisallman

Jul 15, 2015
I forgot to get the final figure for the test but I think it's £200 or so? If it passes I'll eat my hat!

mine is currently within the limit so mine would pass the test so I'm not going to bother with the test unless it gets worse. Be interesting to see what work seat complete on your car when it does fail so please upload it.

just checked my work history completed by seat which is

cylinder 4 misfire and loss of compression

replaced cylinder, new gaskets sealants etc and replaced all 4 spark plugs

looks like this smoothed over oil consumption of mine a bit in the past but I have a feeling it will get worse as it ages.

st3ph3n

Feb 18, 2013
North Lanarkshire
Mine is actually the FR rather than the Cupra, but I believe it's the same hardware just with a different tune. I think barring 3 or 4 fillups it's been Tesco 99 for mine since I've owned it. SEAT actually owned the car before me. It was 9 months old and had done just shy of 6000 miles when I bought it.

Chrisallman

Jul 15, 2015
It's just as good as v power I've heard. Was just a thought to whether the fuel would improve it am not mmechanic but am sure it will make engine run smoother.

cupra_conal

Oct 6, 2014
200 quid for the test? Is this a joke? I took mine it they topped ot right up said do 600 miles then bring it back they didnt say anything about no charge if anything all im gunna do is pay for the top up of oil failing that seat will get an email

st3ph3n

Feb 18, 2013
North Lanarkshire
200 quid for the test? Is this a joke? I took mine it they topped ot right up said do 600 miles then bring it back they didnt say anything about no charge if anything all im gunna do is pay for the top up of oil failing that seat will get an email

Depends how much it's using as to whether it needs the full test or not. Mine is now using half a litre in 150 miles. If I did 600 miles without a top up the thing would probably be drier than the sahara. The full test involves a complete drain of the oil, filled with a very specific amount, driven for a set distance, drained and weighed to calculate usage. Fluids, time, maybe a filter? Adds up.

cupra_conal

Oct 6, 2014
Has anyone actually solved or know anyone who has solved the oil problem? Looks like a we are fighting a loosing battle?

Some people have had new engines some have had top end rebuilds some have had bottom end rebuilds and some people have had a modified breather fitted from seat, it all depends on what damage is done to the engine

To be honest i new what i was getting into when i first brought my fr and then aftet with my cupra they say the CATH engines are revised versions of the CAVE so check your engine code and if you think theres a problem get it sorted sooner rather than later p.s also make sure you have warranty

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise