1.4 tsi or 184 dsg

JamieD

Jan 1, 2018
Hi guys, Recently I have changed jobs and doing a lot more miles now so was wondering if it would be wise changing to a diesel. I currently have the 1.4 tsi 140 which is a great little car and is averaging around 42 to 46 mpg on the run to and back from work (depending on traffic) which I think is really good. I have saw a nice 184 dsg fr with low miles for sale and was wondering how much better on fuel it would be over the 1.4? Also are there any common problems on the 184 engine to look out for?

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Depends what miles / typical types of journey you are doing. I would say if more than 12k miles a year, mainly 40-70mph speeds, flowing traffic go TDI, if mainly city or 20-50mph speeds and under 10k miles a year, go TSI :).

I have had a 2.0TDI 150 and 1.0TSI (1.4 is not that much less economical than the 1.0)l. In city driving, and up to about 50mph...the 1.0TSI is very good on fuel. I did east London to Wembley (about 15 miles yday), did just under 60mpg relatively smooth drive. Westfield Stratfod, to WestField Whitecity, Sun AM, via London City, Kings Cross etc, did 50mpg.
Highway trips (~70mph cruise), I would get about 49-53mpg. With a 2.0TDI, highways, I would get 59-62mpg.

So it's really down to you what journeys you do. Of course, the 2.0TDI 184 has more go!

Judging by the mpgs you are getting to and from work, I can only assume, the traffic isn't so bad, if you can get mid 40s mpg. On the TDI, you may see things around the early 50mpg mark like for like

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Much of the negative publicity in the media on diesels (not all justified IMO) is likely to have an impact on future resale value when the time comes to sell a diesel. Also, from an mpg perspective, fuel economy of diesels tend to suffer in the colder / winter months (from experience of owning a number of VW diesels in the past, around 10-15% worse than in the warmer, summer months), so you might not see much improvement in mpg of the 184 diesel over your current car during the winter.

I’d keep the 1.4 petrol.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
I certainly wouldn't change for the sake of a few mpg. Keep the 1.4 until its time is up, then decide whether to switch to diesel or replace it with another petrol.

JamieD

Jan 1, 2018
Thanks for the replies guys, Going to be keeping my current car. So time for some mods

Nickbrapp

Apr 16, 2018
love my 184 with dsg, with the acc and lane keeping assist it just makes driving on the motorway so easy

be sad to see it go

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.