1.4tsi 123bhp mods

kylemartin93

Feb 3, 2017
Derry, NI
Hi guys,

What are the options and limitations with this engine? I only drive around town mostly so it is nippy enough but wouldn't mind a bit more power as the diesel I had before although not being any quicker from a standing start, had a lot more power once on the move so I miss it a little bit.

Remaps seem to go to 150bhp but seen a couple where the original dyno run had bhp around 130 anyway. Is this normal or just faulty readings? Also, what are the weak components on this engine and what is the likely limitations with the turbo, clutch, flywheel, intercooler etc? Was thinking of a turbo upgrade down the line or is this not really worthwhile considering?

Thanks in advance :)

GhulamAfzal11

Feb 14, 2017
Wakefield
Hi mate,

This is my honest opinion but I always say if you've bought a 1.4TSI running 123bhp you need to set realistic expectations. My neighbour had one (his was an 09' plate) they're very economical to run and fairly nippy for a 1.4 but its only a 1.4 so you can't expect that car to be extremely fast like a Cupra for example.

I always say if you wanted a turbo instead of the hassle putting a tubro into your 1.4 just buy a Cupra or something faster as it saves the hassle. But that's just my personal opinion, if it really bugs you go for a stage 1 or 2 remap. There's loads of information on here and Revo have their own section in the forum too.

kylemartin93

Feb 3, 2017
Derry, NI
Oh I completely get where you were coming from and tbh I don't have too much appetite for plowing a fortune into it to get it to the same power as a mapped 2l diesel. What kind of gains are to be expected from a customer stage 1 map and what does a stage 2 map typically involve/achieve?

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
You should be looking at getting at least 150bhp out of it with a stage one, but then you might need other bits like clutch if it starts slipping due to the extra power.

kylemartin93

Feb 3, 2017
Derry, NI
I would have thought a standard clutch should be able to cope with that amount of torque. Surely they are not that badly spec's are they?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

GhulamAfzal11

Feb 14, 2017
Wakefield
Just go for a stage 1 mate if you really want to do it, an intercooler wouldn't be necessary as you're not going for anything crazy. You'd expect around 150bhp give or take for a remap.

You could also consider a racechip, its a tuning box which is fitted to the car and takes 10 minutes to setup. Works the same way as a remap but it can be removed whenever you like ie: if you want to sell the car. It was produced in Germany I'd check it out too.

kylemartin93

Feb 3, 2017
Derry, NI
I appreciate the suggestion but piggy back boxes are a gimmick in my eyes. Sending false data to the ecu in order to produce more power is just not a smart move. It is a used 2012 car so no need to worry about warranty after April as the 3 months will be up.

GhulamAfzal11

Feb 14, 2017
Wakefield
Yeah I completely understand that, I'm not a fan of them either but just was a suggestion. Revo are on the forum you could contact them for a stage 1.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise